SASS Wire Forum

H&R Rifle ?

Picked up an H&R Mustang (precursor to the Handi Rifle) the other day.

Sweet little rifle; only made from 1965 to 1966; has a 22" barrel in 30-30; miniature globe front sight & buckhorn rear; with an ejector.

Must have had 5 shots total put thru it before it got stuffed in a closet for 40 years. Still had the original paperwork with it.

Now to business - I'm sure there's been some rule changes since the last time I was hereabouts (at least 3 years ago) so I'm wondering about its legality for use in long-range side matches? Any category restrictions?

Thanx in advance.

Ejectors are not allowed in long range (except on trapdoors) the Handi Rifle is very popular in Plainsman side matches. Most have a modern (ejectors allowed) and traditional (extractors only) category. plus you have to check the sights. If it came with a Williams reciever mounted peep site....no Bueno. A Smith ladder sight works well.

I have a H&R Buffalo Classic. Basically same rifle, but extractor only, and has a 32" barrel. I've shot it out to 400 yds. They are not very "stylish", but they are good rifles.

What I'm kind of wanting now is an 1885 Hiwall in 38-55.

Thank you, Sedalia Dave.

That rubber bushing looks like just the ticket.

I was loathe to do any surgery on the internals, and every ejector to extractor mod I found involved some serious grinding on a part they don't make anymore.

Will definitely give this a try.

Thank you, Sedalia Dave.

That rubber bushing looks like just the ticket.

I was loathe to do any surgery on the internals, and every ejector to extractor mod I found involved some serious grinding on a part they don't make anymore.

Will definitely give this a try.

You are welcome

I cut 2 shims for each side for mine out of an old AA hull. The one closest to the roll pin is a little narrower than the one on the outside. Cut them long to facilitate getting them into place and then trim off the excess with a razor blade.

Lots more good info about Handi Rifles here

and

here Scroll down to the H&R talk section.

Archived