SASS Wire Forum

22 Rifle

Hoss

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also without a cowboy 22. Mostly because I just like really loud guns. I do have an single shot bolt action and a Marlin model 60 for plinking. But If I wanted a sode match 22 I think I would go with the Golden Boy. I have shot a few and prefer them to the pumps.

lots of advice.....I may have to get more than 1!

I've kind of narrowed it down to a Henry. Now have to decide if I want the pump or the lever. The Henry pump with the octagonal barrel is pretty sweet. decisions decision! Gun show in a couple of weeks, will be poking around there.

Howdy,

Any advantage to how many fit in the tube?

Might consider that if competition is in the picture.

Henry is nice, browning is nice too.

Very different action and feel. No BAD choices here either.

Or just git em both.....;)

Best

CR

I have two Henry .22 lever actions that have had the soft stroke work done to them. I might send one back and have it removed. The oldest boy is just getting to fast with it ;) Fun guns to shoot.

+ love mine though it has a short stroke, not a soft stroke.

Don't rule out the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto.

Especialy if your want to add some glass.

OLG

got a couple of those too.

+ love mine though it has a short stroke, not a soft stroke.

Howdy Capt Bill.

The 'Soft Stroke' also encompasses a short stroke buffer, which reduces the lever arc approx 1.3"

..........Widder

THE classic 22 lever action is the Marlin 39A. None finer ever built.

Best regards,

Just the Winchester 9422XTR !

IMHO.

Hoss...Hoss.....Hoss...you don't have a .....WHAT...LOL....LOL....falling on the ground....LOL.....Jim

Hoss...Hoss.....Hoss...you don't have a .....WHAT...LOL....LOL....falling on the ground....LOL.....Jim

Here I fessed up, figuring my pards would prop me up. But nooooo, you laugh at me! HA!

I love my Rugers 10-22 take down tactical lite except wish I could have gotten it in red to match my 22/45 NRA lite pistol. My hunter silencer make them all a dream to shoot going to be getting the 22-.30 caliber one as soon as I know she isn't going to be residing at 1600 Pennsylvania then get a 44/45 later

Hoss of course we will prop you up ole pal....just finished paneling the den walls with .22 rifles...got at least one box of leftover rifles...come take one or two....you know I would never let you down...Jim

Hoss of course we will prop you up ole pal....just finished paneling the den walls with .22 rifles...got at least one box of leftover rifles...come take one or two....you know I would never let you down...Jim

on my way!

Hoss Pard I will try to prop you up :-)

I have faith in you brother.

Its a good start by comming out of the closest .

We all love .22s,

Its a beginners first gun ,

Its a teens first love .

Its a Mans love of his past .

Its a Grandpas plinker and,

Its a start for his Grandchildren .

So I have faith in you to have more then one .22

Before the Election !

( You might not have the right to buy one after November 8th )

Hoss Pard I will try to prop you up :-)

I have faith in you brother.

Its a good start by comming out of the closest .

We all love .22s,

Its a beginners first gun ,

Its a teens first love .

Its a Mans love of his past .

Its a Grandpas plinker and,

Its a start for his Grandchildren .

So I have faith in you to have more then one .22

Before the Election !

( You might not have the right to buy one after November 8th )

to clarify, my first gun was a 22 singles shot. a Savage I think. Bolt action, had a little plunger looking gizmo to pull back for a hammer. It actually belonged to my brother, he gave it to me when he went into the service in 1966. I shot a lot of 22 shorts in it. I don't think I ever paid more than .50cents/box of 50! shot many an armadillo with it. Found out if you don't hit an armadillo square with a 22 short it will ricochet off! I gave it back to my brother when I went to college in 1976. I'm guessing he still has it.

I will be adding to my arsenal soon!

Not to hijack the op thread but what price are the blue plain Henry's and the golden boy going for? I'm in sc and checked at the Gander man. Store they wanted ~$350 for the blue and $500 plus for the golden boy, is that about right?

Blackey,

the 'round' barreled blue model Henrys are some of their least expensive models.

Barrel is approx 20" and should cost around $300

The YOUTH models have shorter barrels around 16.25" and usually cost less than $300

The FRONTIER model is a blue 20" OCTAGON barrel model and I think cost around $350-380.

NOTE: when I use the term 'blue', it actually looks black to me, atleast the receiver area.

When you get into the Golden Boy models, the receivers are brass (or atleast brass coated or something like that). They are more expensive.

I have opened up all these type models and the internals are the same.

Some of them have beautiful wood, even the least expensive models. I recently worked on the .22 for Billy The Avenger and although it was the Frontier model, the stock was nothing short of BEAUTIFUL. Really nice.

I own a Winchester 9422 XTR and it is beautiful and smooth. But based on the 'soft stroke' modification now available for the Henry, the 9422 is no longer my favorite .22 lever rifle.

Hope this info helps.

..........Widder

Blackey,

the 'round' barreled blue model Henrys are some of their least expensive models.

Barrel is approx 20" and should cost around $300

The YOUTH models have shorter barrels around 16.25" and usually cost less than $300

The FRONTIER model is a blue 20" OCTAGON barrel model and I think cost around $350-380.

NOTE: when I use the term 'blue', it actually looks black to me, atleast the receiver area.

When you get into the Golden Boy models, the receivers are brass (or atleast brass coated or something like that). They are more expensive.

I have opened up all these type models and the internals are the same.

Some of them have beautiful wood, even the least expensive models. I recently worked on the .22 for Billy The Avenger and although it was the Frontier model, the stock was nothing short of BEAUTIFUL. Really nice.

I own a Winchester 9422 XTR and it is beautiful and smooth. But based on the 'soft stroke' modification now available for the Henry, the 9422 is no longer my favorite .22 lever rifle.

Hope this info helps.

..........Widder

The Winchester 9422 XTR

Will still be going strong when that cast pock metal Henry is wore out .

Dont get me wrong I have three Henrys .

But they are not even close in quality as a Winchester .

Just saying .

Howdy Rooster.

Yep, no doubt the 9422 is in a class by itself.

But I must admit I have now put over 2500 rounds thru my Henry (soft stroke) this summer with no signs of wear at this time.

I wish I could figure out a way to 'short stroke & soft stroke' my 9422 XTR but right now, I'm having to leave it stock, other than smoothing up some rough spots. It was purchased new in 1993, for my daughters 'Birth' present. Its actually hers and she grew up shooting it.

I do believe the 9422 is probably the finest .22 ever made, especially compared to lever actions. I've owned a few since the early 70's when I bought my first one. And I've owned them in both the .22 and .22 Mag calibers.

I once owned a Marlin 39 Mountie that I could kick meownself in the butt for selling. It is another classic that has traveled down the trail into history.

Have a good day.

..........Widder

Howdy Again

While you guys are arguing about which 22 is more durable, that Winchester Model 1890 of mine was made in 1908. The most common chambering for that model was 22 Short because these guns were very popular in shooting galleries. That one has probably had a bazillion rounds fired through it in shooting galleries since the last time the Cubbies won the World Series. It still functions fine, even though it is no longer a tack river.

My Dad's Model '06, which his Dad bought around 1931 is still a tack driver. Of course it has not had a bazillion rounds through it, just tens of thousands.

Frankly, if I were looking for a fun 22 rifle, and I could not find an old Winchester, I would probably look for a Rossi Model 62. It is a copy of the Winchester Model 62, which is an updated version of the Winchester Model 1890. I handled one a few years ago, and although the fit and finish was not as good as a Winchester, it appeared to be a very solid gun and I'll bet one would last a long time. The Rossi Model 62 is no longer in production, but you can find them on the gun auction sites.

You are right there Driftwood .

I have a Rossi 62 22.

Excellent pump rifle .

Honestly probably a better rifle then Winchester made.

I have put thousands of rounds threw mine and No sighns of wear on it.

Honestly probably a better rifle then Winchester made.

Thanks for agreeing with me, but the Rossi I inspected was rough as a cob compared to my Winchesters.

My Rossi 62 pump was imported by Garcia, Washington, DC in the late 50's or early 60's. I bought it from a Rossi collector a while back. The mag tube is now purple. It works great. I'm keeping it as my last .22 as I'm selling extra guns and am down to it and a Marlin 39A made in 1941 (B prefix). I need to start posting some of my safe queen critters. Growing old sucks.

I've narrowed my possibilities some. If new Henry Tradition or Henry pump. If used, who knows! Going to haunt a few gun shows. Or maybe a Pard on here has too many 22s and wants to get rid of a safe queen????

I bought 500 rounds if 22LR today. Don't even have a gun to shoot it out if....yet.....

$40 for 500 rounds. Last time I bought 22 they were .50 per box of 50.

Ouch, I remember that costing $10, guess it has been a while.

......$40 for 500 rounds. Last time I bought 22 they were .50 per box of 50.......

Now that you have ammo....You have no choice but to get a rifle to go with it. :D

I bought 500 rounds if 22LR today. Don't even have a gun to shoot it out if....yet.....

$40 for 500 rounds. Last time I bought 22 they were .50 per box of 50.

Hay Pard you better get one soon.

Before you cant buy one if she does make it by some fluke :-)

Mission accomplished!

Went to San Antonio for a match today. After the match went to a gun show. Picked up a Henry Golden Boy. Also looked at a Henry pump, but just did not like the looks of the metal on the reciever. I'm happy with the GB. Gonna break it in tomorrow after church!

Also saw a really nice original Colt Lightning in 22. Was really tight. I was really tempted.

Really? The Rossi 62 is a copy of the Winchester Model '06. I never had gas hitting me in the face when shooting my Dad's '06. Maybe I'm not fast enough. You can slam fire these rifles, but Dad's is a little bit old and I don't like to stress the old girl.

Here is a photo of my Dad shooting his '06 at Katahdin Lake in Maine in 1931. Dig those knickers!

shooting%20winchester%2006%20katahdin%20

Yeah slam firing for speed side matches

Archived