SASS Wire Forum

Do you load .45 ?

Rube Burrows

On average, how many times are you getting to reuse your brass? Do you have a set amount of times you will reuse a piece of brass?

I have generally just been inspecting mine and throwing away any that look bad or that have split. I was just wondering what ya'll were doing?

I've been using about 500 for 4 years now and they are now starting to split at the mouth. Most were old when I bought them from Pards at my local matches. I shoot about a dozen matches per season and am now using new Starline in the rifle as a split there can BE a problem. FWW

That's what I do with pistol brass of any caliber. When I start to see cracks and splits, I will anneal the brass and start over. I've had some I've annealed a couple of times.

Besides the cost savings by annealing the brass, some calibers are sometimes difficult to find.

But 38, 357 and 45ACP are not as expensive when bought used so I'm not likely to go to the trouble.

I've been using about 500 for 4 years now and they are now starting to split at the mouth. Most were old when I bought them from Pards at my local matches. I shoot about a dozen matches per season and am now using new Starline in the rifle as a split there can BE a problem. FWW

Thanks for the response. I have had the same brass for a while now too and only cull the ones out that look bad or show actual splitting of the case. I was just curious as to how others are doing theirs.

I've basically used the same .45 Colt cases for years. Mostly brass, but a smattering of nickel plated too. Although I shoot much less now, they've seen considerable use in the past. I could probably count the number of split cases on one hand. But then I shoot black powder exclusively in this caliber, so the pressure may be much lower than smokeless.

More to the point, I reload several calibers and simply examine the empties before processing. Any splits are discarded.

I've basically used the same .45 Colt cases for years. Mostly brass, but a smattering of nickel plated too. Although I shoot much less now, they've seen considerable use in the past. I could probably count the number of split cases on one hand. But then I shoot black powder exclusively in this caliber, so the pressure may be much lower than smokeless.

More to the point, I reload several calibers and simply examine the empties before processing. Any splits are discarded.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I was good like I have been doing but was just curious as to how others were doing it also. I have started to rotate in some starline brass in the mix.

I clean them thoroughly, sort brands and inspect before I sit down to reload. I have a lot of Starline in 38, 357 and 45.I like it real well. I also have a supply of old 357 Nickle Federal which started out as factory HP loads, have been reloaded 20+ times and still seldom split, as compared to some more popular brands which are known to split at 2-3 reloads. Have never found a source for Federal brass except as Factory ammo.

my .$02

Imis

I'm still using some .45 Colts I got back in the 1970s. I figure about 20 reloads on average.

I have started using the Redding 2-ring carbide sizer die and it seems to significantly reduce the split rate. This die sizes the mouth tight and the rest of the case "big" so that the case doesn't have to balloon way out to the huge chamber of a 45 Colt every time the round is fired.

But, since a .45 Colt almost always splits length wise and the chamber is so huge, folks normally don't have a split case that sticks tight and the extractor won't pull it. A common problem using many-fired cases in .38 rifles, but a split caes I don't even feel as tight in a .45 Colt rifle (maybe the big chamber can't hold the case tight).

Good luck, GJ

I'm still using some .45 Colts I got back in the 1970s. I figure about 20 reloads on average.

I have started using the Redding 2-ring carbide sizer die and it seems to significantly reduce the split rate. This die sizes the mouth tight and the rest of the case "big" so that the case doesn't have to balloon way out to the huge chamber of a 45 Colt every time the round is fired.

But, since a .45 Colt almost always splits length wise and the chamber is so huge, folks normally don't have a split case that sticks tight and the extractor won't pull it. A common problem using many-fired cases in .38 rifles, but a split caes I don't even feel as tight in a .45 Colt rifle (maybe the big chamber can't hold the case tight).

Good luck, GJ

Good luck, GJ

I only started using 45 Colt in a rifle in 1987... and have been adding to and losing an original supply of 500 ever since. I now have a few thousand rounds that get rotated, on a very irregular basis. Some of it is lost at the range, a few lost thru longitudinal splits. Due in most part to the generous chambers in the rifle. I bought a 45 Colt SAA in the 70s, and had never suffered a split until I got a rifle. For my cowboy reloads I don't keep track of how often it's been reloaded...

I just reloaded the brass from the last two 2 day matches I shot, and found one split in just about 200 rounds. This was a combination of both smokeless and BP rounds. I found 2 rounds with headstamps I've never heard of: "BHA". Black Hills Ammunition, which I know I've never bought! Also found I'd been give a couple of 44-40s, a 44Mag and .44Spl...

I found 2 rounds with headstamps I've never heard of: "BHA". Black Hills Ammunition, which I know I've never bought!

Black Hills sells a fair amount of loaded ammo, and their cases are usually the "forensic proof" fired case included with all purchased Ruger centerfire single actions (at least). It's good ammo.

Good luck, GJ

I have some WW brass that I've been loading since the 70s. I prefer Starline these days, but they could easily have been loaded 25 times or more.

CR

All brass .

I run them till they split .

If you can cut them down then do so.

I have been running the same 500 44 specials for about 6 years now.

When I split one I cut it to 44 Russian if I can and replace it with a new one.

I have maybe replaced 15 or so in 6 years :-)

On average, how many times are you getting to reuse your brass? Do you have a set amount of times you will reuse a piece of brass?

I have generally just been inspecting mine and throwing away any that look bad or that have split. I was just wondering what ya'll were doing?

250 grain bullet on top of 1 grain below max of Titegroup. 16 years at 8 to 12 matches a year. From 1,500 pieces of Starline brass I'm down to about 500 pieces of brass.

Slight split I'd reload. Until too many split full length in the rifle, failed to extract and causing misses for the unfired rounds. After drying from tumbling, all splits are now tossed in the "to the junk yard" pile.

I load only smokeless and have some cases that have been reloaded 15 to 20 times. I also have, believe it or not, a number of 45 acp cases that date, 1914 through 1918, that I got in a trade over 30 years ago, I have loaded them uncountable times, and they are still good. I load a light load of Bullseye in them. So I would say, with light loads most .45 caliber cases, whether 45 Colt or 45 acp can be loaded numerous times with no trouble.

My average is above the norm for split .45LC cases..long story short is I reckon I'm doing everything right but that must not be the case as I consistently have about 5% with enough split to not reload.

Schofield cases however are no problem.

My average is above the norm for split .45LC cases..long story short is I reckon I'm doing everything right but that must not be the case as I consistently have about 5% with enough split to not reload.

Schofield cases however are no problem.

I have quite a few now as well. I think it is my own fault as I believe I over crimped once a while back; As they all have a noticeable line/mark around the mouth and at least to my eyes look thinner at the mouth. As on a thread I posted- I'm going to try my hand at cutting them down to C45S cases and keep on loadin' 'em. If I'm successful, it will be pretty cool to me to say I made my own! If not-- just a little lost time!

Archived