SASS Wire Forum

What information do you put on the labels of your bullet boxes?

John Boy

You asked about "bullet boxes", but from the responses are more for cartridge boxes. Since I generally purchase my bullets from a commercial caster, and have several different ones for different cartridges, on the bullet boxes I generally put the manufacturer, the caliber, the actual bullet diameter, actual bullet weight, stock number if there is one, and the hardness (measured by me with a SAECO hardness tester). I don't bother with bullet composition, as I don't really know what it is, and don't really care as long as the hardness is within my spec range. I will also list the quantity of bullets (usually 100 to each small box), or less, if I have used fewer than an amount required for a 50 round box of cartridges, I'll cross out the 100 and write in the number left.

On cartridge boxes, which are plastic 50-rd pistol boxes, I will list the cartridge, bullet weight, muzzle velocity from a revolver with the barrel length listed, and the MV from a rifle with the barrel length listed. I also list the powder, charge, powder lot number, if available, primer brand and lot number (in case of Failure To Fire...FTF), and the date loaded. I do use cartridge specific colors for the boxes: Green (RCBS) for .44-40, red for .45 LC, blue for .44 Magnum.

• Like 1

Caliber and powder load if anything

I use blue Dillon boxes for my cas loads, smoke for both loads and green mom for Wb loads, everything goes into a Dillon border shift bag before going into a box after being gauged. My modern loads go in and out of the vs bags no need to gauge yet.

Edited by Blackey Cole

What information do you put on the labels of your bullet boxes?

Long ago... used to try and put all the names of the folks that I do not want them cartridges to fall into their hands... such as in-laws, neighbors or other such terrorists.

However... a few years ago... I runned completely outta room on a cartridge box....

(joshin'... John Boy... glad to see you still 'round)

Shotgun labels are:

"Practice" (plastic wads, smaller loads of reclaimed lead and BP);

"Match" (OP wad, 1/2" fiber filler wad, OS wad, larger loads of reclaimed lead and BP);

"Match 7.5" (same as Match but with fresh 7.5 shot);

"Match +" (plastic wad, largest loads of fresh 7.5 shot and BP).

The "Practice" is for Orlando's weekly practice sessions with Cypress Sam presiding.

The "Match" is used in club monthly matches. Nice wide pattern for close KDs

The "Match 7.5" is used in 2 day matches. Tighter patterns than "Match".

The "Match +" is used in all matches for difficult KD situations, tighter patterns with more lead at higher velocity.

Don't laugh at my methods, please. I get a nostril full of sulphur with every trigger pull and that has a lasting effect.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Boxes for every cartridge are marked with a Sharpie, ".44 SPL" (or whatever) in one corner, and a letter in the other, then a tag that just lists the load & bullet. The rest of the details that I consider pertinent to that box of ammo are in a reloading logbook.

Big +1 to the real 3M blue masking tape. Super fast labels that stay on until you remove them and come off with no mess. The generic blue tape like from Harbor Freight is ok for some things but falls right off plastic boxes. One roll of the 3M will last you years for box labels.

It's like a post-it note that won't fall off no matter what.

357s in the green boxes,

38s in the blue boxes,

50 38s and 50 32s in the neon green boxes,

45 ACP in the red or the white boxes,

Practice ammo in the 3 lb coffee can marked "Practice"

I like your idea.

General practice is separate boxes for rifle and pistol, only because I load the shinier brass for rifle in hopes it will make it easier for the brass pickers to find. Hasn't worked all that well so far, but it proves I'm thinking about them. Shoot splits in the pistols and mark them with a Sharpie stripe down the side for double precaution.

If I'm playing with different primers or loads, will put them in a different box, color code the head and put a slip of paper in there so I know what's what.

Works well except on windy days when the paper blows away and I forget what color is what.

• 5 weeks later...

I load 1000-2000 at a time and use 8 mil 5x8 inch poly bags with approx 125 rounds/bag. (~one six stage match). I label bullet weight and type, powder charge and type, primer type, and date. I haven't changed load parameters in a couple years, so the data seems superfluous, but my OCD won't let me label less. Dates I actually use to "rotate stock" as I usually have 5k rounds of .38 special loaded at any one time.

I use the bullet cardboard boxes for bulk, sharpie with bullet type and grain, powder type and grain. Sometimes mark it as pistol or rifle. I load the cardboard boxes up for matches and shake them out into the pouch by the tens.

I use the MTM bullet boxes. The only thing I've put on mine is the caliber. I only load for 38spl,(125gr bullet), 44-40 (200 grain) and once in a great while 45 acp (230 grain). I have note paper stapled to the edge of a shelf above my reloader with the grains of powder and if I use something other than Federal Primers I put that on the note. I only use Titegroup powder so I don't bother noting that. The powder charge is marked on the note with the color on the base of the cartridge denoting the grains of powder.

Same goes for shotgun loads. I use CCI magnum 209 primers or Winchester 209's if I can't get the CCI's. I use Green Dot powder and I mark the factory Winchester boxes with a Green "Dot" that covers the AA on the lid of the box. When I was using the Winchester AA featherlite powder I marked the lid with a green R.

KISS !!

Blue 50 round boxes--44-40 smokeless

Red " " " ---38-40 B/P, main match ammo

Anything else gets a blank business card with : bullet wt., powder type and weight in the can or box.

Isom

I just put my bullets in plastic coffee cans with a piece of masking tape on top with the powder charge.....always use the same bullets(105 for pistol and 125 for rifle), powder and primers.........K I S S ....Bandit

Same but I take all the split cases and they get labeled TACO main match

Jk she does a great job at inspecting all the ammo

Billy the Avenger

Now that made me laugh! And after that nice Christmas gift she gave you.

All are loaded with 3f APP - Don't need a label

Shotgun are all loaded with 2f APP - Don't need a label

Pistols are Cap Guns - Loose ammunition. Don't need a label (or box)

KISS

My name and the date loaded - when I used them to load from.

Now only the date loaded since I use Missouri Marshal's Loadin' Blocks.

Same for shotgun shells - date loaded on a piece of blue painters tape.

BP or Smokeless .

And caliber .

I cast all all my own bullets .

So I all ready know what size the bullet is.

For Cowboy bullets .

Others I put .

Charge.

Powder.

Bullet.

And its a really hot load.

Rifle only.

Or Pistol only .

Boxes? Aren't ya kinda limitin' yourself?

What else do I need to know?

DSCN0930.jpg

(Actually, the 45Colt and 45Auto is my WB ammo, I keep my load data on a phone app).

Gamer Warthog Mouse Fart loads

38 Special 125 grain (small) planet wrecker magnums.

Disclaimer

There where no misses loaded in this box

Warning using these reloads may result in faster stage times.

Danger do not use in Ruger revolvers. The Ruger is way to strong.

38s go in the blue box, 44-40 goes in the red box. All cases are always full of black.