SASS Wire Forum

.17 Hornet: is it a good cartridge...?

Widder, SASS #59054

An old and dear friend had one and sadly his estate was sold while I was at a time of low water: I'd like to have had that little phonograph needle shooter.

He said it was wonderfully accurate.

He said it did very impressive things to groundhogs, within its effective range.

He also said -- as a caveat -- the bore had to be kept spotlessly, scrupulously, meticulously CLEAN.

I know this is second hand information, my apologies, but it's the only thing I have on the subject.

In my experience, almost all of the .17s shot well (I have several) and barrel cleaning is a must. Bullet design and manufacture has contributed to this. I had a .17 centerfire many years ago that can't compare with all the new rimfires out there.

Thanks Lynn. Second hand is still good info that you gave.

Big Sage: I have a CZ 455 in .17 HMR. BUT, that little centerfire .17 Hornet (approx 3400 fps +/-) looks like a dandy little round and appears to be available in the Ruger 77, Savage and CZ models.

It has perked my interest and might serve me well as an accurate 200 yard varmint cartridge (crows and groundhogs).

Thanks

..........Widder

Would be a fun gun for sure. Since you already have a .17HMR, I don't need to tell you how much the wind will move those little bullets around. :) I had a Savage .17HMR and loved it, until shells got up over $10.00 a box. At least with the Hornet you can reload.

You may as well go for the whole thing. A friend, who also owns the LGS, has a .14 Squirrel. The cleaning equipment looks like something a sporting jeweler might make. The case is a necked down 22 long rifle. He buys primed cases. He says it's such a pain to reload and clean that it spends most of it's time in the safe.

He is a fan of all things .17. He uses the .17 in several different iterations including Hornet for crow and hawk shooting. He says they don't have enough bullet mass to be an effective prairie dog gun.

He says they don't have enough bullet mass to be an effective prairie dog gun.

I respectfully disagree! I've shot thousands of prairie dogs with my HMR .17. They do have range limitations and as long as you stay within them, they are very effective. I try to stay at 100 yards or less. I've killed them up to 200 yards, but the bullet has slowed down enough that they just don't expand and just punch a small hole going thru. When I am shooting p dogs, I usually take 2 guns, my HMR for short range and my .22 Ackley Improved Swift for long range. On a good day I usually go thru 200 to 300 rounds of ammo. I have shot over 400 a couple of time. Lots of them little buggers around here and really fun to shoot.

And... what rifle do you run it in: The Ruger, Savage or CZ?

Is it Accurate? At what range?

thanks

..........Widder

CZ sporter wt. barrel, shoots factory hornady 20vmax 1/2 moa 5shots, nice factory set trigger, safety reversed of most not a biggy, nasty on pdogs,

only 5rnd mags and are expensive, very satisfied no regrets was really looking at ruger glad I went with CZ, did I say nice factory set trigger!!

LSL

Would be a fun gun for sure. Since you already have a .17HMR, I don't need to tell you how much the wind will move those little bullets around. :) I had a Savage .17HMR and loved it, until shells got up over $10.00 a box. At least with the Hornet you can reload.

I have a Hornet and for the life of me I can't understand all the hype over the 17. I can reload, very accurate and if I want to buy cartridges Sellior and Belloit can be had for about $10.

You can reload .17HMR?

Pulp,

you can reload the .17 Hornet. And there are a couple other .17's that are loadable, like the .17 Remington and the .17 Fireball.

..........Widder

You can reload .17HMR?

No...well almost no. Its a .22 mag rimfire necked down to .17. There are shooters out there who reload rimfire, but not me!!

I have 'heard' of a few folks who reload the rimfire.

BUT, of the more credible ones are those who actually buy some primed 'empty' cases from the factory and reload those.

On of which are those folks who will neck down a .22 case to .14, .17, .20 caliber and they purchase some primed empty cases for their 'stuff'.

..........Widder

I have read about some reloaders who make a liquid prime material and pour it in the case and let it harden. I don't know any more that that. Seems like a lot of work to me.

Howdy,

If I was getting a somewhat offbeat caliber it would be a .222 rem.

Ive shot one that was just wonderful accurate from the first shot.

I didn't get one for fear of mixing up with .223s.

Another interesting round is .204 ruger. Never shot even one round.

Best

CR

Howdy,

If I was getting a somewhat offbeat caliber it would be a .222 rem.

Ive shot one that was just wonderful accurate from the first shot.

I didn't get one for fear of mixing up with .223s.

Another interesting round is .204 ruger. Never shot even one round.

Best

CR

My son has a .204, shoots great, but he has trouble finding bullets for it, sometimes small rifle primers too.

I absolutely love my .220 AI Swift. Very accurate, puts 3 in almost one hole at 100 yds going just over 4000 fps.

Archived