SASS Wire Forum

Picked up a Savage 1899

Yes, I know it's not SASS legal, but I've always wanted on! Found out a friend had one that his dad and grandpa used to shoot coyotes and deer on their ranch in Montana and he didn't want it anymore. Rifle dates from 1918-1919. Very cool. Just wanted to crow a little about it!

Very nice! A old friend of mine has one in .308 Winchester. He will not sell it to me but he never shoots it. Drives me nuts. I would love to have one, especially in .308.

Nice gun Bystander. Have always had a soft spot for the Savages.

Had one in 308 that drove tacks.

Would love to see you guys back at a monthly match sometime.

Let me know and I will do a little more old school setup for you.

Sounds like fun & a cool find.

That was one early high performance cartridge.

Happy shooting (and reloading)

Not sure what I would have done with it,, but I still sometimes regret not buying a '99 takedown carbine when I had the chance.

(especially when i think of the other guns I bought without any particular mission in mind.)

Nice gun Bystander. Have always had a soft spot for the Savages.

Had one in 308 that drove tacks.

Would love to see you guys back at a monthly match sometime.

Let me know and I will do a little more old school setup for you.

Howdy Creeker,

We were thinking that we might take in next week's Eldorado monthly. If you put in a little old school stuff, that will clinch it for us! If you've already got the match set up, what the hell, we'll come anyway!

Edited by Innocent Bystander SASS #24171

250-3000 Thats my gun two :-)

Howdy Creeker,

We were thinking that we might take in next week's Eldorado monthly. If you put in a little old school stuff, that will clinch it for us! If you've already got the match set up, what the hell, we'll come anyway!

This month is already written and approved by the board. But give me a little notice next time and I'll throw a little in there.

I wish you guys would have shot the annual; dummies to stab, tables to flip over, doors to push open, gold bags to carry, pistols on tables, pistol in a staged holster. Had more than one shooter say it felt more like olden days.

Howdy:

I am absolutely green with jealousy - what a find - and 250 Savage is a real winner. Congrats on your good fortune. I wish I had it - oooooohhhh - I am definitely in envy mode.

:-)

STL Suomi

Grew up deer hunting with a model 99 250 Savage. Dad cut the stock down for my older brother when he was first hunting. Then I used it for a few years.

I wish dad didn't trade that one off.

Thanks for sharing your find👍🏼

Regards,

Ringer

I've got a 1899 in .303 Savage with a lyman windgauge tang sight it's much more accurate than I expected it to be really a fun rifle to shoot.

Prvi Patrizen( I know I spelled that wrong ) made a run of .303 Savage brass, Lee makes the die's and my cast .308GC bullets work great, I used 30/30 loading data, That run of modern brass brought a lot of great old rifles back to life. If you have a 303 it's well worth the effort to reload for it.

A lady friend I shoot with was given a 99 in 250/3000 that shoots to minute of coyote, I've told her if she ever wants to sell it I get to be first in line. Really neat rifles.

Willy B'

The Savage 1899 is my favorite type of rifle - I own six of them! two .243s, two .300s, on3.303 and one .219 improved Zipper.

I had a .250-3000 but traded it for a Browning Citori.

They are great rifles and are extremely easy to cary when hunting. I know that they became too expensive to manufacture, but I wonder if CNC machines could be programmed to turn them out economically enough to compete in today's marketplace.

Duffield

My grand father always called his 99 Savage in .250-3000 with Lyman 57 rear sight his "meat in the pot gun"..... I inherited it years ago and used it last weekend on a large body 3 point mule deer that lived in on a section of alphalfa field.....One shot with a 75 grain Accubond did the job.

What a nostalgic journey for me....My dad's old Shrade LB-7 folding hunting knife did the field dressing.....

Although both have been deceased for many years, they were both with me on last weekends hunt. How do you improve on THAT?

Bugler

Howdy All!

Well, I found out it's a take-down model. Don't know if it will take down as it's probably not been apart for more than 75 years, but I'll throw some breakfree on the barrel when I get some time and see if it will budge.

For those who want photos, I'll be out of town for the next few days, but I'll post a photo when I get back in town.

​I have my dads 99 in 300 savage.........story is my mom hatched chicks and sold them to get the money to buy it....made around 1950...

I also have my dad's 300 Savage '99 as well as one I bought years ago.

Wish I had the old 38-40. Took my first moose with it, also took moose and caribou with the '99.

Marshal Stone

I have one my uncle bought new in 1957, it is a .308 99F. Still has the original Redfield 4x scope with swing mount. Excellent shooter with a lot of deer, antelope, and elk kills to its pedigree.

I have 2 99's, not 1899's. Mine date from the 1940's and early 1950's. One is .308 Win the other is .300 Savage.

One of my brothers has a 99 in .284 Win, has one of the most beautiful stock & forearm I've ever seen.Ano

Another brother has a couple of 99's also from the 40's & 50's.

Great guns. Love everything except the price of .300 Savage ammo and brass.

Edited by Lost Trail

I recently had pleasure of some range time with Sassy's 99 300 Savage that was her dad's. Nice shooter and pleasure to shoot. Checking serial number reveals that it was probably made around '61 and it has a well used and weathered economy stock. I would not even begin to guess the number of deer her Dad took with this gun.

• 4 weeks later...

I just acquired a '99 in 300 Savage and have found it to be quite accurate and easy handling in field. Looking forward to taking a deer with it soon. It came with an old Williams one piece scope mount with detachable rings. I was even more thrilled that the bore is in excellent condition.

Viejo Lobo

My uncle has one I'm supposed to get soon in .38-55. It was my great granpfathers deer rifle.

Thats likely to be a B model with either half or full octagon barrel. We'll need pics!

I've the 250 of my fatherinlaws and a 300. Recently passed on a pretty nice 1899B in 25-35.....about as rare as the 38-55.

My grand father always called his 99 Savage in .250-3000 with Lyman 57 rear sight his "meat in the pot gun"..... I inherited it years ago and used it last weekend on a large body 3 point mule deer that lived in on a section of alphalfa field.....One shot with a 75 grain Accubond did the job.

What a nostalgic journey for me....My dad's old Shrade LB-7 folding hunting knife did the field dressing.....

Although both have been deceased for many years, they were both with me on last weekends hunt. How do you improve on THAT?

You don't.