SASS Wire Forum

How would you make EOT more attractive?

Jackaroo, # 29989

One thing that I hope no one ever questions is the dedication of the core SASS employees. Not only do they work all year long to keep SASS viable they have to put on the world championship. That's no small fete. Sure many volunteers step up when EOT comes around but the planning, scheduling, awards and on and on and on all take many hours over the year to ensure EOT goes smoothly. I don't know how many of you observed the workings of EOT this year but there were many opportunities for things to really come apart. Misty and her crew were able to keep the lid on and the rain out and smiles on everyones faces. I'm quite confident that EOT 2017 will again have an increase in participants and it will again be a match that everyone should try to attend. As someone once said " You can't be a World Champion if you don't shoot in the World Championship".

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix has a very large population of retirees, most of whom probably remember the golden days of the cowboy movies and tv shows. The local news stations usually give WR a plug. EoT doesn't have those advantages.

Don't forget the Huge population of LA just a few hours away. Also, the destination is AZ in February! Big Airport. Lots of variables on how and why.

I think EOT has made vast improvements over the last 5 years. It a fantastic shooters match.

The location is never going to work for everyone, no matter where it's located.

I'd suggest everyone go and try it out with an open mind.

Regards,

Ringer

Don't forget the Huge population of LA just a few hours away. Also, the destination is AZ in February! Big Airport. Lots of variables on how and why.

I think EOT has made vast improvements over the last 5 years. It a fantastic shooters match.

The location is never going to work for everyone, no matter where it's located.

I'd suggest everyone go and try it out with an open mind.

Regards,

Ringer

Well said!

Plus One to Snakebite. Founders is right next to "nowhere." Move it somewhere there are some TREES and some GRASS, ya know ..... LAWN?? That stuff. It could be much closer to Population. Any population.

I realize it's a bit late in the game, but ........ oh never mind.

Coffinmaker

Plus One to Snakebite. Founders is right next to "nowhere." Move it somewhere there are some TREES and some GRASS, ya know ..... LAWN?? That stuff. It could be much closer to Population. Any population.

I realize it's a bit late in the game, but ........ oh never mind.

Coffinmaker

But you know what happens when you get close to population. It encrioaches. Then you're surrounded by complainers.

But you know what happens when you get close to population. It encrioaches. Then you're surrounded by complainers.

Yep, come one day the Founders Ranch location may be the perfect location. Don't see a lot of chances for encroachment there. They do get their share of complainers though.

Well heaps of interesting thoughts and ideas.

Looking back through the posts it does indicate that a shorter schedule maybe more attractive to shooters, probably mirroring WR in running Moday to Sunday., and cutting the WB stages back to 10. This enables time in the afternoons for other side events.

I tend to agree with HK Iriah post about the WB match, it was cluttered with too many targets on some stages, up to 35 on some, and too much 'shooter choice' as to how they could be shot. While I didn't shoot the match, my darling did and I kept her company and observed the posse and shooters. On some occasions on those multiple target stages the spotters were at a loss if a procedural had occurred cause everyone shot them different, and with mixture of knock downs and statics they shrugged their shoulders?

Maybe prudent to find little more stage direction there, while the match was one of...you knew you'd shot a WB match....difficult .....and different to WR, it was a good one. Obviously there's a happy medium which can be found.

Speed matches,..I'm not really a fan of shoot as much as you want ..fastest time wins?? You only shoot each stage once, if you're keen on winning the speed rifle for example then practice on the practice bay, then come down and do your run, first one counts, that's it.

We've seen a few shooters going head to head for hours,..think that's unfair when someone else may put down a great clean time, then have a top shooter have 6 goes before he beats it?

This would shorten the speed event times I believe and the speed event entry fee maybe could be dumped.!

Different type side matches could also be another innovative idea, a challenge more than a speed event, who knows?

Finally I'd like to mention one last point, if I'm correct EOT is always finishes on the last weekend in June. We saw a few years ago when the month has 5 weekends it throws the schedule out completely and conflicts with other events either side, 2019 will see this occur again.

For consistency if it were still finished on the 4th weekend every year, that problem would be solved. One other added expense is that for us international shooters, the air fares increase on the 16th June the start of the high season, that extra week out puts extra costs on those shooters, either they come earlier and then have extra accommodation and car rental expenses.

As it is it is usually around $6000 to $7500 AU dollars to make the trip worthwhile trying to do some other shoots close by and get some added value for money.

As the Col said, just the view from my saddle.

Archived