SASS Wire Forum

Factory 2nds?

Hoss

I remember reading an article a long time ago, that said that the guns that the manufacturer sent to places like Gibsons, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, Sears etc were "seconds", not quite as good fit/finish or wood as the guns they sent to real "gun stores". I don't know if that was true if not. Makes me wonder if the same holds true today, with less than 1st quality being sent to Walmart etc and the nicer guns going to dedicated gun stores.

Any thoughts?

I know with Marlins, the off brand like Glenfield had birch wood. Same exact gun, Marlin had walnut and Glenfield had birch. I did purchase a Henry Golden Boy a couple months ago from Walmart. When I took it apart it looked like they didn't set the machine up correctly and it started to drill some holes that weren't needed in the receiver. They may very well be getting the factory seconds now.

Personally I believe its just internet rumor. This is a common question that seems to keep coming up on lots of gun forums for years. However all you see is people asking of its true or someone saying they bought a lemon from Walmart. Its true Walmart probably buys in bulk like lots of other big box stores so there is more of a chance to get a bad one. I do think the smaller gun shops that have reputable gun people that work there probably go over the guns they get in and cull out the bad ones to send back while Walmart etc. just sells as they come in.

But do I think Smith & Wesson, Colt, Remington, Browning etc. has factory seconds they put aside for the big box stores? Nope.... ;) Do I think you could still get one that's not quite right from the regular gun shop? You bet.

Archived