SASS Wire Forum

.32 H&R vs .38 Special

J. Frank Norfleet

Lower cost to reload - lower recoil when shooting gunfighter.

I for one like the single six frame, having suffered a very bad injury to one of my hands I find the older I get the more the arthritis is stiffening up that thumb especially in cold weather, but also now in warmer weather as well.

The reach to the hammer and the smaller over all size of the gun really helps, I currently shoot .38 USFA's but have messed with the little guys a few times and I can say for a fact that I will be moving to the .32s very near future..

Spades H.

I brought a pair for my wife hoping she would get involved in CAS. She decided that CAS was not for her but I have keep the guns anyway for a couple of other reasons,

1. They offer a nice alternative to my oversize, heavy Vaqueros.

2. My hands down favorite cartridge is the 32-20. The 32 Magnum is basically a straight wall easier to reload 32-20 although I have never be able match the performance and accuracy of the 32-20.

As I got involved in SASS early years the only choices at the time were the Ruger Vaqueros and Colt SAA's. A pair of Colts were (are) out of my price range. With the excellent high quality Colt SAA clones being made today I would choose a pair in 38 Special for starter guns.

Variety for me.

11 years back, I joined SASS and used .45 Vaq.

Then about 3-4 years later, moved to the .38 Vaq.

Then about 4 years ago, I started shooting the .45 again.

A couple years back, I got an 1894 Marlin in .32 H&R and started shooting it in matches.

This past summer, I got some .32 VAQS and started using them also.

I really like the grip size and feel, but I enjoy the change in shooting them also.

Speed is subjective, in my opinion. I can have the same shooting speed with .45's on a good day as I can .32's on a bad day..... and Versa-Vice.

..........Widder

Something to keep in Mind ,,, If you ever want to shoot in Canada , You can't bring in .32 caliber pistols ...

Just saying ...

Jabez Cowboy

My wife has two pair of .32 H&R mag Ruger Single Sixes. They fit her small hands quite well. The recoil from the 100 grain bullets she shoots is comfortable for her. I have borrowed her single sixes to shoot duelist and they work well for that shooting style. She has a Marlin in .32 H&R mag but prefers to shoot her '73 using .38 Specials. The brass for .32 H&R mag (Starline and Federal) is quite uniform. I have no trouble seating and crimping in one step.

I have 3 sets of revolvers, New Vaqueros, New Blackhawks, and fixed sight New Single Sixes. The Vaqueros and Blackhawks are 357's. and the Single Sixes are 32 mag's.

I shoot all 3 sets randomly. My favorites are the Blackhawks, followed by the Single Sixes, and lastly the Vaqueros. However I like shooting the different guns from time to time.

The 32's are really a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate and no appreciable recoil. I shoot 100 gr bullets at 675 FPS, which handles the plate racks nicely. I'm tending to shoot these more and more as time goes on.

RBK

Variety for me.

11 years back, I joined SASS and used .45 Vaq.

Then about 3-4 years later, moved to the .38 Vaq.

Then about 4 years ago, I started shooting the .45 again.

A couple years back, I got an 1894 Marlin in .32 H&R and started shooting it in matches.

This past summer, I got some .32 VAQS and started using them also.

I really like the grip size and feel, but I enjoy the change in shooting them also.

Speed is subjective, in my opinion. I can have the same shooting speed with .45's on a good day as I can .32's on a bad day..... and Versa-Vice.

..........Widder

Can we see your 32 revolvers again? ;)

I started shooting .32's when I went to duelist. Back then the current lowered hammers weren't legal.

With my short thumbs I could manipulate the single six hammers much faster.

Have since gone back to New VAQS with the Shotgun Boogie short stroke.

Marshal Stone

Cimarron offers the Lightning and Model P J in a duel cylinder deal in 32-20 and 32 H&R. The catch is, the 32 is only listed with duel cylinders so price is more than a $100 higher than the 38 special that they also offer.

Taylors & Company has the Stallion in 38 Special in Navy grip and birdshead.

I'm guessing all these are made by Uberti.

Looks like any of these would be good choices for someone wanting a smaller, lighter handgun that is not a Ruger.

I'd like to try a pair but I've not ran into anyone that is shooting a pair at a match.

Anyone shooting any of these small frame sixguns?

Archived