SASS Wire Forum

why a 1911 in 9mm

Trigger Mike

When was the last time you saw .38 Super ammo? ^_^

Also-Some countries don't allow the .45acp round but the 9mm is OK-Ya, kinda nutz. :wacko:

OLG

Not too many good Colt .38Super 1911's out there. Coincidentally, I do know where there's a new one in the box, but aside from that, yeah, commercial ammo is rare. Reloading would be a must.

Some countries do prohibit .45ACP weapons (Mexico is one), because (my understanding, anyway) they're actually prohibiting military-caliber weapons for civilian use. Not our problem here in the US.

Not too many good Colt .38Super 1911's out there. Coincidentally, I do know where there's a new one in the box, but aside from that, yeah, commercial ammo is rare. Reloading would be a must.

Some countries do prohibit .45ACP weapons (Mexico is one), because (my understanding, anyway) they're actually prohibiting military-caliber weapons for civilian use. Not our problem here in the US.

Correct.Of course most militaries use the 9mm now ao a prohibitiopn on 45 as a military round is pretty dumb. :D

When did the Super 38 become the 38 Super?

http://38super.net/Pages/History.html

Personally, I love my SA 1911A1 in .45ACP.

I had (one daughter now has) SA XDm in 9mm. 19 round mags (5 of them). Great pistol, will likely get another as replacement.

after the replies i got to thinking about their Sentinel 9mm, so i emailed them to ask the size in comparison to say a Sig 938 or Glock 19. they replied it is like the Sig 938. lets see, 7-800 for a sig or 3600 for the same size wilson. decided Sig is the way to go

after the replies i got to thinking about their Sentinel 9mm, so i emailed them to ask the size in comparison to say a Sig 938 or Glock 19. they replied it is like the Sig 938. lets see, 7-800 for a sig or 3600 for the same size wilson. decided Sig is the way to go

The P938 is a great little pistol. Very easily concealed. Very easy to shoot.

My Wife has decided that her next gun is going to be a Kimber Sapphire in 9 mm. Other than not being a fan of the fancy colors, I can't say I'm totally unimpressed with her choice. She's got some saving to do though :D

While I would personally choose a standard GI version in 45, the cheaper 9 mm would be somewhat appealing.

Never liked it, was bulky, yuk. I had to fire it one day in her back yard,her dads, sergeant, Alabama HP. Was used to revolvers,uncles all carried them but used

semi auto in 9mm, was in 40,s. Shot well I remember.

Some years ago a cowboy shooter friend brought a 1911 delta elite chromed govt to a match, AHHHHHHHH IT WAS BEAUTIFUL said, whats wrong with it,

too late he saw the light in my eyes. GO AHEAD, pick it up as he shoved a full mag in. I remembered the slide safety, picked out a piece of paper on the

berm, flipped, it pointed as it fired and fired fired. He hit me to stop me, OH LORD HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS. He said it came from the factory

like this, too much for me, Wanted a 45. He fired 10 rounds, showed me bill of sale, 3 days old. Box of ammo he bought. A few others came over knowing it was hot.

Came home with me, my kids couldn't wait to fire it.

If Colt really makes 38 Super well I havta have one for my old age.

Very good choice!!

Well, guess what a guy brought into the store to sell today? A new production Colt 1911 in 9mm in like new condition. He said he got it new and hasn't fired it. Usually, when someone says "never fired," I can tell immediately that it has been. This one does not appear to have been. It is in excellent condition. I did my best offer for him, giving more than management would typically like, but what I thought was very fair.

I then immediately put a "hold" sign on it before putting it in the vault. Now to figure out how to afford it.

I had a 1911 custom built on a Caspian frame and slide in 9 mm. Why? I was heavy into IDPA shooting at the time, and built it around the rulebook for ESP class. I have almost $4000 into the gun, and I don't shoot IDPA anymore. But it's still an awesome gun :)

I was in the Army for quite awhile back in the 60s and early 70s including a long visit to Disneyland Far East (Vietnam). I came to love the 1911 45acp, and it came to be my main pistol for the next 50 years. I bought a Kimber 1911 .45acp a couple years ago and I love it. But for concealed carry a 1911 is both heavy and bulky, even the lightweight models like the Kimber. About 6 months ago I noticed Kimber came out with a 1911 in 9mm. Looked one over at the local gunshop and took it home with me. It is much lighter than the 45acp, but is stiill a 1911 and I'm familiar with how 1911s feel and work. Now its my carry gun. (Still have the 45acp and still would prefer to carry it.) I do not recommend a 1911 style for new shooters, but its what I like.

I bought a colt competition 1911 in 9mm a few months ago. Being mostly a range gun, I carry a springfield sub compact 9, I wanted something that was cheaper to shoot and had a less recoil due to the arthritis in my wrist. I have another 1911, a colt 1991A1 in 45acp and I also shoot a S&W 625 in 45acp. The switch to 9mm meant that after range day I did not have to deal with a day or two of wrist pain. Also it is cheaper to buy 9mm in bulk that to reload it at this point in time so no need to spend hours on the reloading machine, which also aggravates my wrist and shoulder.

Drooling

A while back I bought a Colt Gov't model in .38 Super, and proceeded to modify it to play in IPSC.

I did all the standard things short of adding a compensator, and while I found it an interesting caliber,

it was very tedious to reload for and to try and make it perform.

I'm finding the 1911 in full size, shooting 9mm of any bullet weight, is a dream gun.

Utah Bob - if you've not shot one you should give it a try - it might just pass as a fun gun, even if it lacks the

cachet of the mexican style .38 supers with eagle grips!

Regards,

SC

I've carried my Colt Combat Commander (All steel as opposed to the lightweight Commander) in .45 ACP for the last 15 or so years and absolutely love that gun!! I have a .22 conversion for it also That is a fun day of plinking.Its not a fancy gun, all matte blue, standard hammer, trigger and all I did was replace the thumb safety for one that was a little easer to operate. If my arthritis gets too bad in my hands I may switch to a Combat commander in 9mm.

I have a nice Colt 45 1911, and a Sig Compact 1911, also in 45 ACP. My fun and cheap to shoot 1911 full size is a Sig in .22 RF

I have four mags and each holds 10 rounds , very accurate pistol and never has failed to feed and fire.

Cheers, Hoss C.

Archived