SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli Lightning In 38-40

Yul Lose

A few months ago I mentioned that I would be installing a Redman 38-40 barrel liner in one of my Pedersoli Lightnings. I've been told by a few people in the past that the 38-40 was an ideal cartridge for that type of a rifle. Well I decided to try to build a Lightning rifle in that caliber and it turned out better than I had hoped for. All that I have left to do is sand the barrel and send it out to be reblued and then reassemble it and it's done. I've ran 100 rounds through it and I had two minor issues in the first 20 rounds that were corrected with a few strokes of a file. The next 70 rounds fed and fired flawlessly.

Once the rifle is finished I'll post some pictures and hopefully some videos. The 100 rounds that I fired were factory loads so now that I have some empty brass I'll work up some CAS loads. Should any of you want to attempt this on your own it wasn't that difficult. If you'll PM me I'll tell you the parts I used and what drill bit works the best (that's the secret) and you don't necessarily need a lathe to drill out the barrel for the liner, a hand drill will work just fine. I'm going to use this rifle as my main match rifle down the road and if it does what I think it will do I've got a 24" Pedersoli Lightning that I'm going to reline in 38-40 also.

Archived