SASS Wire Forum

Lady Smith questions and value

Trigger Mike

DO any of you have any experience with the Lady Smith 9 and 38 by S & W? How reliable and accurate? Do they make a difference for those that use them over other same caliber guns of similar size? What is a fair price for a used one?

Im looking for one for my daughters to use. my youngest is small with small hands and will likely remain so as she grows. thought it might be easier to teach her to shoot with one and be more comfortable for my older daughter as well.

DO any of you have any experience with the Lady Smith 9 and 38 by S & W? How reliable and accurate? Do they make a difference for those that use them over other same caliber guns of similar size? What is a fair price for a used one?

Im looking for one for my daughters to use. my youngest is small with small hands and will likely remain so as she grows. thought it might be easier to teach her to shoot with one and be more comfortable for my older daughter as well.

It's actually just a model 36 that says Lady Smith on it. There's quite a bit of recoil especially for a young'un! (.38, never shot a 9mm version) I've seen them go for anywhere from $300.00-$500.00 around here. They are reliable and as accurate as you can get with a snubbie.

My suggestion would be to take them to the range and let them try out different guns. They have to be able to handle them on their own. Once you know what they can handle and are willing to work with you will have a better idea of what to purchase.

I got both my wife and daughter S&W Mod 60 with 3 inch barrels. They both love them. They love to shoot my cowboy loads, but when walking around Alaska, it's full .357s

A Smith and Wesson Model 642 "Lady Smith" in 38 Special is a very popular revolver for ladies. Most of the gun auction sites have new 642's running around $400.00. Reliable, simple to use, safe. The 642 is on the small J frame.

For young ladies that are still growing, I'd suggest getting a S&W on a J frame but in .22 LR caliber. Best for training a young new shooter. Then when she's grown, moving to a 38 special.

Here's a pic of a S&W 642

s621033768968193158_p4_i1_w1200.jpeg

For reviews of guns, I like Hickok45 videos. Here is his of the S&W 642.

What a Lady Smith is, is they took a regular gun, gave it a slightly smoother action, engraved "Lady Smith" on the sideplate, and shipped it in a padded fitted box they called a "jewel case".

wm_8117346.jpg

wm_7240229.jpg

I have seen both the 642 and the 60 Lady Smiths. I assume they do other models also, although I think only J frames.

I carry a 642.

Several years back, a few days after Christmas, I was in my gun-pusher's. A gentleman was attempting to return a Lady Smith 642, that had been fired five times. Wife's Christmas present, and she didn't like it.

As it was now "used", he received much less money, selling it back, than he thought he should have. He left in a huff and I asked to see it, tried the trigger, asked the price, and took it to the house.

I asked my daughter if she'd like it. If she'd said no, I would have kept it for a backup. "Lady" engraved on it would not have bothered me.

Unfortunately she said, "Yes, please!", so I don't have a spare. :(

It's a fine gun.

I have shot my 642 airlite with full load 357's for qualifying as a backup and by the time I was done my hand was bleeding. I decided plus p's were good enough. Great little gun, kicks like a mini mule

I have shot my 642 airlite with full load 357's for qualifying as a backup and by the time I was done my hand was bleeding. I decided plus p's were good enough. Great little gun, kicks like a mini mule

I've got a 638 (38s only). +P's in that have quite a bite. I don't think I would want to shoot full house 357's regularly in the same frame. That would be hard on the wrists.

I have a 442 Airweight, a Model 36 and a Model 60 Pro. I love all 3 but for a young lady I would recommend my 60 Pro. It has 3" barrel. It has a full length grip and a hammer so you can shoot double or single action. It has a night sight that is pitiful as a night sight but the sights are good otherwise.

They aren't cheap though. $700 -$750 in stores.

I carried a S&W Airweight for quite some time and I would shoot it now and then. I would fire 10 rounds and I was done!! I sold it and I now carry a Colt Mustang in .380, shoots great!!! I do still have a S&W Model 60 in .38 with Pachemyer grips that absorb the recoil. With the right grips the Lady Smith should be okay but I do not recommend the Airweight for anyone!!

I carried a S&W Airweight for quite some time and I would shoot it now and then. I would fire 10 rounds and I was done!! I sold it and I now carry a Colt Mustang in .380, shoots great!!! I do still have a S&W Model 60 in .38 with Pachemyer grips that absorb the recoil. With the right grips the Lady Smith should be okay but I do not recommend the Airweight for anyone!!

+1 I agree completely.

If I could go back in time I would have bought a model 36, 60, or 63; something with a bit more weight to help absorb recoil. If you put good grips on an airweight it is manageable if you aren't shooting really hot loads, but it's not something you really want to shoot a lot. Especially if you have arthritis or any carpel tunnel issues. I've got a bit of carpel tunnel from a combination of years of being a lineman in HS and from a few years of repetitive manual labor 60-70 hours a week. I think all the practices/blocking did the most damage. By the time I started college, with all the extra typing and handwriting, it was quite noticeable.

I just bought a 3 inch Model 60LS for my Mom,I'll probably put a pair of Boot Grips on it to fit her hand better,but that's about it.The Lady Smiths came with a lighter trigger return spring and some minor polishing of the internals to make them easier for women to shoot.They're great pistols and with the 3 inch barrel the ejector kicks the empties all the way out.

I like the S&W 638 Airweight J Frame (The Bodyguard) with rubber grips the best.

It is similar to the S&W 642 in the Hickok45 video above in post #7 by Birdgun Quail, but with a minimally exposed hammer.

They call it a concealed hammer versus the enclosed hammer of the S&W 642.

It is light enough that you might actually carry it on a regular basis. About 15 oz.

The snag free recessed hammer in the hammer shroud gives you the best of both worlds... Hammer to use for a light trigger pull and double action only.

It is not made for all day shooting at the range, but it is not a boat anchor that you'll probably leave at home.

I would probably use standard pressure .38 special self-defense loads, if recoil is an issue.

I carry a 442 my wife carries a 642 both 38spl +P.

For target practice and plinking, I load up some loads that are about what the cowboy shoots use in 38spl. Recoil is mild and gives good practice for the wife. +P loaded in it for her to carry. I have had her shoot a few +P just to get a feel for it but not for routine target practice. If she ever needed to use the firearm in a self-defense situation, I doubt she would notice the increased recoil.

Bottom line a J Frame revolver is a fine firearm, accurate to self-defense ranges and quite capable of stopping a bad guy. You only have 5 shots but realistically, how many you need? 5 in the hand is better than 15 back home in the safe.

GS

Archived