SASS Wire Forum

wild bunch guns at regular match?

Duncan Disorderly

Maybe I missed something . Wasn't Mounted shooting started by or folded into SASS? Didn't the Wild Bunch start WB shooting so they could play with their 97's and 1911's?

Look at the HOME PAGE of SASS and it's listed there as "Single Action Shooting Society Wild Bunch Action Shooting".That being said, aren't all 3 venues part of or off shoots of SASS with rules set down by the rules committee and approved by the WB?

As long as the CAS shooters follow SASS rules shooting their venue and WB shooters follow the rules set down by SASS (aka the WB) shooting their venue and each is scored separately what's the beef? If it attracts more shooters on that given day or weekend it's a bonus for the club. Not all clubs have 40 or 50 shooters each weekend. Not all clubs have 2,000,000 people close by to draw shooters from.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any reason to get into a fight over this BUT the 1911 IS a SINGLE action handgun. There were also plenty of cowboys wearing them after they came home from WWI. The1911's have been around a lot longer than the Rugers and the Uberti clones. I certainly prefer to have WBAS and CAS as separate matches but letting those who want to shoot their WBAS guns at a CAS match is better than not shooting them at all. As for WBAS being a "parasite" I think if you had been to EOT the last few years before he passed away The GENERAL only shot the WBAS match. The Judge also states that he doesn't want to shoot CAS either if he can shoot WBAS.

It is a single action semi-auto, as opposed to a single action revolver, not at all the same thing.

A single action revolver has to have the hammer manually cocked for every shot, a single action auto doesn't. Furthermore it's not better to have a WBAS gun shot at a CAS match unless you want to score them completely separately as it's clearly not a SASS legal handgun and has a competitive advantage over a single action revolver.

SHB page 9

Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use in SASS main match competition.

Maybe I missed something . Wasn't Mounted shooting started by or folded into SASS? Didn't the Wild Bunch start WB shooting so they could play with their 97's and 1911's?

Look at the HOME PAGE of SASS and it's listed there as "Single Action Shooting Society Wild Bunch Action Shooting".That being said, aren't all 3 venues part of or off shoots of SASS with rules set down by the rules committee and approved by the WB?

As long as the CAS shooters follow SASS rules shooting their venue and WB shooters follow the rules set down by SASS (aka the WB) shooting their venue and each is scored separately what's the beef? If it attracts more shooters on that given day or weekend it's a bonus for the club. Not all clubs have 40 or 50 shooters each weekend. Not all clubs have 2,000,000 people close by to draw shooters from.

The way I read the OP he's asking about substituting 1911's into a CAS match, not running a WBAS match concurrently with a SASS match.

With all the anti-gun stuff out there in the liberal media, its beyond my comprehension WHY some folks knock others shooting sports Sorry for getting off the OP, this just burns me. My 2 cents

Any issues with allowing wild bunch guns at regular sass match?

Basically just the 1911 in place of the two SA revolvers, right?

Howdy Duncan, in a word NO. Two entirely different games, two entirely different set of rules...twice the brass to shag and two different kinds of RO needed. When WB started we asked our shooters if anyone objected to having the 1911 as part of the SASS match. We told them "don't be shy, if there is one or more shooters that don't want the two mixed then that would be the end...period" We had more than one.....so we do it as a stand alone match when possible. IMNHO WB is actually much better when played according to the design intended. Shooting the 1911 at some of the big and close targets we use wouldn't be half as much fun as a day of shooting real BP at them ;) . Good Luck :)

Yep, should be announced so thoses that object can try to find another match...Good Luck :)

match.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Captain Bill Burt, on 12 Oct 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

The way I read the OP he's asking about substituting 1911's into a CAS match, not running a WBAS match concurrently with a SASS match.

I understand that Captain. The whole thread got off track as usually happens and then we run with it. My apology for tossing in my 2 cents worth since some folks in here have a problem with different venue's.

I understand that Captain. The whole thread got off track as usually happens and then we run with it. My apology for tossing in my 2 cents worth since some folks in here have a problem with different venue's.

I certainly don't expect an apology as you've clearly done nothing wrong!!!!

I apologize to you if my response gave you the impression I disapprove of your post!

CBB I trust you know that you and so many of our compadres can run single action revolvers faster than a 1911 can cycle. That is moot because even with both mixed on a posse they should never be scored together. Two different games with two entirely different parameters. It took me a long time to get my club to quit scoring WB shooters as just another category and listed in the overall order with the CAS shooters. You flat cannot do that. It must be scored as two separate and distinct matches even if there is only one or two WB shooters. Our 5th Sat match is advertised as a WBAS match with CAS shooters welcome. Many times I will be the only one shooting WB which puts me in first place and reigning WBAS club champ and NOT last place overall. So long as it is scored as two separate matches there should be no gnashing of teeth allowing folks to enjoy whichever game they feel like shooting that day

Hi Folks,

I've been to an annual where the 1911 was allowed instead of SAs in the same match. They had a separate category. One time one person shot it. Another time, two people shot it. No big deal as I saw (with an experienced shooter and TO).

I'm shooting less and less for physical reasons, one of which is the thumb I cock with. That problem is solved shooting a 1911. So, I don't have an issue with local matches trying them out mixed with CAS, as long as they are in a separate category. After all, trying different things at monthly matches to find out how popular they would be is the way 49er and FCGF got started.

Also, my husband was no longer able to shoot a SAA safely; but could shoot a 1911 safely. He quit shooting when the President of the club where Hubby was a co-founder wouldn't allow it after the second match. Said President was not a founder and quit SASS when Modern was eliminated. So, that taints my opinion of his edicts. It was his way or the highway. Reasonable accommodation was a foreign term to him. Thankfully, he took the highway.

Regards,

Allie

PS The post I deleted was reported by someone else and was rude. I did not delete because I did not agree with it. There are lots of posts I don't agree with that I don't delete. If they are politely stated, they remain.

Any issues with allowing wild bunch guns at regular sass match?

Basically just the 1911 in place of the two SA revolvers, right?

That's how it's done at our club, for those who want to shoot the Wild Bunch category. No problems so far. I'm even thinking of giving it a try myself. I might even put together a pre-WWI Army uniform for it.

One more comment. Our club shoots Cowboy on the 1st Sat of the month. We also have a shoot @ mid-month, Cowboy OR WB. Usually we do not have enuf WB'er for a full possie, so cowboys are ask if they would mind shooting with WB,ers. Some don't want to and some who are shooting CB that day will join up. We shoot the CB's together while the WB's run the possie then we switch. We do have seperate shooting sequencies & rd counts. But the same target setup!! Scored any d--- way you want, for a family friendly, monthly, shoot! Come on down and have fun! C.W. :FlagAm:

We finished our last scheduled match of the year last Saturday. But we are trying to arrange one more match on the last weekend of October. I'm proposing it be more of a fun match. Obviously, follow all the safety procedures but allow shooters to switch categories per stage. Use the timer but don't record scores.

If we can get the details worked out and the weather cooperates. I'll shoot at least one stage Wild Bunch and another Josey Wales. I'm even considering loading some 45 ACP with BlackMZ and seeing if it'll cycle and run clean enough through my Remington Rand to get off 20 shots in a Wild Bunch BP Josey Wales stage!

a 1911 is most certainly a single action pistol.
google it, read about it, check other sports' rules.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Just been asked about it..though I'd ask here.

Seems a bit mixed...

SASS = Single Action Shooting Society. CAS = Cowboy Action Shooting. Sorry, but a 1911 doesn't fit in either of those descriptions.

I realize full well that some Match Directors for "Local" matches play fast and loose with the rules, but the header for the club almost always says "All SASS Rules Apply" Kinda Oxy Moron to throw 1911s in the mix. Totally against SASS rules for CAS.

I read all the posts and smiled to myself. Los Pistoleros is a WBAS only club but we have had cowboy shooters passing through the Albuquerque area shoot with us because we were the only match in the area on that weekend. They needed the practice and we thought what's the big deal? So was it an issue to allowing sass guns at a wild bunch match?

Before the Wild Bunch Committee changed the team rules we had a genuine Wild Bunch team match for several years. Each team of four had to have a Pike (1911 & rifle), a Dutch (1911 & WB shotgun), a Lyle (two revolvers & rifle) and a Tector (two revolvers & WB shotgun). All WBAS rules were enforced including caliber and power factor requirements. We all shot the same stages but because of the different round counts for the four characters we didn't all compete against each other. In the end we gave awards to the top team and the top shooters in each of the character categories. Some shooters even signed up for more than one character. It was a blast.

If folks aren't having fun they will shoot somewhere else.

JFN

I read all the posts and smiled to myself. Los Pistoleros is a WBAS only club but we have had cowboy shooters passing through the Albuquerque area shoot with us because we were the only match in the area on that weekend. They needed the practice and we thought what's the big deal? So was it an issue to allowing sass guns at a wild bunch match?

Before the Wild Bunch Committee changed the team rules we had a genuine Wild Bunch team match for several years. Each team of four had to have a Pike (1911 & rifle), a Dutch (1911 & WB shotgun), a Lyle (two revolvers & rifle) and a Tector (two revolvers & WB shotgun). All WBAS rules were enforced including caliber and power factor requirements. We all shot the same stages but because of the different round counts for the four characters we didn't all compete against each other. In the end we gave awards to the top team and the top shooters in each of the character categories. Some shooters even signed up for more than one character. It was a blast.

JFN

That wild bunch team shooting sounds awesome. I'd totally be down with that.

Only a few more words, if this group, which I so love, cannot not get along, on such a simple issue, with the current political climate, God help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1000

Couldn't have said it better.

RBK

I don't want it at a CAS match as its not my cup of tea. There are a few reasons including those already mentioned by Boggus Deal.

Another thing not mentioned yet is the fact that semi-autos need a lot more kick to cycle and that means the noise is much worse. For those with hearing issues it's a deal breaker!

JFN

That does sound cool. Were period correct double action revolvers allowed?

PWB,

Will have to ponder on being "outside the flock" when we have WB shooters. A new direction may be in order.

Very Sincerely Yours,

Marty Mudd

TRP has a 5th Saturday match 4 times/year. We allow WB shooters or Cowboy shooters. We even allow "WB light" for those that have a 1911 but not a lever rifle >40 cal.. We figure might as well let folks try it, they may find they like it! We also have a WB only match 4 times/year. it has been well received, we may go to having a WB match every other month next year. I greatly prefer CAS to WB, but do shoot WB when offered. I would not be in favor of a regular match having WB mixed in with CAS.

Next week at Defend Old Fort Parker they are having the Plainsman side match in the morning, Wild Bunch side match in the afternoon, so shooters can participate in both. I'm looking forward to it! (I figured out between main match, side match, long range, plainsman & WB I'll be bringing 13 guns (plus my everyday carry gun) to this match! My traveling pard will have about the same. We always laugh when we read about somebody getting stopped by the police, and they report finding "an arsenal" in his car. 3 guns and 75 rounds of ammo. When we go to a match we usually have close to 30 guns and 2000 rounds of ammo between us! In Texas that's just considered being well prepared!

My traveling pard will have about the same. We always laugh when we read about somebody getting stopped by the police, and they report finding "an arsenal" in his car. 3 guns and 75 rounds of ammo. When we go to a match we usually have close to 30 guns and 2000 rounds of ammo between us! In Texas that's just considered being well prepared!

I understand that, Hoss! Match guns for two for cowboy and Wild Bunch matches, backup guns, side match guns, ammo for all and then self defense guns...

Just to stir the pot a bit more ..... SASS didn't start Wild Bunch Shooting. SASS found a way to completely screw it up. WB was started as a "Side Match Only" and was initially set up to run your era safe queens. Lugers, Broom Handles, 1917 DAs, 1911s, etc.

Then SASS jumped in with their infamous EOT "Side Match" and the book of "rules" that eliminated the original intent of WB and restricted it to 1911s only. And SASS with a 1911 was born. Most places you visit, it's 5 rounds per magazine, 10 - 10 - 6 with the only real difference is a fully loaded '97.

I suppose I should actually change my previously stated position. Since it really isn't Wild Bunch the way the originators of Wild Bunch intended it, and it is mostly CAS with a 1911 ....... Why Not?? Now, just exactly WHY can't I bring my Broomhandle??? Or my 1917??

As long as we're gonna blow away the rules, lets get back to the REAL Wild Bunch, Say Hey!!

I understand that, Hoss! Match guns for two for cowboy and Wild Bunch matches, backup guns, side match guns, ammo for all and then self defense guns...

I once accidentally cut off a guy in traffic. he started yelling blowing his horn, the "one fingered salute" etc. My pard said "I hope he doesn't start shooting" I replied "I bet we have him outgunned"!

I know a couple of clubs that allow a shooter to shoot their monthly match using their WB gear. They are not scored against any other shooters except any other shooter using WB gear. This activity gets more action when there is a WB match upcoming in the area. As far as a club no longer holding a SASS match that allows a couple of shooters to use WB gear, that is a weak argument. As long as SASS rules apply to CAS shooters and WB rules apply to WB shooters what is the issue?

Just to stir the pot a bit more ..... SASS didn't start Wild Bunch Shooting. SASS found a way to completely screw it up. WB was started as a "Side Match Only" and was initially set up to run your era safe queens. Lugers, Broom Handles, 1917 DAs, 1911s, etc.

Then SASS jumped in with their infamous EOT "Side Match" and the book of "rules" that eliminated the original intent of WB and restricted it to 1911s only. And SASS with a 1911 was born. Most places you visit, it's 5 rounds per magazine, 10 - 10 - 6 with the only real difference is a fully loaded '97.

I suppose I should actually change my previously stated position. Since it really isn't Wild Bunch the way the originators of Wild Bunch intended it, and it is mostly CAS with a 1911 ....... Why Not?? Now, just exactly WHY can't I bring my Broomhandle??? Or my 1917??

As long as we're gonna blow away the rules, lets get back to the REAL Wild Bunch, Say Hey!!

And WB should go back to that

You have spoken a truism, sir. But, a lot of people in the game now don't know what Wild Bunch was like before the official SASS rules for the event were created. SASS Wild Bunch is a very watered down version of the way most clubs did WB back in the day. As far as it not being SASS with a 1911 goes, well... If you play according to the official rules I can see why they say that, but I don't buy it. I see it as more of a variation of a normal SASS shoot than a different game.

I did the WB match at EOT, and here is how I noticed it to be "different" from SASS

1. Targets a little smaller and farther away.

2. Typical stage was 10-25-6 Ten rifle, 25 pistol, so using 5 1911 mags with 5 rounds each, and 6 shotgun.

3. Shotguns were preloaded like a rifle.

4. Shotgun targets are not made up if you miss them.

And that's it. I really don't think that's all that major of a difference. It's more like you are using 5 revolvers instead of 2, and the 97 as it was designed.

As as aside, I personally found the 6 shotgun to be irksome. My 97 only holds 5 rounds, which is the way the gun was designed by Mr. Browning. It's one thing to load a gun with fewer rounds than it was designed for, like a 1911, it can be done by all. But to do 6 shotgun rounds in a 97, you either have to be lucky enough to have one of those oddities that holds 6, or you have to modify the gun from its original configuration. I don't like modifying my guns.

On the other hand, WB as it was played before the official SASS rules were created WAS a very different game. It was not exactly the same at every club, but the rules for that club were always clearly stated so people would know what they were getting into. Stages were typically 10-10-5 so that people with ordinary SASS guns could also shoot the match.

So how was it different? In general, with some modification, the rules fell along these lines.

1. Any pistol that was made prior to 1918 was legal. 1911's, Lugers and Broomhandles were the most common automatics you saw, but others did show up. 1917's, Webley's and early S&W DA's were the most commonly seen revolvers, but again, other things did show up. You could use 2 revolvers, 1 automatic that was reloaded, or even two automatics if you wanted to.

2. Rifles: Again, anything made before 1918 was okay. Some clubs bumped that out to 1921 to allow the Thompson, but that was a rarity. Early semi-autos that shot basically pistol type cartridges and lever actions dominated. Some clubs also allowed you to use rifles in rifle caliber cartridges. So 1903 Springfields, Krags, Mausers, 1895 Winchesters, 1886 Winchesters, SMLE rifles and the like were often seen. Rifle targets tended to be farther out than at a typical SASS match due to the higher powered guns, but not so far that those using normal SASS rifles were at a handicap. If your rifle did not hold 10 rounds, you could either reload, or use two rifles.

3. Shotguns. Any pre-1900 shotgun in safe working order was allowed, and the magazines were pre-loaded like a rifle. You would see 97's, 87's, Burgess, and Spencer shotguns. One club even allowed original 93's and Marlins if loaded with black powder. (There was a proviso for the Marlin that it had to be certified by a gunsmith as being in proper working order, IIRC)

As you can see, this WAS a very different game. At times, I would use more "modern" guns at these matches, and at others, I would use things like my S&W Model 3 DA and Colt 1878, both actual antiques, coupled with a .30-30 and a stoked up 97 so I could shoot "Cowboy era" guns that are not normally used in our game.

And you know, there was never a problem with TO's not being "unfamiliar" with all the different types of guns you would see. Nor were there problems at the loading/unloading table. I find it amazing how there seems to be an underlying assumption here on the Wire that the people in this game are dangerously ignorant of any type of a firearm other than the SASS main match types and (possibly) a 1911. We are shootists! Sure, not all of us will be familiar with everything, but come on. If we see something we are not familiar with, we are smart enough to ask for directions before we even load the thing.

To be honest, I think the pre-SASS official way of doing WB was better. If I am at a big regional match that has WB according to the SASS rules, I will shoot it, but I doubt that I'd go out of my way to find a stand alone match set up that way.

On the other hand, I keep my eyes peeled for these "pre-SASS style" WB matches. Them I would make the effort to go to. Sadly they are not all that common anymore. There is one club near me that I believe still does it at every match, but they shoot on Sunday's.

For quite a few years now, to change things up during the winter months when numbers are down, I started offering a special category each month. All standard SASS categories are also offered.

One month each:

"Josey Wales" (4)-pistols, (1)-double barrel shotgun

"Rifleman" (2)-rifles, (1)-shotgun

"Street Howitzer" (1)-rifle, (1)-pistol, (1)-97 stoked w/5 (used in place of one pistol) and (1)-SASS shotgun

"Wild Bunch" (1)-rifle, (1)-97 shotgun-stoked per stage description, Pistol-any combination of pre-1912 handguns

Guess what - participation in each of the "specialty categories" is more than all the rest combined.

Each match is advertised in advance.

Comments have all been positive.

The shooters around here look forward to these options because its fun, and different.

It's change of pace, and it allows people to dust off guns that you normally can't use. It also allows things like shooting the rifle targets with the pistols in the Josey Wales category.

For quite a few years now, to change things up during the winter months when numbers are down, I started offering a special category each month. All standard SASS categories are also offered.

One month each:

"Josey Wales" (4)-pistols, (1)-double barrel shotgun

"Rifleman" (2)-rifles, (1)-shotgun

"Street Howitzer" (1)-rifle, (1)-pistol, (1)-97 stoked w/5 (used in place of one pistol) and (1)-SASS shotgun

"Wild Bunch" (1)-rifle, (1)-97 shotgun-stoked per stage description, Pistol-any combination of pre-1912 handguns

Guess what - participation in each of the "specialty categories" is more than all the rest combined.

Each match is advertised in advance.

Comments have all been positive.

The shooters around here look forward to these options because its fun, and different.

It's change of pace, and it allows people to dust off guns that you normally can't use. It also allows things like shooting the rifle targets with the pistols in the Josey Wales category.

That's outstanding right there. I love it.

The Texas Historical Shooting Society (THSS) has some special WB rules, allowing for different types of guns. At their large annual, "Trailhead" they usually have some people shooting WB with a 1911 and a early DA revolver.

Here are their rules

http://www.thss.org/rules/thss-wild-bunch-rules/

I know a couple of clubs that allow a shooter to shoot their monthly match using their WB gear. They are not scored against any other shooters except any other shooter using WB gear. This activity gets more action when there is a WB match upcoming in the area. As far as a club no longer holding a SASS match that allows a couple of shooters to use WB gear, that is a weak argument. As long as SASS rules apply to CAS shooters and WB rules apply to WB shooters what is the issue?

If you are referring to the posted opinion (#29) regarding the application of SASS rules for Cowboy Action Shooting, the response was to the OP regarding "regular SASS matches"...NOT any of the various clubs' "specialty matches" allowing non-standard categories and equipment.

Don't forget to include the "Josey Wales", "Outlaw", and other categories with their own unique regulations when training home club ROs.

;)

Most folks do not know that WB had been shot at monthly SASS matches for at least a decade that I know of before SASS got into the act with the rule book that did not resemble what shooters had been enjoying, ie bringing what they had to shoot. Most brought whatever 1911s and 97s they had but other options were allowed. When the 40 caliber rifle, very specific 1911 rules, and power factor were introduced, many if not most quit shooting WB. That is why WB has not been the popular alternative SASS had hoped for.

I don't think that "folks in here" have a problem with different venue's. What folks do have a problem with it going to a cowboy match that has 1911's in it.......kind of like going to a Blake Shelton concert but Ozzie Osborne is the singer. Just ain't right.

Most folks do not know that WB had been shot at monthly SASS matches for at least a decade that I know of before SASS got into the act with the rule book that did not resemble what shooters had been enjoying, ie bringing what they had to shoot. Most brought whatever 1911s and 97s they had but other options were allowed.

When the 40 caliber rifle, very specific 1911 rules, and power factor were introduced, many if not most quit shooting WB.

That is why WB has not been the popular alternative SASS had hoped for.

Some of us have been shooting "Wild Bunch" longer than that at either dedicated WB matches or as sidematches or team shoots at major CAS events.

Until medical issues intervened, my home club (OOWSS) had been regularly shooting our own version of WB on the 5th Sundays

(until quite recently, under our own club rules...which included loading SEVEN in the pistol magazines). :o

The reasons/arguments for only loading FIVE under WBAS rules are somewhat condescending...IMO...until that is changed, it IS "CAS with a 1911".

<_<

(but that discussion is best taken to the WBAS forum)

Archived