SASS Wire Forum

Another Codymatic- my dilemma: a second .38 or a .45 this time?

Ripsaw

Howdy Pards,

I am having trouble making a decision between a second Codymatic in .38 (.357) or getting one in .45C.

I shoot .38s in matches now, am a relatively new shooter (less than 2 years) and am still honing my skills. Right now my match rifle is a .38 Codymatic, which is fabulous, BTW.

I have a pair of .45C revolvers already, so a .45C rifle would allow me to shoot that caliber. I already reload both .45C and C45S, so I've got the ammo covered.

If I buy another .38, I'll likely use it more often, (less expensive to shoot) and have a better main match backup than my current backup which is a Rossi 92. (certainly could use the .45 as a backup by having the proper ammo with me).

Looking for pros and cons. (Yeah, buy both. Eventually that's the answer, but right now if you had to buy only one...)

What would you advise this relative newcomer to the game?

The .45 opens up Classic Cowboy and Wild Bunch for ya. That would clinch it for me...

I wouldn't buy either! Before buying a rifle in 45 Colt I would buy one chambered in 44-40. Like yourself I have been shooting CAS less than two years and have two Uberti 1873 Codymatics, one chambered in .357, the other in 44-40. I've never had the need for a backup and personally think the idea is way over rated and the 44-40 is the cleanest shooting caliber you will have the pleasure of shooting. I started shooting the .357 but moved to the larger cartridge and haven't shot the .357 in matches since.

Howdy Ripsaw,

If you decide on the .45 I expect it will be just because you want one. There a several compelling reasons to choose the .38 over the .45 and I'm sure you already know what they are. The only reasons to choose the .45 would be as Griff pointed out. (CC and WB).

BUT; I agree with George and suggest a 44-40. That would cover the CC & WB options AND would solve the dilemma of "Do I load lighter and maybe shoot a little faster, or load heavier and not need to clean the rifle so often". Granted, it will cost a bit more initially to setup for loading it.

Howdy Ripsaw,

If you decide on the .45 I expect it will be just because you want one. There a several compelling reasons to choose the .38 over the .45 and I'm sure you already know what they are. The only reasons to choose the .45 would be as Griff pointed out. (CC and WB).

BUT; I agree with George and suggest a 44-40. That would cover the CC & WB options AND would solve the dilemma of "Do I load lighter and maybe shoot a little faster, or load heavier and not need to clean the rifle so often". Granted, it will cost a bit more initially to setup for loading it.

I fully agree. The internals of my 73 in 44-40 stay clean with black powder loads and are a mess with 66 and 45 colt smokeless loads.

My vote is for 38/357 Codymatic

My suggestion would be to make your backup to anything as close to what your main weapon is as possible. Cody rifles can vary a little in stroke, so I would take your main rifle with you and try and get another one with about the same stroke.

My suggestion would be to make your backup to anything as close to what your main weapon is as possible. Cody rifles can vary a little in stroke, so I would take your main rifle with you and try and get another one with about the same stroke.

I have 2 Codys in 45 Colt and they are each great rifles. I never expected to purchase a second but after having handled one a couple years ago at a state match from a vendor, I had to have it. It was smoother than my original Cody. :blink: Both rifles are absolutely great rifles, but like C. S. points out, they differ just a bit. Each has its own unique feel. Now my first Cody is my backup rifle.

Although I shoot 45 Colt and love 45 Colt, I agree with the suggestions of going with a 44-40 ESPECIALLY if you ever want to shoot black powder.

All said and done, it IS easier to only have to worry about 1 caliber at the loading table though.

First, the 44-40 is a great rifle, especially for black powder.

But do you have any other 44-40 guns? Do you reload the 44-40?

Do you want to?

If you want a 45, go for it.

But it seems you have answered your question with your comments.

Cost and having a good backup for your main rifle - go with the 38 caliber.

Whats your end game?

Do you wish to compete in your chosen category, if so what do you need to do to accomplish that?

Is it for the enjoyment of shooting? then choose what you enjoy most.

If you chose competition then your money may be better spent on 38 pistols or upgrading your shotgun.

That's how I would approach this.

EMN

Great feedback, fellas. I do not currently have any 44-40 guns, so I don't reload that. I shoot smokeless at this point. So I think 44-40 is off the table for the time being.

Still being a new shooter, my focus is on improving my transitions and staying consistent. If I'm used to shooting a .38, can I pick up a .45 rifle and run it the same way? Or does it feel so different that I will need to re-learn target acquisition and shot timing?

Great feedback, fellas. I do not currently have any 44-40 guns, so I don't reload that. I shoot smokeless at this point. So I think 44-40 is off the table for the time being.

Still being a new shooter, my focus is on improving my transitions and staying consistent. If I'm used to shooting a .38, can I pick up a .45 rifle and run it the same way? Or does it feel so different that I will need to re-learn target acquisition and shot timing?

Hey there Ripsaw,

I'll have 2 .45s and plenty of ammo at the match next weekend and you're welcome to try 'em out after we finish the stages on Saturday.

Hey there Ripsaw,

I'll have 2 .45s and plenty of ammo at the match next weekend and you're welcome to try 'em out after we finish the stages on Saturday.

Thanks, Cody. Would appreciate the opportunity to do that.

Hey Ripsaw, pick the gun you think you could beat me the easiest with. :blink::D

More than a nice rifle it will take, master Obi-Wan. :)

Howdy Ripsaw, FWIW most of us that shoot 44/40 rifles do not have any pistols in that caliber...we choose the 44/40 rifle cause it's the best tool for the trade. No big deal reloading a couple of different calibers. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Archived