SASS Wire Forum

Le Mat Revolvers in SASS?

Doc Ironbeard

OK....silly question time. :blink: Remembering Johnny Ringo from my childhood TV shows, does anyone shoot the .44 caliber Le Mat Revolvers in SASS? Have you ever seen it done? It just seems like a fun and funky pistol - with a lot of firepower when you think about it.

I could be wrong but I don't think they are legal for SASS. Too many cylinders.

LeMats have only one cylinder. Many chambers, but only one cylinder. -- GIT

I know that this is a pet peeve of yours but do you have to make the statement every time someone says it?

Clumsy, heavy, hard to find leather for, and a tough trigger pull.

Otherwise, have fun.

Good luck, GJ

This is the first time I've commented/posted about it, so you're barking at the wrong mailman. But, yes, it is a peeve, and I'm probably not alone in that respect. :) -- GIT

You're not alone.

The CHAMBER restrictions apply to centerfire & rimfire CARTRIDGE revolvers.

REF: SHB p.8

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

I know that this is a pet peeve of yours but do you have to make the statement every time someone says it?

Maybe if the comment is repeated often enough, folks might start using the correct terminology.

Great to have you back, PaleWolf. Hope things are going well.

Thanks!

(This notepad hasn't been fully charged yet, thus the lack of color)

Great to have you back, PaleWolf. Hope things are going well.

Thanks!

(This notepad hasn't been fully charged yet, thus the lack of color)

Oh Yeaaa!! :D Great to hear from you PW, sounds like yer close to firing on all CYLINDERS ;)Ops wrong color :o:lol: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

So they're only legal as percussion pistols? I wouldn't be able to use the one from westworld with its cartridge conversion? And the metallic 20 gauge as well? That would be fun.

Doesn't the LeMat have 9 chambers + 1 shotgun chamber? Just as the single 7 by Ruger would not be legal in SASS wouldn't the LeMat also be illegal? Not sure, just asking.

You have to think that a Le Mat would be wickedly wild to see out on the firing line. I've been looking at the cartridge conversion version Le Mat that was actually done on the TV Show Johnny Ringo's pistol. Which is possible. I don't think you could get all nine chambers to fit that number of rimmed cartridges, besides the limitation in the rules for a max of six chambers being allowed. :( As for the shotgun aspect I don't think it would be "technically" ATF legal.....AKA: short barrelled shotgun. Well, it might.....if you go through the trouble of getting permission, getting it properly registered and pay for the "tax" stamp. And then I doubt you would be allowed to use that aspect of the pistol in SASS competition....pity.

However, considering Jeb Stewart carried two of them during the Civil War, it must be a wickedly effective weapon.

Edited by Desert Doc

So they're only legal as percussion pistols?

YES

I wouldn't be able to use the one from westworld with its cartridge conversion?

NO

And the metallic 20 gauge as well? That would be fun.

Doesn't the LeMat have 9 chambers + 1 shotgun chamber? Just as the single 7 by Ruger would not be legal in SASS wouldn't the LeMat also be illegal? Not sure, just asking.

RT*M...see post #8...the LeMat is a PERCUSSION revolver in its original configuration.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Midway used a pair in a 2 day match once. Fun to watch but a lot of work.

This cannot go wrong.

It seems to be so clear so far.

I would applaud a cowboy willing to entertain other shooters and enjoy himself by shooting a brace of LeMats. It is a real piece of history and one of the 19th century weap8ns of mass destruction.

How about a Josey Wales category: four Lemats , each loaded with five .44s and the shotgun?!?

I was gunho to purchase one a few years ago, then I had a chance to actually hold one, found it was too awkward to hold, and fumbly when trying to cock it.

I was gunho to purchase one a few years ago, then I had a chance to actually hold one, found it was too awkward to hold, and fumbly when trying to cock it.

If you get the chance try to handle the baby version. They are tons better. I don't think anyone is replicating the smaller version unfortunately

Maybe if the comment is repeated often enough, folks might start using the correct terminology.

Count me among those who likes to see correct terminology.

The holes in the engine block in your car are called cylinders.

The holes in a cylinder on a revolver are called chambers.

Or charge holes.

Story I've heard is the best two days in a Cowboy's life is the day he buys a LeMat revolver and the the day he sells the LeMat revolver.

Check out these videos:

https://www.full30.com/video/5f4c15bef2c3e409e514f66054ada796

https://www.full30.com/video/7b72e6705aad44bd77bcc52990982c6f

https://www.full30.com/video/4147f8eb787de988ab8b9cfd60b84fff

Actually you could load all nine chambers and the shotgun barrel also. You couldn't cap more than five chambers at a time and as long as there was a solid ball fired from the 20 gauge barrel, there is no problem. Or is there oh faithful fetterers of fun? That's two stages on one load.

If I were the MD I would totally let that person cap all the nipples and just download their rifle and pick up the extra with the shotgun. Especially if they agreed to shoot GF! They aren't going to win anything with it, so why not have fun?

So I suppose the Belgian 21 Shot Pin Fire Pistol is out of the question???

1311320_4.jpgrotflmao.gif

Perhaps we need a "Steampunk" category to cover all the weird inventions developed during that crazy era. I mean after all they were, even as weird as some of them were......of that period.

Edited by Desert Doc

I kind of lke the idea of a steampunk/oddball/clodbuster kind of catchall catagory, at the local level. But then Im a Josie Wales kind of guy, at the local level. Ive seen one LeMat shot, mostly as a diversion, in a SASS match, at the local level, and it was interesting,......and slow, awkward and inaccurate BUT fun to watch.

Imis my$.02

A revolver has a cylinder with multiple chambers.

A 1911 type pistol is loaded via a detachable magazine

An M1 Garand rifle is loaded with a clip.

Mounted soldiers served in the Cavalry

Calvary is a hill outside of Jerusalem.

The Lemat is a weird but very cool looking pistol. It'd make a great gun to use at a "Steampunk" type match where you use weird things.

And so would this...

Broomhandle2_zps95b3c85b.jpg

PaleWolf and Driftwood, If we can't get the cowboys to refer to the Original Vaquero correctly, (It's NOT an Old Model Vaquero) how do you expect them to get magazine vs clip, cylinder vs chamber, cartridge vs bullet, etc correct???

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I once loaded up a batch of cartridges for my standard broomhandle with Triple 7. It cycled well enough that I used it in an early Wild Bunch match.

I've used a Luger at "original Pre-SASS rules" Wild Bunch on occasion, but never have a chance to use my Broomhandles. Did see a few though on occasion, including one in .45.

I did however use the above pictured one, with shoulder stock attached, as a "rifle" at a Zootshoot match once, along with a regular one for my pistol. It was a hoot.