SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army

Bad Company, SASS #20195

As I understand the rules for SASS, we cannot shoot ROA's with adjustable sights in the Frontiersman Catagory. Can we remove the sights? What's the reasoning for this? Most of the age based categories allow adjustable sights. Just wondering, it seems like they would want more people signing up for that category.

As I understand the rules for SASS, we cannot shoot ROA's with adjustable sights in the Frontiersman Catagory. Can we remove the sights? No you can't just remove the sights. You have to weld up the frame and recontour it. What's the reasoning for this? Because the vast majority of us that shoot C&B don't want adjustable sights on C&B guns. Simple as that. Most of the age based categories allow adjustable sights. Just wondering, it seems like they would want more people signing up for that category.

As I understand the rules for SASS, we cannot shoot ROA's with adjustable sights in the Frontiersman Catagory. Can we remove the sights? No you can't just remove the sights. You have to weld up the frame and recontour it. What's the reasoning for this? Because the vast majority of us that shoot C&B don't want adjustable sights on C&B guns. Simple as that. Most of the age based categories allow adjustable sights. Just wondering, it seems like they would want more people signing up for that category.

Sure are a lot of ROA's out there with adjustable sights. What category do they shoot in?

As I understand the rules for SASS, we cannot shoot ROA's with adjustable sights in the Frontiersman Catagory. Can we remove the sights? What's the reasoning for this? Most of the age based categories allow adjustable sights. Just wondering, it seems like they would want more people signing up for that category.

Frontiersman is not an age based category. Once you allow the adjustable sights, then you'd have to break it into two categories, Modern and Traditional Frontiersman. Using the iron sights, especially on the Colt-type firearms, (rear sight is the notch on the hammer), is part of the challenge of the Frontiersman category. So is dealing with the smoke that hangs in humid weather, spotters who can't spot well for BP shooters, errant percussion caps, and hauling the extra equipment. Please leave Frontiersman alone, and play it like it's written.

Adjustable sighted cap and ball revolvers caliber .36 and larger can be used in any age based category. Fixed sighted cap and ball revolvers caliber .36 or larger are legal in any category.

Senior Duelist and Senior Gunfighter have been declared to be NON-age based categories. The shooting style is the determining factor in those two, not the age bracket. I was not present at the debate, so I cannot outline the logic behind the decision. If there is any.

There are a number of rules that define what is allowed in each category. Classic Cowboy requires Mule eared shotguns, big bore calibers, etc, etc. B Western has some specific requirements. No doubt that allowing other firearms, holsters, or dress code, etc would work, but it would have the effect of making these categories less unique thereby tending to make all categories virtually the same. Some folks would actually like to see only one category and some would like to see more categories. It used to be that only the Modern category allowed adjustable sights but when that category was removed it required an adjustment of the rules in order to allow the many folks with Ruger Blackhawks and such to have a place to shoot. As for the ROA with adjustable sights, there really isn't that many of them out there... in fact, there was a very strong movement to completely disallow the use of the Ruger Old Army in the Frontiersman's category because it is not a copy of anything, but rather, a modern C&B revolver. The Uberti 1873 C&B revolver was disallowed because it was not a copy of anything. It is what it is, and I doubt that it is going to change. We all have choices to make when we play this game. I can guarantee you that there are some changes that I would like to see, but so far they haven't happened across the board. In the mean time I must either suck it up and shoot against them kids, change categories, or not attend. All I can say is that you kid's better watch you @$$, this old man hasn't rolled over yet. :P

Snakebite

I believe that you can remove the adjustable rear and even replace it with a fixed piece. I believe it's covered in the conglomeration of the three rule books one should read even if one has no intention in being a Range Officer. Or maybe that was just for Beretta Laramies.

Asking for the reasoning behind a rule is never a good idea. Just treat it like someone fought and died to get it this way and about ten more people are waiting to do the same to keep it that way.

I believe that you can remove the adjustable rear and even replace it with a fixed piece. I believe it's covered in the conglomeration of the three rule books one should read even if one has no intention in being a Range Officer. Or maybe that was just for Beretta Laramies.

Asking for the reasoning behind a rule is never a good idea. Just treat it like someone fought and died to get it this way and about ten more people are waiting to do the same to keep it that way.

Several years ago, I milled out a piece similar to this, milled the top strap slightly, and soldered it on. I got severely chastised because it wasn't "welded". Depending on where you get your definition of welding, soldering and brazing may or may not fit the description. I sold it a few years ago, so its legality for this game then became a moot point for me.

ROAsight_zps8ktdjoul.jpg

Read the rules instead of guessing.

The folks that make Classic Ballistix cylinders were once toying with the idea of making a replacement for the rear sight on adjustable ROAs, that would make the gun look more like the fixed sight model... never went anywhere. Another option would be to get the adjustable sight model "Crugerized". Several gunsmiths will do that. You'd have to look up their sites for prices. I've seen an example where you can't tell it didn't come from the factory as a fixed sight model. (Dang! Some of our Cowboy Gunsmiths can do fancy work! A tip o' the ol' cowboy hat to y'all.)

Several years ago, I milled out a piece similar to this, milled the top strap slightly, and soldered it on. I got severely chastised because it wasn't "welded". Depending on where you get your definition of welding, soldering and brazing may or may not fit the description. I sold it a few years ago, so its legality for this game then became a moot point for me.

ROAsight_zps8ktdjoul.jpg

With the availability of the fixed sight models getting less each day maybe someone should trot this past the TG's again. I would argue the as long as the piece was fixed in place, could not be moved once attached, that it satisfied the spirit of the rule. Of course front sight would need to be altered as well. But as long as you couldn't adjust the sight except by filing and it passed a 10 foot rule I say play on. But admittedly it would take a change of the rules.

SHB pg 7 You can modify a ROA fixed sight revolver.

FRAMES AND RECEIVERS Frames and receivers may be drilled and tapped (e.g., to accept approved type sights). Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, recontouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

With the availability of the fixed sight models getting less each day maybe someone should trot this past the TG's again. I would argue the as long as the piece was fixed in place, could not be moved once attached, that it satisfied the spirit of the rule. Of course front sight would need to be altered as well. But as long as you couldn't adjust the sight except by filing and it passed a 10 foot rule I say play on. But admittedly it would take a change of the rules.

Would that mean that the fixed sight models are becomin' more pricey?

Since I love shootin' my '51 Navy's... I got a pair of NIB fixed sight, SS 5.5" ROA's that have never been shot. They just feel too big in my hands, considerin' the ease of handlin' and shootin' the Navy's.

Would that mean that the fixed sight models are becomin' more pricey?

Since I love shootin' my '51 Navy's... I got a pair of NIB fixed sight, SS 5.5" ROA's that have never been shot. They just feel too big in my hands, considerin' the ease of handlin' and shootin' the Navy's.

Um, ehh, not really. There still worth what you paid 15 years ago...... :ph34r: I'll be happy to relieve you of them big old unbalanced clubs. :D

Huh... Goody... why is it that somehow I think what you said was funny? hehehe

May have to check out the current prices. These in the pick are currently servin' as safe-anchors... here they are with some temp black buffalo horn Eagle grips on 'em...

IMG_0342_zps0wbwx5zw.jpg

Adjustable sighted cap and ball revolvers caliber .36 and larger can be used in any age based category. Fixed sighted cap and ball revolvers caliber .36 or larger are legal in any category.

Senior Duelist and Senior Gunfighter have been declared to be NON-age based categories. The shooting style is the determining factor in those two, not the age bracket. I was not present at the debate, so I cannot outline the logic behind the decision. If there is any.

Are you sure that SR.Gunfighter and SR. Duelist are NON- age based categories? Then why are they called Senior???

Are you sure that SR.Gunfighter and SR. Duelist are NON- age based categories? Then why are they called Senior???

Yep - he's right.

Actually they are an age division of a shooting-style based category. Talking about Sr. Gunfighter and Sr. Duelist.

The Sr. Duelist thing was discussed and passed on by the powers a couple of years back , it seems. Don't remember exactly , but not too far back in time.

Rex :D

Archived