SASS Wire Forum

Self Defense Insurance?

Marauder SASS #13056

What are your thoughts about Self-Defense insurance?

What are some options?

I heard a little about CCW Safe and USCCA, but am not sure what all is available and which would be better for me.

(I hope this is not too far off topic.. )

We use SecondCall Defense.

Having carried for about 40 yrs. I've always been aware that Right or Wrong, if you use your gun you WILL have problems, but I have always been too cheap to pay for the service. The way things have been going the past few years it seems that if you use a gun to protect yourself the family of the Perp will find some Judge that will side with them against you. It will take everything that you have, and more to defend yourself. Just knowing what to do and what not to do after an incident, and then getting Bail and a Lawyer right away will be enough to throw you into a nightmare. At such times it is easy to do or say the wrong thing, so I decided that it was time for us to have immediate professional help on call if something were to happen. Just one call, 24/7 gets things moving right away, with local Council dispatched asap.

Snakebite

It is so much easier and cheaper to just be a victim....

That said, CCW SAFE is an option.

I'm a paying customer to USCCA. They have different levels of coverage all of which are affordable by most as they can be purchased via monthly or a yearly premium. The initial packet they send you gives you plenty of information as to what to say and what not to say from a legal standpoint. They have a network of approved lawyers in almost every state. You can use one of them or your own personal selection and they will still provide the same amount of coverage that your plan covers. They also give you some reading material on what to expect if you ever fire your gun in self defense.

You don't get hounded with all kinds of spam emails (I get maybe 1 or 2 a month) and you get a subscription to CC magazine as part of your package. I was in the same boat where I never even thought about it. But like you said with the way things are, you could be more likely to find an anti 2A judge and get a raw deal. In that circumstance, you would be glad you had coverage.

One thing I will add (I don't know if it has changed recently) is that the NRA insurance gives you the money AFTER you are acquitted. USCCA provides funds for a retainer and bail bond immediately if you have been taken into custody.

I would compare services vs cost what may seem like a good premium may not have enough services to cover you in both a criminal and civil trial.

get a million dollar personal liability rider to your homeowners which is usually 300K, that gives you 1.3 million in coverage. the rider costs about $85 a year.

Your insurance company will furnish legal representation as they won't want to pay out 1.3 or more.

If you are involved in a shooting, they may try you for a crime. I don't think the general umbrella policy will always defend you in such a case.

And remember that the insurance companies are usually defending themselves (there $$) more than defending you. So they are often eager to do a trade - a trade that may put you in jail.

If you are involved in a shooting, they may try you for a crime. I don't think the general umbrella policy will always defend you in such a case.

And remember that the insurance companies are usually defending themselves (there $$) more than defending you. So they are often eager to do a trade - a trade that may put you in jail.

Thats what I was kinda thinking .

I would rather buy my own Self Defense insurance.

Then count on my home owners policy

to defened my freedom.

Remberer the lawyer works for the person paying themnot the one. They are not representing your interests unless they align with the payer.

Remember the lawyer works for the person paying them not the one. They are not representing your interests unless they align with the payer.

Which is one reason I chose USCCA. There are now 3 in my state, 1 of which is from a neighboring town. I don't think you can access who specifically is a USCCA lawyer in your state without being a member. But I think you can see if they have any in your state.

Archived