SASS Wire Forum

looking to get into 44-40 reloading

Pit Bull Tex

Anyone got any spares they want to get out of their way?Just bought a 44-40 rifle.Guess I need to start reloading for it.

Anyone got any spares they want to get out of their way?Just bought a 44-40 rifle.Guess I need to start reloading for it.

What are you looking for....The normal brass and dies....

I just bought a rifle from Slick.I will need dies,and brass.I just started looking just now.Don't know anything about loading a 44-40 case.

I just bought a rifle from Slick.I will need dies,and brass.I just started looking just now.Don't know anything about loading a 44-40 case.

I know I have dies...More than likely about 4 extras...Do you prefer a set brand?? Some where between here and storage have some brass hanging loose too...See what I can do...

TL

I would not know one brand from the other.Don't know which brand would be best for 44-40.

So you're the one that bought that 92? Excellent. My will power was starting to fade. You really can't go wrong with starline brass. I prefer the rcbs cowboy dies for 44-40. If you're planning to shoot black powder, look into Springfield Slim's big lube bullets.

Loading 44/40 is not as bad as you here. You do have to take your time getting everything set up then your time will improve. I enjoy the 44/40 round. You will crunch a few cases at first but hand in there and it will get easier. Great round for black powder.

I use Slim's round balls for my 58s.I don't shoot much BP but I play with it at home some.Make lots of smoke and noise.

For me I found when I load 44/40 .

I use a Lee factory crimp die .

This stops me from crushing the cases .

Some can crimp on the same seating die.

But it takes more time to set up right and get the feel right.

If you just seat with the one die and use the Lee factory crimp die to do your crimp

It will work great

Mr. Mike I don't have any 357 dies.Thanks for the offer.

Ask Slick. ;)

If you shoot 'white'. Unique and WW231 are good choices for powder.

Slug your barrel to confirm bullet dia.

OLG

Howdy Pit Bull

You've gotten lots of good feedback from the other Pards. Couple of thots for ya that will pretty much mirror and reinforce the other advice you've gotten.

There's lots of 44-40 brass out there ... the caliber's been around since 1873. IMHO the Rem and Win brass are very thin and need to be loaded slow and easy to keep from crumpling them. My brass is predominately Rem and Win and, as long as I go slow and steady, rarely have issues with damaged cases. Have seen LOTS of commentary on this and other sites to the effect that Starline brass is heavier and less prone to damaging during the reloading process. Were I to be starting out from scratch to load 44-40 I'd be inclined to use Stariine brass.

I use Lee dies -- nothing magic about 'em; just like 'em; other brands will do fine ... and like the fact that their bullet-seating die has both a seating function and a roll-crimp function. The 44-40 has a short neck and doesn't always get a good "grip" on a bullet. I prefer a bullet with a crimping groove and to roll crimp the loaded round. That way the reloads are lots less likely to "accordion" on ya when you fill the tubular magazine.

Lots of good loading data out there. My preference is Unique, Bullseye, and Titegroup ... but there's lots of good powders out there and my experience has been that the 44-40 is very forgiving of whatever powder you want to use. A cautionary note: in modern-made 1892's and Marlins, the 44-40 can be loaded to some very powerful levels ... almost to 44 Mag levels if you're into hunting deer or feral pigs ... but be ever so careful not to use 'em in an older rifle or non-Ruger pistol. Oh yes, the 44-40 is a great "double duty round for those who like to shoot the same cartridge in both rifle and pistol ... just avoid hot loads in pistols.

My 44-40 is a period Winchester 73 of 1890's vintage. I still use it in CAS matches and use mild loads to treat the old dog with respect.

Well ... didn't mean to ramble so. Bet you'll find your 44-40 reloading and subsequent shooting to be fun and rewarding.

Happy Trails

Fort Reno Kid

I'll agree with Lumpy this time in using Unique as a propellant. I had a 92 Winchester in 44-40 (Built in 94), that I loaded for, for several years. Unique was always a great performer in that gun. I gave the gun to my Daughter a few years back, as it originally belonged to Her Great, Great Grandfather. She used the rifle in CAS shooting at Cowtown in Arizona.

Rooster Ron Wayne has stated the best way to load them in his post above. Load with standard dies, but do not crimp with that die set. Get a Lee Factory Crimp die and crimp separately. You will never crush a case doing it that way.

RBK

Unique or Goex you can load about anything

I've got a slightly used Redding Profile Crimp die you can have for $24 including shipping.

PBT! This may be a better finish die for you than the factory crimp die that I have for you.

i bought my lee dies my factory crimp and my brass from titan reloading there great to deal with then all u need is a 44-40 ammo checker from ebay for 25.oo and ur good to go........ kit

btw i also bought a extra sizer die removed the deprimer pin and my last step is to resize after factory crimp they check perfect every time.

Edited by kit lewis

I load lots of 44-40 with BP for my daughter and I. I use RCBS cowboy dies, Winchester brass, as it is the thinnest, and seat and crimp in one station. Not sure how a LEE FCD keeps from crushing cases as all the ones I damage are with the sizing die. If you are crushing them with the crimper than just back it off a bit.

I don't have a clue.I have never loaded or seen someone load 44-40.I am just trying to get the stuff together now.

Thats got to be the second prettiest rifle I have ever seen .

Only Seconed to Honest Abe's 1860

Don't see no rifle but thanks for the bump.

One more trip around.Got 100 cases but want a few more.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

Thanks for all the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

delete

Edited by Pit Bull Tex