SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shot Gun

Ace Hanlon

Have a couple of questions:

Can a SxS chambered for 3" shells be used with 2 3/4" shells?

Is there a disadvantage of shooting 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chamber?

Looked in shooters handbook information regarding 3" chambers but was unable to find any reference.

Thanks

You can shoot 2-3/4" in a 3" chambered shotgun with no problem. It is done all the time! In fact many modern shotguns are chambered for 3-1/2" and are used for 2-3/4" on a regular basis.

Fire away!

WK

One important note, DON'T fire 3" shells in a shotgun chambered for 2-3/4" shells. Bad things may not always happen, but they could and I like my fingers, I'm sure you do to!

WK

There are no references to "Chambers" anywhere in the SASS handbooks. There is no known disadvantage to 2 3/4 inch modern star crimped or roll crimped hulls in 3 inch chambers.

I will second the caution about perhaps firing 3 inch hulls in a 2 3/4 chamber or even firing 2 3/4 Hulls in 2 1/2 inch chambers.

Coffinmaker

In a 3" chamber shooting a 2 3/4' shell has the same effect as a long forcing cone in a 2 3/4" chamber and should produce slightly less recoil.

J.M.

Ace Hanlon,

I have fired a couple thousand 2 3/4" shells in my Stoeger. I did fire a couple 3" rounds in it once...ONCE! It was quite an experience that I won't do again...at least not without a recoil pad.

It's the same concept as firing .38 Special in a .357 Magnum. No problem. You just can't go bigger, like to a 3 1/2" shell.

Archived