SASS Wire Forum

To join or not to join

My twenty-something son has had the rare opportunity of working in a US Senatorial campaign and two US Presidential campaigns; he now works for a DC PR/lobbying outfit. If I had to pigeonhole him,. I guess I'd say that he's a Conservative in the classic sense - deeply but quietly religious, with a firm sense of right and wrong; a commitment to making things better than he found them; and an unshakeable belief in the goodness and fairness of our original Constitutional system.

He has had several contacts over the past few days, with folks connected to people being considered for Cabinet post; feelers regarding his availability to work for them should the appointments materialize. He worked for one of the other R candidates in the last election, and was less than impressed with the positions and behavior of the now President elect.

So now he may face a choice. Should he accept a job in the Administration, when he is absolutely opposed to many of the public positions taken by the candidate? Or should he reject the idea and pass on perhaps his only opportunity to work for a Cabinet secretary whom he admires?

My own view is that every responsible person added to the Administration makes it more likely that it will produce improvement for the Country; if the thoughtful, conscientious folks stay out of the game, that will leave only the others, and success will be minimized.

If the opponent of your candidate won the election, would you work for that Administration if asked?

Please don't make this a post aimed at any particular candidate; it's more of a general philosophical question.

LL

The experience may serve him well later in his career.

Take the job.

If he likes it, he has a wonderful career ahead of him.

If he doesn't like it, he can make a million writing a book about his experiences.

Seriously, it is a wonderful opportunity to work for someone he admires. Jump at it.

I have worked in DC under an administration I did not vote for. It was a wonderful opportunity to steer policy in a direction that served the national good. The contacts I made served me years forward. I recommend taking the job.

Wow! What a wonderful opportunity that would be.

I think he should do it. Many good reasons have already been stated. He may have some influence. I know someone who worked for a judge in the CA Supreme court. She thought she had some information gathering influence.

Do they have to sign a contract for a period of time? If not, he might be free to go, if it doesn't work out. However, that would not be a good idea.

Let us know how it works out.

Regards,

Allie

One question I would ask your son, as it appears that he has more insider knowledge than the rest of us combined, is whether taking a job with this administration will have any effect on future administrations. I honestly believe Trump is a four year place holder at best, that is if he even stays the full four years and doesn't decide to leave early. So will working for him bar him from future work? Democrats are irrelevant, as they always hire the same cronies anyway no matter who gets the throne, but it might be different if another Republican takes office. That would be my only concern. If it is a non-issue, then he should jump on it.

If he is a man of good character, which is a safe assumption at this point, then his country would be better off for him to take the job. People of character can be positive influences wherever they are, and we have very few of them in DC.

You stated that he is "quietly religious".

I think his Bible probably teaches him to respect government authority within the realm of that authority not being immoral, illegal, unethical, etc..... (my words, not the Bible). But the teach concept is there.

ANYHOW, regardless of political affiliation, WE ALL need good, moral, honest folks serving us and trying to run OUR government.

Remember, its his government just as much as it is yours, mine, Allie Mo's, etc.....

Being able to SERVE in such a capacity should be held in high honor, especially working with someone whom he admires.

None of us will totally agree with our Pres, VP, Senator, Congressmen........ or even our Preacher sometimes.

But having the capacity to SERVE should always be held in high honor.

I wish him well.

..........Widder

IMHO, without any further information, and unless he contemplates becoming a lobbiest before the legal window for former government officials expires, I would suggest he take the job. If his philosophies run counter to those of his boss and/or the department for which he works, he may be able to persuade the others to his point of view. Sometimes contrary points of view can be helpful to someone who is looking for honest answers rather than a yes-man.

Archived