SASS Wire Forum

? about Indian wars, etc...

Widder, SASS #59054

I've seen the movies where the wagons are circles or the soldiers are surrounded by the Indians.

The Indians ride their horses in a circle, shooting guns and arrows.

I wonder how many Indians were shot or killed by their brothers firing from the other side of the circle, missing the shot at the intended victim?

..........Widder

I've had that same pondering.

Few, I'd imagine...

They weren't as stoopid as the Hollyweird writers and producers. :rolleyes:

Everybody is breaking the 170!!!!!

I have wondered how often the wagons were in a line rather than a circle, due to favorable topography or a lack of time to form that circle.

The famous two wagon box fights involved individual wagons, a couple of Hnery 1860s and some mighty surprised native cavalry.

I think that the program should have been to shoot the indians' horses - they are much bigger targets and without them the indians would tire out pretty quickly running in a circle around the wagons.

That's funny. I can see it happening in a Mel Brooks movie. :) But joking aside, I think horse-stopping capability was taken into consideration when the government went with the Colt revolver vs the S&W. I know they wound up reducing the powder charge in the Colt, and soldiers armed with Colts were often as not issued S&W cartridges. But the stopping power of the .45 Colt cartridge weighed heavily in that decision.

Guest Grass Range #51406

What is really dumb is trying to outrun anyone horseback if you are driving a wagon or stagecoach. This probably only happens in the movies

Nothing like a Yiddish-speaking Indian! :wacko: BTW, Crazy Horse's grandson lives in Israel! ;)

A bunch of buddies sat in the front row of the balcony to see the film...

When the chief (Mel Brooks) started his Yiddish shtick my Jewish friend sitting next to me almost fell overboard, he was laughing so hard. emo30.gif

Archived