SASS Wire Forum

why a 1911 in 9mm

Trigger Mike

I'm still obsessed with my plan to get a Wilson 1911. I notice they offer a lot of 9mm and I've seen others on here sell their 1911 in 9mm. it seems to me that a Sig 938 in 9mm which is just like a 1911 only smaller or even other brands of 9mm that are cheaper would be the way to go. what is the advantage of a 1911 in 9mm?

If you are used to a 1911 in 45,getting one in 9 or 40 or 10, or heck, 22, means you don't have to learn how a new gun works.

Getting a Beretta or a Walther or a Glock means retraining your hands.

A 9mm 1911 is a fun shooter. You need anything more? :D

Cheaper to play with a 9mm 1911. Less recoil for sensitive or new shooters, extra round in mag, you can use one in Zoot Shootin', and it's a 1911. Colt makes a fine 1911 9mm if you don't mind the series 80 they offer.

Get two of 'em and wear 'em in a double shoulder rig and you can be just like Bruce Willis in the movie Last Man Standing. B)

I have seen a couple ladies really take to a 1911 in 9mm and love it whereas the 45 acp was a bit much fer their liking.

Howdy,

I know one thing, Im tired of folks askin if my 9mm 1911 is for sale.

Seems like everybody who tries it has that question.....

Maybe I should start sellin em?

Best

CR

Zoot Shootin'...I would love to try that.

I plan to. I wish more folks would as it looks awesome. Be nice to see more clubs around the country doing it.

A 1911 in 9mm works for that.

A 1911 in 9mm works for a lot of things in fact. It sure don't replace the venerable 45 acp but it certainly does a great job at being what it is. A proven design, a versatile caliber, a user friendly caliber, and just classy. If'n ya cain't not git yer head around the idee of a 9mm 1911 then go git one in 38 Super. Its even more fun.

Zoot Shootin'...I would love to try that.

Zoot is a lot of fun.. Very similar to our game, just with a different set of guns. There are some other subtle differences, but absolutely worth checking out if you have a club that does it near you.

Nothing quite like going to town with a Thompson, or a Russian burp gun, or a Broonhandle with the shoulderstock or...

Well, you get the idea. :)

When was the last time you saw .38 Super ammo? ^_^

Also-Some countries don't allow the .45acp round but the 9mm is OK-Ya, kinda nutz. :wacko:

OLG

I see .38 Super ammo all the time. Now .38 ACP on the other hand, that's rarer than hens teeth. Yes, you can use the super brass to reload it, but I like the "real" stuff.

Kinda like I want some .38-200 marked brass for a couple of my revolvers. :)

If you like 1911s and you like 9mm Put your hands on a Springfield Armory "Range Officer" Compact in 9mm. I gave up on 1911s a few years ago but when I held one of these I got the urge to buy one.

When was the last time you saw .38 Super ammo?

OLG

Today at Cabelas. Last week at Gander. All the time online. It is out there.

I'm not a 1911 guy; I thought the Browning Hi-Power was supposed to be the "9 MM 1911" !!

:ph34r::blink:

[ posted in ignorance, with no malice, seeking enlightenment...]

I would love a 1911 in 9mm. Almost as much as I would love another Hi-Power. Why have one? All the reasons listed above. Just another tool in the box.

I'm still obsessed with my plan to get a Wilson 1911. I notice they offer a lot of 9mm and I've seen others on here sell their 1911 in 9mm. it seems to me that a Sig 938 in 9mm which is just like a 1911 only smaller or even other brands of 9mm that are cheaper would be the way to go. what is the advantage of a 1911 in 9mm?

Hi Trigger Mike,

I just purchased a new Colt 1911 in 9mm, and after a few mod's I'm sold on it.

I replaced the stock sights with 10-8 National Match fixed sights, replaced the thumb safety with a Wilson unit,

put a match bushing in, did a trigger job on it, and bought some 10 round magazines for it.

The heavy gun shooting a lighter caliber makes long days at the range easier, and it likes every loading from

115 to 147 gr. The 147 make minor out of the box, and the 115's are good for steel matches.

I have a 1911 in .45 I'm selling, and I have a high power as well, it's also going to get sold.

A lot of the big kids are figuring out the reason for the 9mm in the 1911 - here's a quote on it from Bill Wilson -

In the first issue of sister publication Ballistic, the staff did a survey of 19 well-known firearms experts,

myself included, asking what our preferred self-defense caliber was. The results were overwhelmingly in

favor of 9mm. Top trainers like B.J. Norris, Bill Rogers, David Bahde, Ernest Langdon, Frank Proctor,

Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Mike Seeklander, Paul Buffoni, Paul Howe, Paul Markel and

Super Dave Harrington all have gravitated to 9mm as their preferred caliber.

The fact that old die-hard .45 ACP guys like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers have gravitated to

the 9mm tells us a lot.

My 1911:

:sG07jLKh.jpg

If'n ya cain't not git yer head around the idee of a 9mm 1911 then go git one in 38 Super. Its even more fun.

I don't know why, but a 38 Super in 1911 is one itch that might get scratched. It's just always had an appeal to me.

Ditto. I want a nickle plated one with Mexican grips!!

First off citing gun "experts" is a waste. they are gun whores who make their living off of selling product / services.

Trainers have gone 9mm as most folks attending classes can't afford 500 and above round counts, in 45 acp

secondly most folks attending classes are bringing polymer striker guns , not 1911's! Trainers carry what is

popular with their students.

They cite new bullet technology again , really!? What's been new in bullet technology over the last 10 years or so?

Most of the game guys are shooting some sort of 2011's and not 1911's it's a whole nother beast.

1911's in 9mm can be spotty, look at the mags they either have a spacer in the rear or the front of the mag now becomes part of the feeding process,

the nose of the bullet bounces up and off the front of the mag. Drop a partially loaded mag and a bullet will usually pop out as they tend to strip

early from the magazine.

I'm an old fart, dyed in the wool 1911 fan boy, multiple gunsite alumni, launched over half a million rds thru 1911's and 2011's that said

1911 9mm's are fun guns but should be relegated to non life threatening uses! You want to carry a 9mm get a Glock19, none better for that usage!

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I bought my 1911 in 9mm I had some very concrete reasons for it.

Namely that it was a Colt Series 70 Combat Commander and the guy only wanted $400 for it.

I've got a Barsto .38Super barrel that I'm eventually going to have installed in it- if I don't gift the gun to my youngest niece when she turns 21.

I'm not a 1911 guy; I thought the Browning Hi-Power was supposed to be the "9 MM 1911" !!

:ph34r::blink:

[ posted in ignorance, with no malice, seeking enlightenment...]

I thought the Hi-Power was supposed to be an improved 1911 design in 9mm.

(ditto the no malice thing you said. Maybe just a hint of friendly heckling.)

FWIW, I have a Hi-Power and love it. I would really like to have a 1911 in .45 but can't afford/justify the expense for one.

Angus

Good question. Sounds kinda like a bolt action .30/30.

JHC

Grandpa had a bolt 30/30 Savage, great truck gun. Then Dad had it. Then I had it but dummy me let it get away. Someday hope to have another. It rode around the world several times laying in the floorboard of old Ford pickemups in front of the seat over the hump. Accounted for umpteen coyotes etc. Sights were bulletproof and I should have my butt kicked for trading it off. So old it did not have a serial number but sure nuff one great ole gun.

I need a 9mm 1911 for practice as I have about 8 45s but I also have tons of tons more 9 than 45 as I also shoot CAS at this one place with a pair of Blackhawk 9s. I'm thinking a lw commander Ruger with me LC9s for back up and LCR9 in its usual ankle holster tertiary role.

Bob Lee Swagger, the fictional lead character in Stephen Hunter's books, prefers a 1911 in 38 Super. Maybe that's where the itch started.

Nah. Started long before... :lol:

Some men ask, "Why a 1911 in 9mm?"

I ask, "Why not?"

:D

I thought the Hi-Power was supposed to be an improved 1911 design in 9mm.

(ditto the no malice thing you said. Maybe just a hint of friendly heckling.)

FWIW, I have a Hi-Power and love it. I would really like to have a 1911 in .45 but can't afford/justify the expense for one.

Angus

The Browning HI-Power is a very nice pistol, the first of the wundernines, it having a double stack magazine.

It's a slim pistol, well balanced and very comfortable to carry all day, along with a spare magazine.

I've owned several and the one I have right now has been worked over by Cylinder and Slide to be a fine shooting

pistol, with a great trigger.

The trigger in the Hi-Power suffers from a design 'flaw', if you will. The trigger pivots to push a rod straight up. This rod

in turn pivots around a pin in the slide to push the sear down, releasing the hammer. You have in effect two right angle turns

to accomplish. In addition, the magazine disconnect is activated by a spring loaded plunger in the trigger which slides along

the magazine body as you press the trigger. All this pivoting and rubbing contribute to a heavy and uncomfortable trigger pull.

All this can be fixed, and C&S does a great job doing it - I can attest. Mine breaks at about 4.5 lb, no drag or sticking, just

snap, and the gun shoots!

The big attraction of the 1911 in 9mm is a heavy gun shooting a light bullet, and having a 1911 trigger makes for a package that

many folks find quite attractive. Now that magazine issues are pretty much a historical problem, and that 9mm is proving effective,

the only reason to argue against it is if your mind is stuck in the past. You might not advocate for it if you prefer the .45,

but you have to be ignoring all that has happened in the real world the last 20 years to argue against it.

The FBI has been paying attention, they're going back to the Speer 147 loading, and I think I would find it easy to state that

their judgment is as sound as anyone else on this topic.

My bottom line is that I have a Colt 9mm pistol, a design and a maker I prefer over all others, and it shoots a caliber that is fun to shoot,

and is effective if I chose to use it as a game gun, or a personal protection gun.

YMMV,

Shadow Catcher

Archived