SASS Wire Forum

Easy-Fast Way to Load Federal Primers into the Dillon Tubes

John Boy

... I detest the way Federal packages their primers. Makes it hard to dump the tray with the majority of the primers bottoms down

So, here's the fastest way I've determined to charge the Dillon tubes:

* Dump the primers onto a cotton towel

* Lightly rub the primers with the palm of your hand

* The bottoms of the primers roll over face down on the towel

* Bada Bing Bada Boom into the tube ... Done the Jersey Way! :D

When I'm having a slow day I dump out Fed primers & put them in Winchester trays with the correct side up . Yeah, I know, but I don't have a life & it fills the time,

Yusta - Federal trays are larger than the Winchester trays. How do you control the primers that spill all over?

I pick them up and place them by hand. About 20% usually fail to find a spot in the Win tray. Like I said, it's just a rote time killer for me. I actually enjoy such inane operations. But then I hear some different tunes...... :blink::D :D

Edited by Yusta B.

I bought a Frankfort Arsenal version of the hornady filler but misplaced it when I got home on that trip so been using the Dillon trays i load a thousand at a time the load until they are empty then reload the tubes

I use a flipper tray. Then I don't have to handle primers with my hands.

+1 Been using the flipper tray for years! ;)

HERE! Take my money! I gotta get one of those!

I'll PM you my address. I take cash, check or money order.

Seriously, I HATE filling primer tubes. I'm retired but I would rather waste my time doing something else. I bought one of those Italian ones that were out a few years ago. As I recall it was over $150.00 but worth every penny.

I have been using flip trays for years. Just bought the Frankford Arsenal primer tube filler. Takes a bit to get the hang of it, but I think it does speed things up a bit. I normally fill 5 or 6 tubes at a time.

HERE! Take my money! I gotta get one of those!

I don't want one of the tube fillers but NOW I'm interested in a lock n load bushing system. The video might have something to do with it.

I don't want one of the tube fillers but NOW I'm interested in a lock n load bushing system. The video might have something to do with it.

I just saw one of the primer fillers at a local store and posted the link. Didn't know there was a video. I too want to lock and load!

I purchased a Frankfort Arsenal tube filler 3 years ago, they were on sale for some LOW price. I haven't pecked primers now in three years. I purchased another one nib for 10 bucks just to get the tubes.

Blackfoot :)

Even with the way cool gadgets, John Boy will still need to get all the primers facing the same way, back to the flip tray :D

Always used a RCBS flip tray. Have never dropped a single primer

+1 Have I mentioned the delay to post is a PIA, IMHO anyway! Coulda loaded a tube by now LOL

Always used a RCBS flip tray. Have never dropped a single primer

Me too and Me neither, although gravity will reach up and snatch one every now and again. ;)

I dump 'em in a big Dillon primer flipper, pick up the ones that are the right way, then flip the tray over and get the rest of them. Maybe marginally faster than shaking the tray to get 'em all right the first time, maybe not.

• Like 2

I purchased a Frankfort Arsenal tube filler 3 years ago, they were on sale for some LOW price. I haven't pecked primers now in three years. I purchased another one nib for 10 bucks just to get the tubes.

Blackfoot :)

I had one but no matter what I tried it kept flipping primers over on me. Finally in frustration I gave it to another reloader and he hasn't talked to me since. Good thing he didn't owe me any money. LOL

Ultimate in laziness. Dillon RF-100 primer filler.

Simply dump the primers in the top, push the button and load ammo while the machine loads the primers.

Expensive, but convenient!

NN

Found one of these under the Christmas Tree a few years ago--I hate to admit it but I'm spoiled.

Did learn the translucent plastic part that covers the hole inside the machine can bend down from spending several summers in a Texas garage.

WARNING--DO NOT DO THIS--IT IS DANGEROUS (for information only): since I had to take the heavy lexan clear cover off now and then I just threaded the bolts in from the bottom of their holes and the cover sits on them aligned correctly. If something went wrong inside (like a boom) figure the cover would take off like a rocket through the ceiling and roof.

but then I used to jump out of perfectly good government airplanes in my youth

cr

Ultimate in laziness. Dillon RF-100 primer filler.

Simply dump the primers in the top, push the button and load ammo while the machine loads the primers.

Expensive, but convenient!

NN

+1 Have not filled a tube by hand in years.

Seriously, I HATE filling primer tubes. I'm retired but I would rather waste my time doing something else. I bought one of those Italian ones that were out a few years ago. As I recall it was over $150.00 but worth every penny.

Yes this is what I did. I just fill one tube and load 100 then refill. Hand pecking 10 tubes full at a time would not be my idea of fun.

Fordyce

When I am loading, I load several hundred a day. I have 10 primer tubes so I can load a brick of primers in them. I turn a 100 box of Federals upside down over a Dillion flip tray, and very slowly move the outer slide cardboard box over the flip tray allowing primers to land on the flip tray. Make sure the rings inside cover of the flip tray are on the table with rings up and other flip tray top is off. While sliding the outer box off, keep the primers falling into the flip tray. rapidly ove the flip tray back and forth on a flat surface until all primers are faced one direction. Put cover on flip tray and slowly holding flip tray together, turn over the flip tray and set it back on flat surface. Remove top of flip tray and all primers are ready to pick up manually in a primer tray. I can load 1000 primers in 10 tubes in about 15 to 30 minutes depending on interruptions.

Loading only 3 to 5 hundred at a time and maybe a thousand a day, I can get my maximum of 10,000 rounds for a years shooting or more in a couple of weeks. After loading my rounds my wife runs every single one through a case checker and sorts the rounds by manufacture into separate boxes of 100 which I label. My brass is about 70% Starline, 25 % Winchester and rest 5% mixed bag for practice.

Edited by Gold Canyon Kid #43974

• 1 month later...

I have two of the Frankford arsenal vibra tubes. They hang up about 5-8 times while I'm loading 100, & I have to take it apart each time & straighten it out. I've tried everything from holding it at different angles, tapping it on the bench, using silicone spray (don't do this one), whatever I could think of. I even bought the 2nd one thinking maybe it was the one, but the new one does the same thing.

This machine is a pain, but it's better than using the pickup tubes.

If I knew the Hornady works perfectly, or close to perfectly, I'll spring for the price.

Good tip John Boy, I'll try it when I run out of my favorite, Tula Ammo primers, which come out of the box already turned the right way!

Dillon Flip tray. Make sure ribbed side of open flip tube is up and on flat surface. Slowly slide primer holder liner out of Federal box bottom as primers fall onto open flip tray. Move flip tray around until all primer impact sides are faced up. Put lid on flip tray holding it tight and turn upside down on flat surface. Remove ribbed side of flip tray and you are ready to load primer tubes.