SASS Wire Forum

1887 shot gun

Rooster Ron Wayne

Smart move you will not regret it. He did my 87, one of my 73 my latest ruger bisleys and my uberti s&w no 3s with all the gunsmithing he's doing and match directing eot I don't see how he has time to shoot anymore.

Im going to call him after the Holidays and get on his schedule.:-)

You all have a Blessed Holiday Season :-)

If it is an original make sure you have a screw driver with you and check your screws. I shot one for a few years, and almost lost a couple of the screws from the receiver.

I did lose a screw from an original about 12 years ago. It was between stages, and I spent the entire lunch break covering the ground with a borrowed 5 lb magnet (thanks Fiddletown). Finally found it in time to shoot the afternoon stages.

Original screws were custom fit, off the shelf ones need to be fitted. The new guns have standard screws (I know this because I'm a slow learner).

Edited by Rillito Red

Im going to try both .

But I think the shorter shell with the roll crimp,

Will make things go a little smoother.

That depends on your loads. I found out that 83 grains of black power and 1-1/8 oz of shot jarred the gun so much that a roll crimped shot card would pop out. Ever try to work your '87 with a receiver full of #8 shot?

Im going to try both .

But I think the shorter shell with the roll crimp,

Will make things go a little smoother.

That depends on your loads. I found out that 83 grains of black power and 1-1/8 oz of shot jarred the gun so much that a roll crimped shot card would pop out. Ever try to work your '87 with a receiver full of #8 shot?

Why so hot of a load ?

I shoot a 2.5 Lee dipper which is about 40 GR

And 7/8 oz shot .

Knocks them down every time

Original 1889 vintage, cut down barrel, bore too big to cut threads for a choke.

The favorite local shotgun targets were 2" and 3" steel pipes that you had to knock over.

60 grains wouldn't do it. Ended up with 83 grains black with a modified shot cup to keep it together. Worked great and everybody on the posse felt the boom!

She is on her way to Lassiter :-)

Cant wait to see his Magic touch !

Why so hot of a load ?

I shoot a 2.5 Lee dipper which is about 40 GR

And 7/8 oz shot .

Knocks them down every time

About 2.3 Grains more than I use in .45 Colt loads ............

And .9 CC less than I use in 16ga. with 1 oz. shot .....

Your load is even lighter than my 20ga. ladies load ....

This gives LIGHT LOADS NEW MEANING !!!

About time for a minium load for shotshell loads in the smokie classes ....

Jabez Cowboy

Edited by Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

Why so hot of a load ?I shoot a 2.5 Lee dipper which is about 40 GRAnd 7/8 oz shot .Knocks them down every timeAbout 2.3 Grains more than I use in .45 Colt loads ............And .9 CC less than I use in 16ga. with 1 oz. shot .....Your load is even lighter than my 20ga. ladies load ....This gives LIGHT LOADS NEW MEANING !!!About time for a minium load for shotshell loads in the smokie classes ....Jabez Cowboy

Why wast powder if it gets the job done .

At the close range we shoot,

I have loaded rounds with No Shot ,

Wad only , and knocked down the targets !

Enough Said !

Why wast powder if it gets the job done .

At the close range we shoot,

I have loaded rounds with No Shot ,

Wad only , and knocked down the targets !

Enough Said !

^

What he said...

Mine is justa door protector... but it suits right down to the ground. After shootin'... I don't feel so knocked 'round.

ts

Got me a good-looking '87 Coyote Cap Special from young Barleycorn and as soon as I can get my good pards, Garland Ratz and Woodfox ta git me learned up good ta shoot the durn thing, I'll start usin' it on a regular basis. Need ta find a way to carry 'bout 87 rounds so's I can get six in the gun ta shoot, then I'll have it made. Then I can work on that leverin' part!

Edited by Deadeye Dingus

What's the return ETA?

OLG

Lassiter said the 87's is his main bread and butter guns to work on.

So they go to too the top of his list.

He tells you when to mail it in ,

and when he gets it.

Your next on the list .

I mailed it in today .

He should have it tomorrow :-)

Confirmation on my 87 being delivered today !

Im so excited :-)

SORRY I mistakenly thought that in Shooting BLACKPOWDER it is expected that your guns should make smoke !!!!!

Or move on over to the smokeless categories ....

Jabez Cowboy

SORRY I mistakenly thought that in Shooting BLACKPOWDER it is expected that your guns should make smoke !!!!!Or move on over to the smokeless categories ....Jabez Cowboy

You must be a smokeless shooter you self !

My loads make plenty smoke and still knock down the targets :-)

And I assume you don't know nothing ....

I shoot doubles with hammers the newest about 90 years old the oldest made in 1884 all with black , cleared the saloon at WR when I started shooting ,,, .45 colt with a compressed charge of Goex 3F under a 270 gr. RNFP (2,3 grains less than your Shotshells)..

Or my Open-Tops in .44 spl. using drop-tubed in compressed loads under 240 gr, RNFP ...

My lightest loads used in this game in 12ga are 4.3 CCs of 3F Goex under 1 1/8 oz. of shot ...

Compared to my loads yours I might mistake yours as smokeless !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Edited by Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

And I assume you don't know nothing ....I shoot doubles with hammers the newest about 90 years old the oldest made in 1884 all with black , cleared the saloon at WR when I started shooting ,,, .45 colt with a compressed charge of Goex 3F under a 270 gr. RNFP (2,3 grains less than your Shotshells)..Or my Open-Tops in .44 spl. using drop-tubed in compressed loads under 240 gr, RNFP ...My lightest loads used in this game in 12ga are 4.3 CCs of 3F Goex under 1 1/8 oz. of shot ...Compared to my loads yours I might mistake yours as smokeless !!!Jabez Cowboy

You should not assume things .

I really dont know What your Problem is !

Are you a know it all ,do it all BP shooter ?

If you would like to start a post about how great of a BP shooter you are.

Start your own post !

Good by !

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

Cemetery,

You WOULD think so, but it isn't the case. Not sure why, but even the Chiappa manual shows the top shell set back from the bottom.

http://chiappafirearms.com/downloads/manuals

fast%20load.jpg

I'll give this a try, maybe staggering forward might have been my issue this year.

And now, the clock will seem like it has STOPPED........ :lol::lol:

BTDT, and I 'don't-wait-well'. :D

OLG

The wait will be short I hope.

But its Winter here so Im OK !

My 87 is a Coyote Cap with a Lassiter action job. The fastest I recorded on a timer was 6.19 from the table on 4 know knockdowns. I use it mostly with BP. My loads are useful. I'm not trying to impress anybody. You'll be glad you sent it to Lassiter.

Good shootin

My 87 is a Coyote Cap with a Lassiter action job. The fastest I recorded on a timer was 6.19 from the table on 4 know knockdowns. I use it mostly with BP. My loads are useful. I'm not trying to impress anybody. You'll be glad you sent it to Lassiter.

Good shootin

Thanks Blue Wolf.

Im really excited about using the 87 in 2017.

I played with it a little .

It really needed Lassiters tuch lol.