SASS Wire Forum

22 Rifle

Hoss

Ok, word has gotten out that I don't own a 22. My shooting pards are giving me grief about the hole in my arsenal. I guess I better step up and get one.

Trying to decide between a lever or a pump. I lean towards the pump because I've always liked the "gallery guns". I've shot a Rossi 62, and it was pretty slick. Also considering the Henry, gotta like the octagonal barrel, but I've never shot or handled one. If I go lever, is there any difference between the Henry Silver Boy, Golden Boy, and blue? What other lever guns in 22 are contenders.

I need advice. I'm tired of taking grief for not having a 22. Are there any other cowboy shooters who don't have one? Maybe we can form a support group!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Hoss.

That is pretty bad.

Can't believe you are admitting to that on a public forum.

Even I have one.

Of course, I got it for my grandson.

A Henry 22 lr lever action.

Better take care of that before Jim No Horse finds out about that.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

That can be a problem.....

CZ 452 has a reputation for superb accuracy. I don't have one yet, but it's on my list. I enjoy my Henry lever .22 but the drop at the comb is more than I really like.

Marlin 39A is a thing of beauty, little gun smithing makes it better. Bought it for grandson but use it to practice until he can shoot it, only 2 and 5 years old. But have too try a Henry if Widowmaker worked on it.

I guess I should have clarified. I want a 22 I can shoot in side matches, which means (I think???) that it has to be a lever or pump with a hammer.

Just my opinion, but the .22 Henry, set up right, can't be beat for smoothness and speed and reliability.

The Henry .22 feels good and is dependable from the factory, but the Widder Soft Stroke modifications make the .22 Henry a whole new beast. It also incorporates a short stroke buffer.

If you want to see one in action, check out the YouTube video by Missouri Lefty shooting a Widder Soft Stroke Henry.

There are about a dozen or so Cowboys who now own one.

p.s. - You'll be the Huckleberry..... and your friends will envy your .22

..........Widder

We still have my sons .22 youth model blue Henry....(not the golden boy). He started using it when he was 8. Very reliable little rifle...short stock makes it so easy to handle..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzf5KHqA3eT_cENpQl9oMkVObFk/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzf5KHqA3eT_RHI3THY3LXlGNkU/view?usp=drivesdk

The next time I go out and shoot

It will be with the Henry (WIDDER SOFT STROKE )

Thanks again Widder and Slater for his trigger job

Billy the Avenger

Nothing better than a Widder Soft Stroke Henry 22.

I loved plinking with a Henry 22, then I got the Widder soft stroke. 1,000 times more fun to shoot.

I ain't just givin a plug for a buddy....it really does enhance the shooting fun.

Howdy

You can never have too many 22 rifles.

At the top in this photo is a Winchester Model 1890, made in 1908, 22 Short only. The smaller rifle at the bottom is my Dad's Winchester Model '06, which his Dad bought for him in the 1930s. 22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle.

1890%20and%201906_zpsotjxgjck.jpg

Winchester Model 61, made in 1946. 22 Short, Long, Long Rifle.

Model61.jpg

Savage Sporter, 22 Long Rifle. No idea how old it is, but it was used when I bought it around 1970.

Savage%20Sporter_zpsakajw7un.jpg

Browning Semi-Auto 22. 22 Long Rifle. I wanted one of these back when I was a kid.

Browning%2022%20Semi%20Auto_zpskl4ehi7q.

Marlin Model 39A. 22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle.

Marlin%20Model%2039A_zpsv1jy5oe9.jpg

My latest 22 rifle, a Remington Model 341P Sportmaster. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. Made sometime 1936 - 1940. 22 Long Rifle. A real tack driver.

Model%20341P%2001_zpsuqrgoil3.jpg

And of course, the obligatory Ruger 10-22.

Ruger%2010-22_zpstawqgw9d.jpg

I can shoot the Winchester Model 1890, the '06, or the Marlin in side matches. But of course my favorite for side matches is my Dad's old Model '06.

I have a Winchester 9422 Love it .

I have three different Henry 22 Love them all.

I have a Rossi 62a Love it .

Hell I even have two Winchester 120s Love them too lol.

And I have a Ruger 1022 Got to love that one.

Then lets see I must have 6 or 7 22 pistols and love every one :-)

Pard I cant believe you dont have a 22 or 3 in your stable .

The Henry's are Nice shooters .

No complaints .

But they ant No Winchester or Marlin ether .

A 22 or 3 is a must I think .

It Nerver seems one 22 is enough though .

Howdy,

If you are going to shoot in some sort of competition, read the rules.

That said keep in mind some shoot only high speed, like the ruger 10/22.

Others shoot short long and long rifle, lever guns and most bolt action and pumps.

The little Henry 22 with the short barrel can be great for young or smaller folks.

Henry has a youth stock.

For pretty the Browning BL22 is hard to beat, a little more money.

Many folks buy a .22 with the same action as their favorite center fire.

That way muscle memory works for ya.

In other words, I have no idea how you can live with just one .22 rifle.

Best

CR

Or there is a ruger 96 so you could have both a 1022 and a lever rifle,,,,sorta.

I do have 44 cal guns. Would that count for 8 22s?

Driftwood, shooting the 06 must really be special to you.

I'm going to right this egregious wrong. Will be shopping. I do know when I get a pistol it will be a Ruger shopkeeper. Those are neat little revolvers!

This is true.

I have a Remington Fieldmaster and a Page Lewis Model B Sharpshooter.

I had a Ruger 10/22, but sold it because I burned too much ammo.

I also have a .22 revolver.

I wish I had My grandpa's Winchester 62, my uncle's Lever gun and Colt.

By your comp gun, then get it some friends. :)

....In other words, I have no idea how you can live with just one .22 rifle.

CR

Ya better start buying ammo quick because the Hillary freakout has already begun. This is not meant to hijack the thread with politics; merely pointing out that if you want some .22 ammo, you'd better get it NOW.

I'd go with the Henry. I've got a Rossi 62 and if you are firing it fast you get a lot of gas hitting your face. We bought a little youth 22 for when the kids Start shooting but i find its my go to varmint gun on the farm. Very fast handling.

Ok, word has gotten out that I don't own a 22. My shooting pards are giving me grief about the hole in my arsenal. I guess I better step up and get one.

Trying to decide between a lever or a pump. I lean towards the pump because I've always liked the "gallery guns". I've shot a Rossi 62, and it was pretty slick. Also considering the Henry, gotta like the octagonal barrel, but I've never shot or handled one. If I go lever, is there any difference between the Henry Silver Boy, Golden Boy, and blue? What other lever guns in 22 are contenders.

I need advice. I'm tired of taking grief for not having a 22. Are there any other cowboy shooters who don't have one? Maybe we can form a support group!

My go-to fun gun in .22 is my Winchester 9422.

It's amazingly accurate, and I wouldn't part with it for love or money!

A good .22 lever gun is just pure fun, and great for rabbits or squirrels out to 50 yds or so.

I also have a CZ455, Varmint barrelled bolt rifle! It is a tack driver, and with a 4-14 scope on it is deadly out to 100 yds.

It is a change barrel rifle, two screws allow you to swap for .22, .22 WMR, or .17HMR. You can also buy the barrels

pre-threaded if you plan to put a suppressor on it.

I'd go with the lever gun first, and add a bolt gun for more serious playing later . . . .

Shadow Catcher

I tried a navy arms 66 it kept breaking every time I tried to go fast with it. Finally I gave it to my dad to go with his 38 66. I love my 10/22s and my s&w ar15-22 but I need a cas 22 it's going to be a cheap Henry and sent to mr. Hill.

I've got a Rossi 62 and if you are firing it fast you get a lot of gas hitting your face.

Really? The Rossi 62 is a copy of the Winchester Model '06. I never had gas hitting me in the face when shooting my Dad's '06. Maybe I'm not fast enough. You can slam fire these rifles, but Dad's is a little bit old and I don't like to stress the old girl.

Here is a photo of my Dad shooting his '06 at Katahdin Lake in Maine in 1931. Dig those knickers!

shooting%20winchester%2006%20katahdin%20

I have two Henry .22 lever actions that have had the soft stroke work done to them. I might send one back and have it removed. The oldest boy is just getting to fast with it ;) Fun guns to shoot.

:D

You might have to just put a little PNut Butter inside the action to help slow it down, especially when he's shooting against you... ;)

I'm glad those Soft Strokes are doing you well.

Thanks

..........Widder

Archived