SASS Wire Forum

Finally found some Trail Boss

Rube Burrows

Well after a couple years of not seeing any locally and finding none online either I was visiting my dad in north Alabama and lucked up and walked in his local gun shop and found 8 cans of Trail Boss.

I only bought 4 cans........thought I would be nice and leave a few there in case anyone else in that area was looking. I prob. should have just bought it all.

At 29.00 it was a good bit more than the last time I bought it under the IMR name (19.95). I don't know if that is just the difference in companies or if its more due to the times we are living in now. This is the first time I have seen it since IMR stopped making it.

The gun shop there is usually pretty good and beats most prices around so I don't fault them.

On a side note, I picked up a few boxes of .22mag also. Those have been really hard to find around here also. They usually are gone before they even hit the shelf.

Anyone else starting to find Trail Boss?

5 pound jugs are showing up also

We recently got a Sportsman Warehouse. They have about the best reloading supplies in my area. I am always looking for Trail Boss there. I would be thrilled to find a 5 pound jug there.

Sure, locally we have one shop that has had TB in 5# caddies available pretty much full time for the last 4 months. I pass the word on to fellow cowboy shooters, they go mine the mother lode, and more shows up.

Sportsman's Warehouse and Butch's Reloading and LGSs, though, haven't had any they can keep on the shelf for more than 2 minutes, for years now.

A lot depends upon how hard the store tries to get it from the distributors.

I've not seen a major price increase on the stocks since Hodgdon took over IMR and then later started new labeling with their name instead of IMR. Sounds like hefty local price increases are being applied by shop management due to high demand in your local shop.

Good luck, GJ

I've been paying $16.50 to $17.99 here. It's been around here pretty regularly for the last few months.

I got a couple of cans the other day at Cabelas. That gave me six cans on hand.

I also have a 5 lb. jug I got from Sportsmans' Warehouse a little while back. Another LGS has quite a bit of it.

$29 for a 9oz bottle?...Figures out to $51.55555555 per pound. That's a tad pricey. Maybe find a different source or a different powder.

The last bottles I bought when it was IMR were around 19.95 for that size bottle.

The gun shop that I got it from the other day is usually the best priced for miles around. I will look around. If it is starting to show up more places I will def. price shop.

Looks like I overpaid. I could not remember what I used to pay for it since I was not around my house to look at my jugs. When I got home I seen that I used to pay 19.95 or so for it. I paid almost double that. I thought it seemed kind of high but I guess I was just in shock that I found it. I will shop around more for sure.

Fast burning powders are still luck of the draw. I have been finding Trail Boss at the local Cabelas. Dillon and the local Sportsman's Warehouse haven't had any for a long time. Every time I go to Cabelas I pick up the three or four they have on the shelf and have now accumulated a pretty good supply. Price was $17.99 and Cabelas gives a 5% military discount. $29 is HIGH. After the election and the likely outcome in three weeks finding any pistol powders and primers is going to be very difficult.

We never have it around my area.I got on a site looking for some Fed. primers and they did not have primers but had two 5# jugs of TB so I bought them both.

Archived