SASS Wire Forum

How Long Does It Take The Average Person To Become A Sailor?

Subdeacon Joe

My oldest son joined the Navy right out of high school and seemed to really enjoy it. He was an IFF technician on an Aegis missile cruiser. They wanted him to re-enlist but instead they sent him to college to get a degree and then when he got his degree he went into the Marine Corps OCS. He got chosen for Defense Languages School in Monterrey after his three tours in Iraq and learned Mandarin Chinese. The Corps sent him to a university in China to get his masters degree and is now back in the states as a Major. He bristles a bit when you call him a sailor.

If you were in the Kriegsmarine back in the '40's... the U-boat service... you would be a sailor inna 'bout... a day.

Just my knowlege and study of submarine warfare of WWII. I know it sounds silly... from a land-locked man from the U.S.A.... but I have actually visited the last, Type VIIC\41 submarine U-995 over in Germany.

Back in the '90's... was playin' pool one time on Rush Street in Chicago... and met a old German fella couldn't even talk American ... he was there for a reunion. We was at "Knee-Slappin' Sams". He was there for the U-505.. you need to read up on this boat.

This old German fella told me that my English was 'bout as bad as my German. But his understandin' of pool... also left a lot to be desired, too. But he was fascinatin'... to talk to. Later that night... on Lake Shore Drive... I played a major fella named Cornbread Red... and I got stomped. He ran the tables on me. Lost my $100 entrance fee in 'bout... oh... 30 minutes.

But I have never lost interest in submarines since that night... and the fact that 'bout... 40,000 German sailors went into the sea in subs... and over 80% were lost. That's kinda hard to understand. With them odds... why would you even go?

Patriotism... I've studied it... "Love of Country"... is the reason. Deep down... all the folks who have served their countries... they knew. The same reason why Midway, Guadal Canal, Iwa Jima, Tarawa... took place.

Hero's will always step-up... will fight.

All I know is that Politicians are worse than a Drunken Sailor. A Drunken Sailor will stop spending when he runs out of money. :huh:

My father was a quartermaster aboard the battleship USS Idaho BB-42 during WWII. Dad called himself a sailor.

Sure...make fun all you want.

Bottles, get these boys a sasspirilla...oh, I am sorry. Get these men a fittin' drink. Perhaps a Manhatten or a Cosmopolitan...something worthy of looking down ones nose and feeling all full of one's self...

I know, let's have a spellin' bee..,

Pat (what's funnin' ya) Riot

My oldest son joined the Navy right out of high school and seemed to really enjoy it. He was an IFF technician on an Aegis missile cruiser. They wanted him to re-enlist but instead they sent him to college to get a degree and then when he got his degree he went into the Marine Corps OCS. He got chosen for Defense Languages School in Monterrey after his three tours in Iraq and learned Mandarin Chinese. The Corps sent him to a university in China to get his masters degree and is now back in the states as a Major. He bristles a bit when you call him a sailor.

Why would you call a USMC Major a "Sailor"?

My FAMILY portrait:

Dad: US Navy in WWII

Older Brother: US Marine (father)

NEPHEW: US Marine (son)

Great NEPHEW: US Marine (grandson)

Brother in Law: US Marine

Widder: US NAVY

When its time to play POKER, Dad and I always made sure there were some Marines invited to the game..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(you know, for 'Prosperity' purposes only).

:D

..........Widder

He's got a couple of friends who were in the navy with him that gig him about being a sailor before he was a marine. It's a joke between them.

He's got a couple of friends who were in the navy with him that gig him about being a sailor before he was a marine. It's a joke between them.

Not to mention that the USMC started off as part of the Navy, and the Commandant of the Marines is responsible to the Secretary of the Navy.

You know, If you called the US Army Chief of Staff, a Soldier, he would be offended, as would his USAF counterpart by being called an Airman, the CNO (now days probably never been on a ship) would quickly correct you if you called him a Sailor, but the Commandant of the Marine, now a 4 star, is proud to be called a Marine. That's just the way it is.

Bad Hand, no that's not the way it is. I can't speak for all branches, but Army general's call themselves soldiers. Remember MacArthur's farewell speech, "Old soldiers never die...."?

I would beg to disagree about the Army CoS. They have always proudly worn the title of soldier. Soldier is not a rank but Airman is. Soldier is a profession.

I certainly wish the media would stop referring to Marines as soldiers. They just don't get it. But they don't get much. I recall at the outset of the Gulf War, the news reported 4 military officers had been killed when their vehicle was hit. Turns out they were 4 enlisted men. But the talking heads of media, not having any experience with the military assumed everybody wearing a uniform and carrying a gun were called Officers. Like cops. :rolleyes:

Bad Hand, no that's not the way it is. I can't speak for all branches, but Army general's call themselves soldiers. Remember MacArthur's farewell speech, "Old soldiers never die...."?

Speaking of MacArthur, I go to church with a feller that was MacArthur's driver and on his personal security team (squad, or whatever they called it).

Yes, he is an older gentleman but he still has a good sense of memory and a few funny stories to share.

..........Widder

Howdy Widder,

You are just askin fer me to drop in aintcha pard.

Whose driver???

Are you kiddin us?

Best

CR

on second thought, get a video camera and record this guy and

every story you can get him to tell....

If possible get him drinkin a little.

Solid GOLD pard, SOLID GOLD.....

Chili,

YEP, General MacArthur's driver and security team.

Apparently, the General had his own assigned security force.

I'll try to gather more info to share.

..........Widder

Sub Service SSBN 658. All others are targets!

My little brother was a sub sailor SSBN 642 U.S.S. Kamehameha. He sent me a T shirt with something like a periscope view of a surface ship (Small one like a destroyer) on the front with "Hi skimmer". On the back was said skimmer broken up and sinking saying "Bye skimmer". I was on the biggest target we had U.S.S. Nimitz. I wore that shirt until it was in tatters.

According to some in the Navy you aren't a "sailor" unless you're a Shellback. According to Pollywogs in the Navy you aren't a "sailor" until you have been "to the fleet".

There are always p***ing matches about who is better than whom between the services and within the services.

According to the US Navy 8 weeks... :D

Nah. That just makes you a Seaman.

Or is it Seaperson these days??

According to some in the Navy you aren't a "sailor" unless you're a Shellback. According to Pollywogs in the Navy you aren't a "sailor" until you have been "to the fleet".

There are always p***ing matches about who is better than whom between the services and within the services.

What's a pollywog?

Daddy wasn't a shellback. Never went that far south.

He was a Polar Bear. North of the Arctic Circle. Also a Plank Owner on the Norton Sound.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Norton_Sound_(AVM-1)

I think his 20, going from Seaman Recruit to Senior Chief, would qualify him as a sailor (did they call 'em "seaman recruit" in 1940? They keep changing the names).

Back to the original question, I don't know, but a few bottles of rum, can have you walking like one on shore leave. Spice up your talk a bit and through "yardarm" into the conversation a few times, I bet you could convince someone you are a sailor

Archived