SASS Wire Forum

The California Catastrophe

Well folks... here it is.

The dreaded Proposition 63 was passed by the ill-informed masses. Recreational shooters, and of course the criminals, will now have to register with the state and have to have a permit to buy ammunition... as well as undergo background checks (at the time of purchase?).

Also, the mere ownership of a magazine with a capacity exceeding ten rounds is now illegal. Laws passed in 2000 made them illegal to purchase, but allowed the possession of any owned prior to the passage. Not so now... If you have Grandpa's M1 Carbine and a bunch of 15 round magazines, you are required to surrender them.

Excerpted from a news article this morning: "Both the new law and the initiative require background checks for buying ammunition, but the initiative uses a different process with fewer exceptions. The ballot measure also would require background checks for ammunition dealers and require dealers to report lost or stolen bullets."

I'll stop before I get in trouble. -_-

So how are the logistics going to work with this? Do you have to wait ten days for the background check to clear to purchase ammo? If not, then do you still have to wait ten days to buy guns? I am hoping for a lot of legal challenges to this one. In the meantime, guess I'll have to keep making my own.

Deep but as yet unanswered questions, RK.

Regarding your third query, the state Supreme Court already overturned the ten day waiting period... but it's still in practice due to a challenge by our now-new Senator.

I'm with you on hoping for legal challenges.

It's kind of difficult trying to reconcile the logic of this new regulation in a state where now convicted prisoners are no longer prisoners, theft and property crime of less than $950 is only a "ticket-able" offense*, pot is legal, lead bullets are illegal, and so on.

*The single good part of Prop 63 is it restores the felony status to the theft of a firearm regardless of it's monetary value.

We have had this same law in Massachusetts for years. You need to take a 4 hour to 6 hour course, apply to your local police chief for a FID card or an LTC (This can take months to get), and when you buy any reloading components or ammo you need to show your FID or LTC. We can not buy ANY reloading components or ammo through the mail. Powder, Brass, primers are not allowed by mail. Only face to face at an FFL with showing of permit.

Or.....We can drive to RI, NH, VT or Maine and but this stuff over the counter. No questions asked......

So Roy B.... how long is the FID card valid? Do you have to renew it periodically? Re-take the course to do so...?

Ours is said to require annual renewal. :(

$100 and good for 6 years.

Lots of folks forget to renew in time and then you have a 90 day window. But you can't take your guns out of the house during the 90 days. And most police departments have many month long waiting lists for the renewal. My local police chief says to apply for renewal at least 8 months before expiration date.

You do not have to retake the course. Just money and an appointment with the chief.

With the NRAs backing of Trump .

I am sure we will see more than one gun law vetoed in more then one state !

We got what we deserved. I just checked the vote totals.

Yes was about 5.5 million, No was about 3.25 million. If the 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 gun owners in CA can't get off their butts to vote garbage like this down, we deserve this travesty.

Fortunately, Firearms Policy Center and the NRA have lawsuits ready to drop. I hope that this is a disguised blessing and that whatever court gets it will strike it down with a broad enough ruling to hold the door wide open for other laws to be struck down.

Plus, over the next few years it looks like our new president will be able to nominate two, maybe even three, justices to the US Supreme Court.

Yes was about 5.5 million, No was about 3.25 million. If the 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 gun owners in CA can't get off their butts to vote garbage like this down, we deserve this travesty.

Fortunately, Firearms Policy Center and the NRA have lawsuits ready to drop. I hope that this is a disguised blessing and that whatever court gets it will strike it down with a broad enough ruling to hold the door wide open for other laws to be struck down.

Plus, over the next few years it looks like our new president will be able to nominate two, maybe even three, justices to the US Supreme Court.

I guess I'll have to disagree with some of your assumptions in who voted for this turd. I've talked to quite a few gun owners who voted for it. They don't own any high cap mags and don't think anyone should. They think there should be a background check for ammo. I got into it with somebody out at the range the other day and we almost came to blows, not a good thing when guns are involved. He thinks Gavin is the second coming of Christ. Just about made me puke.

Looking at what Yul and SDJ have said and the obvious mood of even some of the gun owners in California, I'd say that they've ingested the koolade and redemption is no longer a possibility!!

I'm a dumbass!! I'm a non-college educated know nothing!!!!. I'm deplorable!! BUT!!! I am smart enough to know when to cut bait!! Even given family and friends, property and employment, love of the climate and your surroundings, or ANYTHING short of critical responsibility to a loved one who can't be transplanted, I'D BE OUT OF THERE SO FAST THAT THERE'D BE A TSUNAMI CAUSED BY THE VACUUM FROM MY DEPARTURE!!!

Knowing when you're over matched and knowing when to retreat and regroup is essential to survival!!

You have my sincerest sympathy for your situation and my support for your continued struggle!! You also have the knowledge that we wait with the red carpet rolled out for you if and when you decide to leave the oppression for greener pastures. Your added presence here would fortify our position at the bulwark raised against that oppression!!!

Looking at what Yul and SDJ have said and the obvious mood of even some of the gun owners in California, I'd say that they've ingested the koolade and redemption is no longer a possibility!!

I'm a dumbass!! I'm a non-college educated know nothing!!!!. I'm deplorable!! BUT!!! I am smart enough to know when to cut bait!! Even given family and friends, property and employment, love of the climate and your surroundings, or ANYTHING short of critical responsibility to a loved one who can't be transplanted, I'D BE OUT OF THERE SO FAST THAT THERE'D BE A TSUNAMI CAUSED BY THE VACUUM FROM MY DEPARTURE!!!

Knowing when you're over matched and knowing when to retreat and regroup is essential to survival!!

You have my sincerest sympathy for your situation and my support for your continued struggle!! You also have the knowledge that we wait with the red carpet rolled out for you if and when you decide to leave the oppression for greener pastures. Your added presence here would fortify our position at the bulwark raised against that oppression!!!

Thanks for your support and believe me when I say that if I financially and marritally could I'd be gone in a heartbeat. It's real tough to find good places to hide all of my virtual stuff that is going to be illegal some day soon so I took it all out in the ocean and dumped it this morning while I was working in my workshop.

I'm confident that when the Supreme Court gets remade over the next 8 Trump years that most of these stoopid gun laws will be proven to be unconstitutional.

I can see your point, Yul, but even with the idiots who voted against civil rights I think there are enough with more than one brain cell that it could have been voted down.

Of course, since they didn't vote maybe they don't have more than one brain cell.

Look a little deeper at the appointing power of the President.......

Stunning to say the least......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Barack_Obama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_George_W._Bush

I was born and raised Californian be a Californian till the day I die same with my wife and for reason I will not post here left California and moved to Nevada. So for all my California Pards weather I know you or not I will offer a place for you to store your soon to be illegal in California weapons and magazines

I was born and raised Californian be a Californian till the day I die same with my wife and for reason I will not post here left California and moved to Nevada. So for all my California Pards weather I know you or not I will offer a place for you to store your soon to be illegal in California weapons and magazines

You might have to build a bigger house.

Unfortunately, due to the huge influx of Democrats into this state (Nevada), Question 1 passed and you will no longer be able to store those guns for your friends without having them transferred to you at an ffl. Sad to see this state moving in the same direction as California.

I foresee more traffic on I-15 heading for Las Vegas to buy components for ammo! :)

Oh!

You can come shoot with us on the weekend for an excuse.....................

• 3 weeks later...

Being a Montanan originally, this past year living in Illinois, having to get a FOID card and being subject to Illinois gun laws, was bad enough. Thankfully we are now living in Texas to be near our first grandchild.

I will also extend the offer to house/store any items that folks need to retain ownership of but can no longer keep in your respective Republik(s).

If that means I get another safe, so be it. Already temporally housing a friends 1973 Pantera.

• 5 weeks later...

I lived in CA for 23 years on and off in my adult life. I sent money to all the pro firearms groups and belonged to several as a member, I voted, I urged others to vote and yet through it all it didn't seem to make a difference. After my last 3 year stint there I had enough and left. I will probably never return to live there even though I have family there. The new laws are absolutely ludicrous.

So every time... EVERY time, I think it can't get any weirder/worse/more stomach churning, I'm reminded that it can indeed. emo2.gifemo24.gif

Now it seems that the Golden Tarnished Brass-Plate State has gone and hired Mister Fast and Furious hisself to further their wacko agenda... emo10.gif

California Hires Holder

So every time... EVERY time, I think it can't get any weirder/worse/more stomach churning, I'm reminded that it can indeed. emo24.gif

Now it seems that the Golden Tarnished Brass-Plate State has gone and hired Mister Fast and Furious hisself to further their wacko agenda... emo10.gif

California Hires Holder

Oh-Boy, what I REALLY want to say would have Allie blushing as she bans me from this forum. :angry:

OLG

So every time... EVERY time, I think it can't get any weirder/worse/more stomach churning, I'm reminded that it can indeed. emo24.gif

California Hires Holder

Have to wonder, if all the lawyers CA has on the payroll are so incompetent, including our new AG, why doesn't the State fire them and hire ones who are competent?

I also have to wonder who de Leon is paying off for what. What is he paying to hide?

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, due to the huge influx of Democrats into this state (Nevada), Question 1 passed and you will no longer be able to store those guns for your friends without having them transferred to you at an ffl. Sad to see this state moving in the same direction as California.

Fortunately the Nanny Bloomberg Astroturf organization that got Question One on the Nov 2016 ballot tried to draw into an inside strait by requiring NICS be used for the background check rather than the NV DOJ which performs the checks for FFL transfers. Either they were ignorant (figured the FBI would gladly perform the checks or too clever by half. If written to have the NV DOJ do the checks the ballot summary would have to included a State approved budget cost estimate and if they wanted to have $0 cost to the State authorized a fee. It is pretty obvious they were afraid this would have resulted in its' defeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your support and believe me when I say that if I financially and marritally could I'd be gone in a heartbeat. It's real tough to find good places to hide all of my virtual stuff that is going to be illegal some day soon so I took it all out in the ocean and dumped it this morning while I was working in my workshop.

I'm confident that when the Supreme Court gets remade over the next 8 Trump years that most of these stoopid gun laws will be proven to be unconstitutional.

Hay Pard .

Im in Michigan one of the free states still So far.

I WILL STORE ALL YOUR NONE KALIFORNIA Stuff for you .

Im Not Joking really .

If you need to smuggle your none compliant stuff off from behind enemy lines

Untill the Country gets straightened out !

I LOVE IDAHO!!!!

Archived