SASS Wire Forum

reloading fun!

Hoss

Was reloading 38SP last night. My usual practice is to grab a handful of cases, and shake them, listening for a "tinny" sound that indicates a split case. I heard one, so looked at the nickel cases first, found one. discarded it, then went to drop the handful in my Lee case collator. As I was dropping them, heard another split case, looked, and sure enough, another split nickel case! What are the chances of getting 2 split cases in one handful out of a box of 2000 or so!

Moral of the story, check your cases!

I have about 4000 38SW cases, about 10% are nickel. slowly weeding them out, as they are by far more likely to split. I only use them in my revolvers for that reason.

BTW, the shake method also helps me cull out the occasional 357 or 32 case that might get mixed in with my 38SP brass. they just sound different.

I'm impressed with your hearing. Wish my sense of hearing were that sensitive.

I segregate nickel and brass cases, and load the few hundred nickel ones with 158 grain slugs for knockdowns (yep, still see them here). The brass cases get the 125 grain bullets. Makes it easy to identify the heavy ones at the loading table.

I have to admit I've probably been reloading for less years than a lot of you have, about 9 years or so. I can look in my spent primer and split case jars (when they get full I recycle them) and about 80% is brass, not nickel. I check all of them as I reload and a few may sneak by, but I usually catch all of them when reloading or at the loading table. I'd hazard a guess that my brass is pretty close to the same amount of nickel and brass.

My nickle cases are culling themselves by splitting. They are used in wheel guns only (cause that's how I was taught)

Like Charlie above, have a bad brass box for these--and recycle when full.

Another thing about nickle cases are the nickle coating makes the primer pockets a tiny bit smaller. I find a shot of case lube on all the primer pockets before starting does a great job of solving this.

cr

nickle plating makes the primer pockets a tiny bit smaller. I find a shot of case lube on all the primer pockets before starting does a great job of solving this.

It may solve seating the primer, but it might also cause dead primers. I follow most loading manual instructions, and keep oils and lubes AWAY from primers.

Better to use a pocket reamer and re-dimension the primer pocket to the correct diameter if it is a tight fit.

But then, I've NEVER had to fiddle with nickle plated brass to get a primer to seat well.

Good luck, GJ

Same here Hoss. I have seen a ton of split nickle cases from our club matches recently. Never fails, I shoot 20 new Starline brass cases in a stage, I get back 8 split nickle case at the unloading table. HA!

Totes

Why do you think I always pick up brass when you or Ginger are shooting? I know you use Starline brass.......

After two reloads, I just toss the nickel cases. About half split on the third attempt to reload, and it just interrupts my rhythm at the press. Just received 4000 more once fired cases, about 5% nickel. I'll load them once probably, then toss them.

I really like the idea of some heavy bullets in the nickel cases for knockdowns, though my regular 125g bullet loads have taken down most knockdowns I've encountered.

Plus One to Pettifogger :) How could I ever deny a fellow Gunfighter the opportunity to show max Bling?? :P I always announce "FREEBEES" and make gifts of Nickel'd cases. Just kindness, you see :wub:

Coffinmaker

I never knew they rattled, tinged, or 'tinny'd.

But then again, I can even hear water running when I'm in the shower..... :o

..........Widder

You run water in your shower??!!!

:D:D:D

I never knew they rattled, tinged, or 'tinny'd.

But then again, I can even hear water running when I'm in the shower..... :o

..........Widder

Grab a handful and shake them. Then put in a known split case. Makes a different sound.

You are right about nickel plated cases tending to split after several reloadings.

:P However, no one has mentioned that the up side is that nickel plated cases do not end up covered in green ambergris while carried in belt loops for some period of time. I have carried the nickel cases in my gun belt for over a year with no corrosion or ambergris. Brass cases will turn green in as little as a week!

[Please do not ask why I carry them in the belt loops for so long. It is simply for style points.]

Warhorse

You are right about nickel plated cases tending to split after several reloadings.

:P However, no one has mentioned that the up side is that nickel plated cases do not end up covered in green ambergris while carried in belt loops for some period of time. I have carried the nickel cases in my gun belt for over a year with no corrosion or ambergris. Brass cases will turn green in as little as a week!

[Please do not ask why I carry them in the belt loops for so long. It is simply for style points.]

Warhorse

Warhorse:

I think the term you were looking for is "verdigris" - the greenish corrosion that appears on brass or copper when exposed to air or certain oils. "Ambergris" is a waxy substance that comes from the intestines of sperm whales, and was treasured by perfume makers.

Nope; not the "Word Police".......just offering clarity.

LL

I do not buy nickle cases to reload but I do get them with store bought ammo on occasion. When I reload I save the nickle ones for non-SASS loads and I usually only reload them a couple of times.

the only two that have failed to eject from my Marlin were brass, on split normally and the other around the knurl,,, can't complain about the first one tho,,, that put me as the number 18 shooter at GOA, and shooter 18 won a dillon 650, ME!!

I have four reloading blocks. I place 50 pieces of brass in each and then inspect them under a bright light for splits/cracks before running through the press.

I don't have a case feeder so it's not like it takes me any longer.

Then I spray each set with a shot of Hornady One-Shot, wait a few minutes, then reload.

I don't intentionally load any nickel cases, but if one manages to get in the loading block I do load it and use it in a revolver.

"nickle plating makes the primer pockets a tiny bit smaller. I find a shot of case lube on all the primer pockets before starting does a great job of solving this."

I"ve never noticed primers seating harder,but nickel does size harder, so a thin smear of case lube on my fingers,and problem solved.

This method works with .45 Colt also.

I can also hear a rogue .38-40 case in a handful of .45 Colts. The thin case walls have a higher pitch.

My wife thinks that I am nuts when I am shaking handfuls of brass after coming in from the range.

Fastenating!

I buy nickel plated Starline 38 spec. by the thousand and load them at least 10 times before getting split cases. The ammo is run through multiple rifles and revolvers without problems. I just look the cases over before loading and again while boxing finished rounds. I do not load cases, brass or nickel that have mid lingth radial crimps. I loose more cases in the grass than to splits.

You run water in your shower??!!!

:D:D:D

We actually have running water here in TN. Come visit and give it a try sometime. You might like it..... :D

Nope but he walks on the wet Shower Base ..... Splish Splash!!! Ya might think he's taking a Bath....

Jabez Cowboy

Walter & Leroy occupy the bathtub. I 'shower'..... ;)

Grab a handful and shake them. Then put in a known split case. Makes a different sound.

Actually Hoss, I understand what you're saying. Problem is, I am legally deaf.....military related issue.

I use some VERY LOUD phones to talk on the phones, plus wear hearing aids in both ears. The volume is set so loud that when I wear my Cowboy hat, I get feedback on them.

I've started wearing one of the hearing aids, set at a lower hearing level, during my SASS matches in order to hear the timer 'BEEP'.

And in reality, without my hearing aids, I can't hear the water running when I'm in the shower.

I hear no birds singing, Crows 'cawing' or crickets chirping without my aids.

And, I can't hear emergency vehicle sirens unless I have my aids in my ears. And then its still hard for me to discern their sounds until they are right by me.

I have become an excellent lip reader during the past 30+ years.

Thank goodness for the internet communication.

..........Widder

this past week i've come across 2 split cases - my first that I split..the 'once fired' cases are no longer that. I've not been checking - only seen 1 in 3 years..but now I guess it's time to be much more rigourous on this.

The rattle works. My wife is very good at finding split cases. I only load nickel (38) cases for pistol practice and they are the only cases I load with smokeless. The nickel serves double duty: IDs smokeless and culls the case accumulation.

Gosh I sure am learning a lot... I guess I need to get rid of about 1,000 38spl nickel cases that are from back when they used large primers, 1950s?... Some have been reloaded so many times the nickel is wearing off... :ph34r::ph34r:Maybe they just made better brass back then... or knew some secret nickeling process that didn't make 'em brittle! :ph34r:

We actually have running water here in TN. Come visit and give it a try sometime. You might like it..... :D

Actually Hoss, I understand what you're saying. Problem is, I am legally deaf.....military related issue.

I use some VERY LOUD phones to talk on the phones, plus wear hearing aids in both ears. The volume is set so loud that when I wear my Cowboy hat, I get feedback on them.

I've started wearing one of the hearing aids, set at a lower hearing level, during my SASS matches in order to hear the timer 'BEEP'.

And in reality, without my hearing aids, I can't hear the water running when I'm in the shower.

And, I can't hear emergency vehicle sirens unless I have my aids in my ears. And then its still hard for me to discern their sounds until they are right by me.

..........Widder

Widder, sorry for your hearing loss. And THANK YOU for your service!

Driftwood Johnson explained that if the nickle platting process is done properly, the cases will last very well. I see cases where the nickle has worn off and the case still holds.

But if the process is not perfect, it will make the case more brittle and subject to work hardening. Thus more likely to split.

That is why many of us will not use nickle in our rifles. Don't matter much if it splits in my revolver.

..........Widder

Widder, when I got my latest version of hearing aids from the VA I was astounded to discover that hummingbirds chirp.

Widder, when I got my latest version of hearing aids from the VA I was astounded to discover that hummingbirds chirp.

My wife said they do but I never believed it!

Archived