SASS Wire Forum

Reloaded 12 Ga shell base oversized - Great Solution

Warhorse

:excl: I recently discovered that I have a number of reloaded 12 Ga shotgun shells that have the brass base slightly oversized. This is enough that they fail a 12Ga size tester and have difficulty chambering in my newer '97. I suspect that the chamber of my older '97 is slightly oversize and may be the source of the problem. (No, I have not yet verified that this is actually the source of the problem.) I am asking for a different solution.

I found that the sizing die on my MEC 650 progressive reloading press only sizes down to slightly less than 1/4" from the rim. The reason for this is that it has to make allowance for the shell holder and the die mouth is champhered about 1/8" at the bottom to ensure easing entering of the shell into the die.

My question: Is there some die that will resize a loaded shell closer to the rim or is there some other approach to allow me to resize the shell base without the need to unload the oversized shells, save the powder, primers and shot, then reload shells that do pass the size tester?

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

:excl: See Post #7.

[NOTE: I do plan to test my older '97 to see if it will chamber these oversized shells. If so, I will simply shoot them in that gun and then discard the fired shells. Again, I am asking for a different solution, hoping that something else does exist.]

:wub:EDIT: I received my Super Sizer today and it is a GREAT solution! See Post #20

Warhorse

First you do not state what press you are using, BUT, from the dialog, I assume it's a MEC 600 jr. This press uses a sizing ring at the mouth of the tube on the De-prime station. These are usually very efficient, and do the re-size quite nicely.

There is a possibility that the sizing ring is worn out, and needs replacing, or is not adjusted properly. A new one is cheap, (about $5), so no big deal. The adjustment is the thickness of a nickle between the ring and the press frame, with the handle fully down. This clearance is needed to prevent mashing the case rim flat when reloading, which will affect the head space when loaded in the gun.

Check the diameter of the case head on a shell that has been re-sized on your press. It should measure about .806 to .807, or a bit less. If it measures as much as .810 or above, the sizing ring is worn out, and needs replaced.

Check this out and let us know what you find.

RBK

Mec 600's do not use a shell holder in the sizing/depriming station, so it must be a different sizer.

Are you say'n that you can not adjust the sizer to size the full length of your case?

On a MEC, the sizeing ring is screw adjustable. Adjust the ring to 1/16" from the base of the press.

Please confirm make and model of your press.

OLG

I edited my original post. The press is a MEC 650 progressive that I have owned for a half century. As I stated, the die is champhered less than 18" to facilitate entry of the shell into the die and the shell holder takes up the balance of the unsizeable area. I have adjusted the die as far down as it will go.

I was looking for something like another die or something inexpensive. I cannot justify buying a MEC Supersizer at around $114 for less than 25 shells in this condition.

I am beginning to suspect that the simplest solution is simply to take these shells apart and save the components, then discard the shell casings.

I found that the sizing die on my MEC 650 progressive reloading press only sizes down to slightly less than 1/4" from the rim.

In fact, if you read MEC's product catalog from the last ten years or so, you will find that they admit that the 650 "does not size the case head" at all! Right in Print!

I cannot justify buying a MEC Supersizer at around $114 for less than 25 shells in this condition.

Well, this will NOT be the only set of shells that you will run across which will be oversize. Winchester has been making poor quality shells (thus poor quality hulls) for several years now, and the trend seems to be getting worse.

I have been very happy with my MEC Grabber loader, with the collet resizer instead of the 650's ring resizer. It never fails to get the base of the hull into standard diameter. Only a stepped on mouth that distorts the plastic walls of the round will cause a failure to fit the gauge after loading.

Perhaps it's time you upgrade from ring to collet sizing? And the cheapest way to do that is ......just break down and buy a SuperSizer (MEC 77). Both use the same collet type of tight resizing. For Cowboy shooting and slick shucking, it's just about mandatory to size the base real tightly.

The faster loading approach - trade your 50 year old 650 for a 8567N Grabber. It's probably paid off by now.

am beginning to suspect that the simplest solution is simply to take these shells apart and save the components, then discard the shell casings.

Simplest of most solutions - (as you already posted) just shoot the 25 bad shells in your sloppy-chamber gun, and discard them. Then quit shooting that gun because - if the chamber IS sloppy, you will expand every hull you shoot in it. But that won't be a very happy solution for you, if you don't go to positive resizing with the collet type sizer.

Good luck, GJ

I learned from GJ and others about the Supersizer when I got a Mec Jr. when I changed over to plastic hulls.

After sizing the hulls fly out of my SxS.

I found a supersizer on e-bay a while back. It sure makes running my VersaMec easier.

WOW!!! Now we know the rest of the story!!!

A 650 MEC DOES NOT RESIZE THE HULL. When using a 650, it's necessary to use a Super Sizer when reloading, to resize the hulls. Been that way since day one.

The 650 operates exactly as does a Grabber, but does NOT resize the hull. By using a Super Sizer, prior to reloading on the 650 press, cures all the problems.

RBK

As mentioned above I, too, resize every hull before reloading.

Gives me a chance to discard bad ones and mark the ones that have one reload left (you know, the ones in bad shape but you KNOW you can get one more reload out of them)

I did splurge and get a full length 12 ga shell cartridge gauge http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1431 local cowboy has them for $24

now I'm sure my shot shells are back to factory specs after reloading

cr

With my 97/16 and plastic shells. Winchester & Remington feed and function great. Not so with the Purple Federals. To make the Federals acceptable I must use the Supersizer and size all factory loaded shells prior to use.

I bought my first SuperSizer 30 Years ago. A must have for reloading plastic, unless you have a press with the collet type resizer. Like the Mec Grabber, Size Master, etc.

OK. I have now placed an order for a MEC Super Sizer. Apparently it will handle both empty shells and already loaded shells. Yeah, MEC does say not to use it with loaded shells but it seems that it will work but may require some extra care and precautions.

Thanks to Nickel City Dude for that last bit of information and thanks to all who responded.

Warhorse

OK. I have now placed an order for a MEC Super Sizer. Apparently it will handle both empty shells and already loaded shells. Yeah, MEC does say not to use it with loaded shells but it seems that it will work but may require some extra care and precautions.

Thanks to Nickel City Dude for that last bit of information and thanks to all who responded.

Warhorse

You are 100% correct. You can safely resize loaded shells on the Super Sizer. Mec says No, but that's just "Lawyereze". It's done all the time and I've never ever heard of a problem. I personally resized 4 cases of 410's once for a friend that had a problem.

You are on the right track now. Good Luck. RBK

The MEC Super Sizer arrived today and I promptly put it to work. Yup! I am impressed! It is easy to use and fast. The results were most satisfying and I am now a believer!

Thanks to all who suggested that this would be a good solution. It really is!

Warhorse

Archived