SASS Wire Forum

US Model 1855 pistol carbine

So I saw this interesting image for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Unidentified-soldier-cavalry-percussion-attached/dp/B0176FU5GU/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1478186807&sr=8-54&keywords=percussion+caps

The closer I looked, the less real it appeared. And that crazy gun - a percussion pistol carbine? I never saw such a thing!

But, then:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/history-books/troopers-twofer-the-u-s-model-1855-pistol-carbine/

So much for skepticism. But I still expect it's merely a photocopy, and not the original image.

LL

I saw one of these on display at a gun show about 15 years ago in SoCal. I asked the guy that was displaying it what it was and he told me but I have long since forgotten. I asked him "Why would someone think this is a good idea?" and he told me that the butt stock was to help aim and fire from horseback.

I saw one of these on display at a gun show about 15 years ago in SoCal. I asked the guy that was displaying it what it was and he told me but I have long since forgotten. I asked him "Why would someone think this is a good idea?" and he told me that the butt stock was to help aim and fire from horseback.

Actually it was to use it as a "carbine" mounted or dismounted and as a pistol while mounted.

Howdy,

Until revolvers, shooting from horseback had to be a challenge.

A bunch of 45 colts would change things fast.

A guy on a horse, too easy a target.

Best

CR

These were pretty common with US cavalry early in the War Between the States. They matched pretty poorly to the SxS coachguns preferred by the CSA cavalry. After the US Army was doen with them, many went to the US Navy.

It had to be better than a club or knife.

Archived