SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 Questions, Update: Got my rifle...

Pat Riot

Griff, I would love to get a nice 1885 but if I do it will probably be a 45-70...a .45 would be a bit slow loading on the clock for CAS :rolleyes:

It works like popcorn thru a goose for "Plainsman"... Which is why I got it.

Nate-Good points and thank you for the time to post that!

One thing about the Marlin 94, is the size of the locking block's contact area.

The block is the width of the receiver. The block itself has far more mass the the 2 blocks used by JMB.

The deal is-They both will take any psi thrown at them.

Respectfully,

OLG

No, and mass has little to do with the strength. It's the design.

When it come to pressure the 92 is superior. It will handle 25% more pressure than the marlin 336/1895 and probably 30% more than the 1894.

Bottom line is you will never see a Marlin chambered in 454 casull. At least not for long.

I have a 20" octagon bbl'd Rossi 1892 and a 17" octagon bbl'd Marlin 1894, both are in a "rifle" configuration, (no barrel bands). Neither is as strong an action as my 1885. All are in 45 Colt, all are more accurate than I am. What NKJ said about the relative strengths between the Marlin & Winchester designs.

True that.

The 1885 was JMB's first design sold to Win. Browning had been making that gun since 1875.

(I got to handle an original JMB 1875. :wub: )

In it's modern configuration, as in the Browning 1885, it can be had in 300 Win mag!!!!

No-Neither is that susceptible to spreading.

The main reason JMB went with the 2 piece bolt lock was Marlin's patent.

Same means to an 'end'.

OLG

Where do you get this info? Browning had already developed the twin locking bolts in the 86's. The 1883 Marlin didn't even have a locking bolt. The tip of the finger lever is all that held the breech bolt in place. That's why it died off coming into the Smokeless era.

Steve-The info I posted was from a tour and extensive display of Browning's and Marlin's tool room prototypes for these very rifles, at the Buffalo Bill Museum In Cody Wy. It was an impressive piece of history to see.

Marlin didn't use his locking block till later. He had the patent in the mid-late 1880's for it, IIRC.

One of JMB's prototypes showed a locking bolt kinda similar to Marlins.

Respectfully,

OLG

I have stated many times, if I am ever restricted to one Rifle it will be my Rossi 92/44 mag.

I have a folding leaf barrel sight for 100 yards and lower. A tang sight for 200 yards and beyond. The piece is very accurate at 200 yards with a 240 gr. lead or Nosler RNJSP.

A LOT of us started with a '92 because they're inexpensive, and a lot of us still shoot one. Sure a Marlin, '66, or '73 is a faster action, but the vast majority of us will never, ever be able to outrun a '92. I started out with a stainless 24" Rossi .45 Colt, and have owned nine others, seven of which I still have - all were/are Rossi's, except for one Browning B92 .357. The Browning wouldn't feed .38's unless the bullet was seated way out to approximate the length of a .357, so I sold it and bought two Rossi .357's instead. They've never hiccuped with either .357's or .38's. The rest are four .44-40 round barrel carbines and a .44 mag round barrel carbine. I found the .44 mag brand new in the box at Chestnut Ridge Supply in Pennsylvania two years ago for $397, shipped - couldn't pass that up. :) Like Lefty Dude, it's usually not far away when I'm out spraying weeds, fencing, cutting firewood, calving, or whatever.

As previously mentioned, if you go with a Rossi '92, at the very least you should probably replace the ejector spring. ;)

Actually, a '66 or '73 is NOT a faster action than a '92... unless they've been short stroked. Pre-1995 or so (pre short-stroked '73s), the 1892 was THE competitive gun for winners. The Marlin was fraught with issues in 38Spl and while it was (and still is) a shorter stroke than the '92, it's gremlins kept it from the winner's circle for many shooters.

Pat Riot, another two thoughts....

Loading the .45 Colt to hot-level may not be as a great idea. The case has a very small lip, and high pressures will likely swell the brass in the chamber to excessive stickiness. I could imagine that the extractor will get quite a workout.

Thought #2 goes to your original post. The .45 Colt, with standard loads, in any levergun should be good out to 100 yards. That is twice the long distance of most buckshot, handgun and archery shots on game. The round can be loaded to higher pressure to get another 50 yrds or so of effective range, but limiting the gun to practical use seems the logical answer. A bolt gun in a common gamestopper or a .45-70 in any long would be more useful at the longer range. Trying to control heavy loads in a close encounter that requires multiple shots would be problematic

This is my Interarms Puma .44 Saddle Ring Carbine that was made by Amadeo Rossi.

https://9acqiq.dm2304.livefilestore.com/y3mFuTKFo9rhj1QdEY6nCA7dpWa7mZhrdVIsW4oLnfUsO5RlGoEwJsIC15oALIXzOMQKmnEQ283fUAMI3c06aiQH5hKRinw6OR88WlWxeeAxAsrtbVyZIG6jrcaliEQ9md4wCra9a9uwqejWbGaPbVcmzaQryUihDfIYUcKgbFmLIY?width=1024&height=225&cropmode=none

https://9qcqiq.dm2304.livefilestore.com/y3mB1IJnQA2afuLsVKIRy5rVMgrhveoiCeVsxcOaacVFL5yH0GAG8XD6MrnItHzsPY5bU5eq-QcQTq6JBBq6WHqgHHt9dxFRxJ18CARBiKUyAz4qjL9odo2S1A5lPuDExBMN-P6R-dnxRShEVbW8wYT9CX8U27a9my2hBtxVw_soIY?width=1024&height=219&cropmode=none

I liked the wood on it and I got a screaming deal on it.

Except for being dusty there was nothing wrong with it except for a few dings on the butt stock. The blue was not even worn off of the internal mating surfaces. I'm pretty sure that it had never been apart before I took it down to install a Palo Verde spring kit and smooth it up like in NKJ's video. It you don't have a copy of that video and you want to work on 92's, you should get one. It's definitely worth the asking price.

From what I understand, the Interarms Puma's with the medallions were only made for a couple of years around 1985 to 1986. That might not be 100% correct, but it is what I heard.

Edited by J.W. Sinclair

This is my Interarms Puma .44 Saddle Ring Carbine that was made by Amadeo Rossi.

20160519_022115190_iOS.jpg?psid=1

20160519_022249438_iOS.jpg?psid=1

I liked the wood on it.

Except for being dusty there was nothing wrong with it except for a few dings on the butt stock. The blue was not even worn off of the internal mating surfaces. I'm pretty sure that it had never been apart before I took it down to install a Palo Verde spring kit and smooth it up like in NKJ's video. It you don't have a copy of that video and you want to work on 92's, you should get one. It's definitely worth the asking price.

From what I understand the Interarms Puma's with the medallions were only made for a couple of years around 1985 to 1986. That might not be 100% correct, but it is what I heard.

Dead image links...

J. Bar Binks, thanks, but before I modify any gun I run it a bit to see how it works and then make changes... another "but" you aren't the first to tell me this so if / when I do make changes that would be the first one. Besides, doing a mod right off the bat doesn't give you anything to appreciate about the mod if you never get a chance to see what you improved. :D

I found Rossi 92's at a couple of stores near me with a price of around $550. I have found some used ones for less but those were in .357 Magnum, mostly. The money is not so much a concern as I was willing to pay quite a bit more for a Marlin 1894 but after doing research on the actions I decided a 92 was it for me, especially after I found that they are available. Marlin 1894's NEW in .45 Colt are not. By "new" I mean after RemLin figured out they had a problem and retooled. They have only released the .44 Magnum, or that is all that's available now. In 2015 Marlin said that the .45 Colt chambering would be offered by the "end of the year". That must not have occurred because I highly doubt they all got bought up to where there are none available. Since Marlin doesn't seem to have email that one can ask questions I have only what I can find on-line. I have decided that unless I know for sure a Marlin with the JM stamp hasn't been abused or shot a lot that I will forego buying a used one.

Besides, and this is a silly thing, John Wayne carried the 92 and loved it. I do love my Winchester 94 .357 and I like it's lines, just as the 92 has a sleek outline and low weight. People always tell me at matches when I use my 94 that I need a "faster gun". I just smile because I understand they mean well but I just love that gun. I figure I will love the 92 just as much if not more. Yeah, I'm weird. Speed is not my only goal. Having a great, safe time is...but if I can impress myself with a 92, all the better. ;)

Another funny thing is I do "buy American" in almost everything except motorcycles but there are no American made 92's from what I can tell, unless used...and old. I got real excited about a Winchester 92 that I found on-line at one of the gun sites but when I saw the $1500 price tag my interest crashed.

JW Sinclair, that is one pretty stock. Funny thing is John Henry Quick says the image link is dead but I could see it on my iPhone earlier but not on this cursed PC of mine. I think it's the PC and the software.

Tom Bullweed, thanks but I want to load .45 Colt in my rifle that is adequate for what I want it for. I do not intend to go all out and max out the pressures but I want a load that I can feel confident in. I do not think I would feel confident with a standard .45 Colt load in regards to hunting deer where big kitty-cats roam. I have stared down a cougar in the wild. The .270 bolt action Winchester in my hands all of a sudden didn't give me a lot of confidence. I wasn't carrying a sidearm. I can cycle a lever gun pretty fast, not a bolt gun. As a matter of fact, I despise bolt guns. I no longer own any. Just as I do not like semi-autos. No gun has ever let me down like a semi-auto. I do intend to buy a 45-70 but that is another topic for another time. Thank you for your concern. I do appreciate it.

Best Regards to all,

Pat Riot :FlagAm:

I currently have three 92s and two of them I will NEVER sell.

I also have a 1860 and a 1866 ansd a 1873 and a JM Marlin .

I keep going back to my 92s .

Lighter and I can run full speed ( for me ).

And most shooters Can NOT out run a 92.

Thanks. I guess I am going to have to stop using OneDrive as a host for images to post on the Wire. For some reason they don't get along.

OneDrive works perfectly and both links could be viewed using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. If one doesn't have Microsoft Office = the links won't open

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just sent money off to a Pard in Arizona for a Rossi 92 with a 24" barrel in .45 Colt. It's lightly used. I would tell ya who I bought it from but I didn't get his permission to mention his name here so I won't.

Anyway, I went back and forth between Marlin and a Rossi 92. The problem was the only Marlin's I could find were either to danged high in price or they were chambered for .44 Magnum. I didn't want a .44 Magnum. I did find a few Marlin 1894 Cowboys in .45 Colt but I could not find out when they were made. The sellers all said that they were "new" but as far as I can find out Marlin has not made any since RemLim re-tooled last year...I am getting off track. Enough about the mysteries of gun companies and why they do what they do and when they do it...

I had decided to buy a brand new Rossi 92 but the supplies are drying up real fast. A few websites I looked at showed that they had them available but when you tried to order they did not have them. 2 weeks ago Gallery of Guns had around 30 of them. As of last Friday they had none. One FFL dealer I talked with here in Oregon said that Rossi wouldn't be making any few a little while and they had no idea when they would get any. So, if you think you want to buy a new Rossi 92 you may want to get on the stick about it...just my opinion.

Anyway, I am a very happy man and I am sure I will be just as happy when I actually get my hands on my new toy if it even comes close to how nice the photos look.

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. You all are the best.

Best Regards,

Pat Riot :FlagAm:

I can't help but be curious about something. You have a such a low SASS member number you must have been in this game a really long time.

What rifle have you been using that you are now trading up to a '92?

Here's my 1892 in 45 Colt... since we're showin' off... :D

1892.jpg

Damnd nice looking Rifle.

That looks just like my favorite ,

44 mag Rifle I have .

It just dont get any better looking then this Rifle.

IMHO .

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

Howdy:

I have a Rossi 92 in .454 Casull. The action is VERY strong. It will take just about anything you can give in in a .45 Colt..

STL Suomi

I can't help but be curious about something. You have a such a low SASS member number you must have been in this game a really long time.

What rifle have you been using that you are now trading up to a '92?

d

Cody,

I started out with and still have a Win. 94 Trails End in .357. I used that for a long time then I got my hands on a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp in .38. I stopped shooting CAS at the end of 2004. Now I am back. I had sold the Marlin and I gave my son in law my revolvers. When I decided to come back I moved up to .45 Colt Vaqueros and I want a fast strong rifle in the same caliber.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

My Marlin is chambered in 41 mag. I'd use it for anything up to moose and the big bears. Unfortunately, a heavy bullet (260 gr hard cast WFP) with a whole lot of W296 hurts me almost as much as what I'm shooting at.

My Marlin is chambered in 41 mag. I'd use it for anything up to moose and the big bears. Unfortunately, a heavy bullet (260 gr hard cast WFP) with a whole lot of W296 hurts me almost as much as what I'm shooting at.

Howdy NOZ.

I know the feeling. I load up my non-SASS .45 Colt ammo with heavy 250-300 grain slugs and a healthy dose of LilGun.

As I have mentioned before on the Wire, these hot .45 Colt loads in a 16.25" 1894 Marlin generate power levels equal to the .454 Casull in a 6-7" pistol barrel. And its puts a whoopin on my shoulder.

..........Widder

• Like 1

I run 240gr XTP .

With H110 a tuch hotter then Super Blackhawk Ruger loads.

And my 92 is good to about 200 yards with a hard hit.

LOL Im only good to 100 yards.

Rooster,

I try to limit mine within 50 yards. And I even have a Scorpion Reflex sight w/laser attached..... :D

Most of my .22's even wear nice 3x9 scopes.

..........Widder

Have any of you tried the Hornady FTX LeverEvolution round in .45? Have you loaded the cartridges your self with the FTX bullet? I have shot the factory load in my 7.5" Vaquero. I was impressed with the accuracy at 25 yards and it wasn't punishing at all to fire.

Howdy NOZ.

I know the feeling. I load up my non-SASS .45 Colt ammo with heavy 250-300 grain slugs and a healthy dose of LilGun.

As I have mentioned before on the Wire, these hot .45 Colt loads in a 16.25" 1894 Marlin generate power levels equal to the .454 Casull in a 6-7" pistol barrel. And its puts a whoopin on my shoulder.

..........Widder

On occasion I have to site in one of the 454's I've sold. It always reminds me of the saying some of the 50 cal guys use.

"Marginally better behind it than in front of it " :blink:

Have any of you tried the Hornady FTX LeverEvolution round in .45? Have you loaded the cartridges your self with the FTX bullet? I have shot the factory load in my 7.5" Vaquero. I was impressed with the accuracy at 25 yards and it wasn't punishing at all to fire.

Hornady make some really accurate pistol bullets. I have shot the 45lc ammo and loaded some 357 and shot it. Good stuff.

'92 carbines are the movie and TV guns, which is what aroused my interest. Although some guns may be finicky with ammo, it is usually the .38/.357 that is most finicky. My .45 will chamber empty brass and is not picky about 180, 200, 240 or 250 gr bullets. Congrats on your purchase.

Thank you Go West. I am looking forward to Santa making his delivery early next week.

I really do recommend you get Nate's DVD & ejector spring... It'll make a whale of a difference when you follow his instructions. Or, use Marauder's Rifle Hints.

I really do recommend you get Nate's DVD & ejector spring... It'll make a whale of a difference when you follow his instructions. Or, use Marauder's Rifle Hints.

Thank you Griff. I fully intend to do that...get Nate Kiowa Jones DVD and spring(s) once I get my hands on the rifle and test fire it. I like to see what I have before modifying anything.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Wow...Marauders site is a great resource too. Thank you Griff :D

Indeed.

Info on everything..... including WIddermatic's and Widdermajik's.

:D

..........Widder (Walkin in a WidderWonderLand)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my Rossi 92. It's got the 24" octagon barrel. It's used but it's in great shape, just as Kid Rich, the Pard I bought it from said it was. Thank you Kid Rich! :-)

It is smooth. He said it was a little slicked up and I might want to replace the springs but I am gonna shoot it a bit before I do anything with it. Gotta send for Nate Kiowa Jones' video. I will also be getting one of those plugs for that safety. Man, what a hokey design that is.

It has a flat top rear sight. The jury is out on that for now. I find that I have to search for it when I bring the rifle up as if I am shooting it. It may be just fine but again, I will shoot it a bit first. I may like it.

I am stoked anout my new rifle.

Thank you all for your advice and input. I do appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Pat Riot

Well, I finally got my Rossi 92. It's got the 24" octagon barrel. It's used but it's in great shape, just as Kid Rich, the Pard I bought it from said it was. Thank you Kid Rich! :-)

It is smooth. He said it was a little slicked up and I might want to replace the springs but I am gonna shoot it a bit before I do anything with it. Gotta send for Nate Kiowa Jones' video. I will also be getting one of those plugs for that safety. Man, what a hokey design that is.

It has a flat top rear sight. The jury is out on that for now. I find that I have to search for it when I bring the rifle up as if I am shooting it. It may be just fine but again, I will shoot it a bit first. I may like it.

I am stoked anout my new rifle.

Thank you all for your advice and input. I do appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Pat Riot

Congratulations on your 92 I Love All Three of mine !

I use FULL Buckhorn sights on mine.

Kinda like a red dot.

Just keep both eyes open and just put the front dot on what you want to hit :-)