SASS Wire Forum

Shot a 454 Casull today

Hoss

Twice! Really didn't want to go for 3 :)

330 grain RNFP @1425 FPS. It was quite a handful. Fun to at least try, hard to imagine a practical purpose for one. No Grizzly or polar bears in S Texas!

Twice! Really didn't want to go for 3 :)

330 grain RNFP @1425 FPS. It was quite a handful. Fun to at least try, hard to imagine a practical purpose for one. No Grizzly or polar bears in S Texas!

Now you understand 'WHY' here aren't any Grizzlies or Polar Bears in Texas..... :lol:

..........Widder

The DA's aren't as bad as the SA"s, at least the Ruger Super Redhawk. Kinda like shooting a shotgun at the end of your arm. (not with cowboy loads!)

A friend has a custom 500 Linebaugh on a Ruger Bisley. His "mild" load is a 420 grain lead SWC at 1200 fps. One cylinder full and my hands are getting numb and I'm developing a flinch. I'm not man enough for this one!

Many things are just fun to have and use. If everything had to be useful and practical, well let's just say my wife may not have kept me around for more than 31 years!

That said, I did enjoy making 5 hits out of 5 shots on a steel grizzly silhouette at 585 yards with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull. And all that horse power in my '70 Z-28 was also more than practical too, but I can tell you that I replaced more than one clutch and too many sets of tires to count before I was done with it!

The factory loads are VERY hot, I load my Freedom Arms 454 5 1/2" I use for deer hunting with a 250 grn bullet and it's a lot milder. My wife asked to shoot it once while we were out target practicing. She not only hit and knocked over the steel target she giggled and asked to shoot it again.

I've owned a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 at one time.

I actually enjoyed shooting it but because I never hunted with it, I found myself having an expensive 'plinking' pistol to reload. So I sold it.

THEN, I trimmed back some .454 brass into .45 Colt length and loaded em up hot with LilGun powder. I discovered with 250 and 300 grain slugs in my Marlin 1894 with 16.25" barrel, I could achieve .454 Pistol performance.

It is a beast to shoot from the shoulder. A real slobberknocker.

The next time HOGzilla walks thru my yard, there will fresh bacon in the frying pan the next morning..... ;)

..........Widder

The 454 Casull is fine round for stopping those armored possums(armadillo's) that you have every where in Texas. It is also a fine round for stopping a rabid charging blood crazed squirrel.

I have taken 18 bull elk, numerous whitetail bucks, and other species with Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolver. .Love my FA 454s, got a 6" and 10". I run them with pretty stiff loads of H110 pushing a 260 gr FA bullet at 1850 to near 1900 fps (according to which barrel length). Awesome revolvers. When the 475 Linebaugh was introduced by FA I was on an invitational hunt as a writer and had opportunity to try one that Bob (Baker-CEO) had brought. I decided after firing it that there was not much more it could do for me on North American Continent that the 454 could not do, and not near as versatile. 185s can be loaded with Bullseye in 454 to make a nice plinking and small game load or one can run a 250 at 44 mag velocities, or one can climb into the heavier 300+ weights if more muzzle energy (and recoil) is desired. 454 Casull, especially in a FA Model 83, is just a great caliber in the big revolver world.

I prefer the .460 myself and think of the .454 as the loud annoying cousin. A .460 revolver is a lot more versatile than a .454 and I don't have to change primer systems to load .460 and .45 LC. That small rifle primer sure is annoying.

Love my 454 Casull........Love it even more once I built a muzzle brake for it!

P1010005-vi.jpg

Killed a cpoule bears and a deer with it. They don't go too far!

I also have a Taurus 1892 rifle in the same caliber. A shoulder thumper for sure!

DSC_2600-vi.jpg

Had a Nickel plated Raging bull in 454 Casull that was given to me by a friend. I liked the gun, but not the nickel. If it had been black or stainless, I would have probably kept it, but traded it on a Kimber.

The 454 Casull is fine round for stopping those armored possums(armadillo's) that you have every where in Texas. It is also a fine round for stopping a rabid charging blood crazed squirrel.

If you want to transport the squirrel into another dimension; just like shooting song birds with a 12 ga.

I use to have a premier grade F.A. with a magna ported 7 1/2" barrel, after about 15 rounds I would have to tighten the screws. They are the only one that you can't shoot a 45 colt with out voiding the warranty. It does have alot of recoil and noise. I decided if I need a gun like that I will carry a rifle.

Archived