SASS Wire Forum

what would you do with a $8,000 1911?

Trigger Mike

Im still craving getting a Wilson 1911, been playing on my mind for years. While strolling through their website again, I noticed they have a 1911 called a Pinnacle. The base price is $7,995. Now the picture makes it look like the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but in reality what would you do with a pistol that cost $8,000? once you shot it it drops in value.

I have an Armand Swensen full on conversion of a pre series 70 gold cup, I don't exactly know what it's worth but it's up there, While I have shot it a little it mainly sits in the safe kept as an investment. I have to imagine the same thing would happen with the Wilson pinnacle while it's pretty and functional it would still mostly sit in the safe while your more common 1911's get a workout.

Willy B'

Honestly? I would take the money and buy a tuned '73, the Single Actions of my choice and a Browning SxS. Probably toss in some new gun leather too. If I already had those (I don't), I might go ahead and expand my CAS arsenal. Then, I would start looking for other guns I want. Garand, 1903, or Browning Citori.

I doubt if I would end up with a 1911 that expensive if I won the lottery. At least, it would be low on my list. I have no qualms about buying expensive guns, but they would have a purpose for me. Think a K-80 for competitive trap. I wouldn't foresee myself using the pistol you describe for competition or even as a range gun.

Nothing

$8000 gets you a machine gun. And that's just going to keep going up in value, unless you blow it up.

First off, I would never buy a 1911 for $8000. I have had my fill of them, thank you - not tryin' to start a fight. Just statin' a fact.

BUT, if someone gave me that gun, assuming it was really "worth" $8000 I would sell it and buy a couple of Smith and Wessons that I have always desired, a good 45-70 rifle and a used dual sport motorcycle.

By the way, by "good" I mean usable and not a safe queen and not a "collectible". Probably a Marlin 1895 GSBL.

Sell it and buy 8 or more guns with the money :-)

Just saying !

JMHO I would much rather have the Rock River Arms Limited Match. It's only $3,600 and will shoot inch and a half at 50 yards where the Wilson Pinnacle is 1 inch at 25 yards.

RRA_LIMITED

Heck, $850.00 will get you a perfectly good new Colt series 70 1911. A man really don't need more than that.

I have a Remington Rand that was my Grand dads .

I have two Rugers

I have a RIA Rock Island Armory

All are 70 seares style guns .

All shoot great .

I am really fond of the Ruger Commander 1911 .

But I just dont think there is any 1911s worth 8k .

Just saying :-)

I have to agree that it is hard to justify 8k for a gun that functions the same for a lot less. i have to admit the picture of the Pinnacle made me set aside the thought that Cheryl Teigs is the most beautiful thing ever to exist. it was almost as gorgeous as her. id be afraid to overwork either one. as much as i love it i just can't see why it is 8k. maybe when I'm filthy rich and have everything i could ever want. now if DocWard wants to help me raise the money to buy it just in case i decide to I have a correct Garand i could sell him.

I guess you can set any price you want to on anything you want to.

Kinda reminds me of the old story of the little kid who had the ugliest looking, foulest smelling dog in the world. His dad demanded that the kid get rid of the dog...immediately if not sooner. So, the kid puts up a sign in the front yard that reads "Dog For Sale. $10,000."

When the father got home from work that evening, the sign was down. "You can't tell me you sold that mangy mutt for ten thousand dollars!" he said to his son.

"Sure I did," replied the boy. "Well, actually, I didn't get cash for him. I traded him with Johnny down the street for two five-thousand dollar cats!"

I have to agree that it is hard to justify 8k for a gun that functions the same for a lot less. i have to admit the picture of the Pinnacle made me set aside the thought that Cheryl Teigs is the most beautiful thing ever to exist. it was almost as gorgeous as her. id be afraid to overwork either one. as much as i love it i just can't see why it is 8k. maybe when I'm filthy rich and have everything i could ever want. now if DocWard wants to help me raise the money to buy it just in case i decide to I have a correct Garand i could sell him.

I'll get back to you on that...

Why shouldn't Wilson try to sell a standard gun with some fancy markings and a nice finish for $8000? There are universities full of fools spending $30k and more for degrees with low demand and the hopes of making $35k/yr.

A 1911 worth that kinda of money should be a real Colt with enormous engraving or one that had been owned by someone famous, like J Edgar Hoover, Dillon or Aduie Murphy. Just saying...

If I could afford to buy an $8k gun easily, it wud be to shoot the snot out of it!!!!!

having said that, I can't afford it, so i would wipe my slobber off of it and buy what I cud afford

If I had it and could get $8000.00 for it I would sell it and buy my grand daughter a black show saddle and give her the money to go to the big horse show in OK.

I'd shoot it and thank whoever gave the gun to me (cause no way I'd pay that much for anything short of a machine gun). Depending on how it shot, I'd decide whether to keep it or sell it and buy something else.

I have an Armand Swensen full on conversion of a pre series 70 gold cup, I don't exactly know what it's worth but it's up there, While I have shot it a little it mainly sits in the safe kept as an investment. I have to imagine the same thing would happen with the Wilson pinnacle while it's pretty and functional it would still mostly sit in the safe while your more common 1911's get a workout.

Willy B'

I have a colt gold cup national match from 1968. I was told it was worth round about $2k. I was also told that the gun was specially designed to be shot with lighter loads and that full power ammo could wear it out or worse. On top of that, the original owner never fired it. So I don't shoot that one, but other than that one gun I shoot everything I own. Don't believe in safe queens. I also have a US&S 1911 that's worth $3500 that I only shoot a little bit.

Archived