SASS Wire Forum

Seating die a little wampus ........

Yusta B.

The current seating die (name withheld) I'm using for seating .32 Mag bullets seems to cock or cant the bullets very slightly to one side. I'm looking for something better.

Before tossing your die, disassemble it and clean all the lube and lead shavings out of the bullet seating plug.

I had the same problem, this worked for me. I cleaned it with degreaser and solvents. Should work for you. Check to make sure there's nothing stuck up there as well.

Die is clean. I disassembled to check. I've been loading polymer coated bullets.

Make sure the seating stem is the correct one for the profile of your bullet nose.

Seems to be a good fit.

Check the powder die and make sure there is nothing causing the belling portion of the die to be crooked.

Are you putting a sufficient bell on the case mouth?

If you are using a Dillon do you have the right locator pins installed?

What bullet shape?

What's the stem designed for?

OLG

Both rnd nose, for pistol.

Check the powder die and make sure there is nothing causing the belling portion of the die to be crooked.

Are you putting a sufficient bell on the case mouth?

If you are using a Dillon do you have the right locator pins installed?

Case looks good after belling. Bullet seats by fingers up to lube groove.

This is in a turret press. I'm going to try switching die to different position on tool head & switching tool heads. Next idea is different shell holder.

I had the same problem with the Dillon .32 seater die. I took it down to Dillon and they brought out a new die. The bullets are so short, especially the 80 grainers, that the radius at the bottom of the die seems to make a big difference. On the two dies there was almost imperceptible difference in the radius but you could see a subtle difference. Since I was already there, I traded for the new one just to see what would happen and never had another problem.

Are you seating and crimping in just 1 operation/position on your press?

OLG

Yes. I just moved the dies to new positions on the tool head & removed a riser extension for the powder measure. 10 bullets look good so far.

I had the same problem with the Dillon .32 seater die. I took it down to Dillon and they brought out a new die. The bullets are so short, especially the 80 grainers, that the radius at the bottom of the die seems to make a big difference. On the two dies there was almost imperceptible difference in the radius but you could see a subtle difference. Since I was already there, I traded for the new one just to see what would happen and never had another problem.

There is a very little difference between the plug & bullet nose, but some, and these are 78 gr pills so this is a good lead.

Glad to hear this-

I never seat/crimp in 1 operation.

OLG

I may try a FCD die if nothing else works.

20 rnds look ok so far. Will get back if any more problems. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

There is a very little difference between the plug & bullet nose, but some, and these are 78 gr pills so this is a good lead.

Not the plug, the radius on the bottom of the die that is supposed to align the bullet on its way to the seater plug. If you were seating and crimping in one operation you probably have a different problem.

Not the plug, the radius on the bottom of the die that is supposed to align the bullet on its way to the seater plug. If you were seating and crimping in one operation you probably have a different problem.

Thanks ! I will try & check.

Don't think they make one for the .32.

OLG

Checked & Lee does make one for .32 cal.

Archived