SASS Wire Forum

Navy vs. Gunfighter grip. Difference?

Hopalong Mac McLin

Can any one explain the difference in a Gunfighter grip and a Navy grip? I presently shoot Uberti El Patrons, which, I assume, have Gunfighter grips. I have been researching the Runnin Iron Short Stroke. It appears to be the same gun as the El Patron except the short stroke, but comes in the standard Gunfighter and Navy.

Terms can be somewhat ambiguous. A "Navy" grip should always be the grip found on the 1851 Navy and will have a brass gripframe. The standard SAA grip is similar, but slightly different shape. The "Gunfighter" grip that you are talking about (on Taylors guns) is a checkered 1860 grip and gripframe (a little longer than the Navy, for bigger hands), as mentioned by Redwood Kid. But the term Gunfighter is used by others, such as Eagle grips, who use the term for their thinner Vaquero grips.

Can any one explain the difference in a Gunfighter grip and a Navy grip? I presently shoot Uberti El Patrons, which, I assume, have Gunfighter grips. I have been researching the Runnin Iron Short Stroke. It appears to be the same gun as the El Patron except the short stroke, but comes in the standard Gunfighter and Navy.

Mac, let me know ahead of time and I'll bring a pair of short-stroked .357 Bisleys for you to try out.

Randy

Thanks, Randy.....I should be shooting the 1st Sat. in December. Doesn't the Bisley have a Birdshead grip and super low hammers?

My problem is that I have small hands and even with the montaodo hammers I struggle a bit with my left hand.

Imis

Since I shoot duelist and sometimes gunfighter, two hands is not an option. Just trying to see if there is anything out there for a pard with short thumbs. I love my El Patrons with the Montado hammers, but still struggles with that left thumb. Just looking at possible options for stubby thumbs.

The 3 1/2" is actually what I was looking at and would love to handle one with the birdshead grips to see of it works better with stubby thumbs. The problem is they only make this in 45LC and I want it in .357. Uberti made a .357 for Kendra, which was the KL prototype, and there is a YouTube video on it.....but it appears that it was a special order and not made for public in .357 at this time. If you are aware of a source for the .357, please let me know.

The 3 1/2" is actually what I was looking at and would love to handle one with the birdshead grips to see of it works better with stubby thumbs. The problem is they only make this in 45LC and I want it in .357. Uberti made a .357 for Kendra, which was the KL prototype, and there is a YouTube video on it.....but it appears that it was a special order and not made for public in .357 at this time. If you are aware of a source for the .357, please let me know.

Here you go, just order running iron hammers from Taylor's they should work or you can have the hammers turned down

http://www.uberti.com/birds-head-revolver

Archived