SASS Wire Forum

question for those shooting lowered hammers. duelist or gf

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

do you find less pull to the side as you cock?

thinking of getting another set or revolvers, and was curious about this,

ShyAnnie,

I don't know if it is the hammers that I use or the actual grip frame size. I'm shooting Ruger .32's that have the shorter (Vaquerito) grip frame and I've slightly narrowed the grip panels to better fit my hands.

..........Widder

Talked to a cowgirl yesterday (velvet) and she had boogies installed. She shoots OMV and has small hands. She shoots LGF. She found them much easier to manipulate Bottom line is that she is now shooting a full 10 seconds faster with the new short stroke. I personally have never seen her shoot so well or with such confidence That is worth a big WOW.

I"m shooting the New Vaqueros and I put some of those lower, wider hammers in them. The factory hammers were so tall that shooting Gunfighter, I had to reach my thumb around and hook the hammer. I had occasional thumb slips which caused "problems". After installing the new hammers, my thumbs just reach up and easily cock.

Now, if I could just get my stupid left hand to aim, I'd be all set.

I have the lower hammers on my NMVs. I shoot Double Duelist & Gunfighter and have some arthritis in my thumbs. These hammers definitely help.

I've been shooting a pair of short stroked and lower hammers Taylor's runnin irons , there seems to less outward movement of the barrel it could just be me but I think the less movement to pull the hammer the better

I normally shoot duelist with Ruger Bisleys. I shot Colt clones for years but I can hardly use them now. I'm spoiled!

I'm not sure if it's the lowered hammers or the wider hammer spurs but I've shot Taylor's Runnin' Irons and now SASS Vaqueros and love them both compared to the taller more narrow hammers of other guns. Yes, sliding your thumb to the side while cocking is much easier with these style hammers.

20160816_121501_zps1jgno8d4.jpg

I shoot gunfighter but in slow motion so I'm not one to use as an example. I started out with Cattleman 45s with standard hammers. I switched them for Runnin' Irons and felt they worked easier. This summer I traded into these Ruger NMV in 45ACP/C45S. I find the hammer configuration comfortable and familiar.

But humans are adaptable. To get a good evaluation, one would need to switch from one style hammer to the other - maybe several times - to see if one style is an improvement over the other.

I prefer to put old model hammers in. Never did care for the montado hammer. But i roll cock i don't do the straight back action

Cheyenne

Lassiter short-stroked my NM Vaqueros and lowered the hammer. Between those two mods, the side to side movement of the muzzle has lessened noticeably. Of course, the faster I run them, the more the tendency to snatch them to the side. Considering beveling very slightly the inside of the hammer to facilitate thumb moving more smoothly of it. I know some GFs practice drawing the hammer backward in a straighter line but I am not there.

cool, I shot a pair of SASS vaqueros this past weekend and ran them as well as my Smokin irons... seems like it's time for new hammers or Runnin irons...

cool, I shot a pair of SASS vaqueros this past weekend and ran them as well as my Smokin irons... seems like it's time for new hammers or Runnin irons...

The Runin' Irons are great guns. Like I said earlier I had a pair and loved them. I switched to the SASS Vaqueros because I like the extra heft of the Rugers. I like being able to "feel" them out there at arms length. I'll throw you an extra two cents and tell you to not even take them out of the box. Just send them straight to Lassiter and have him work his short stroke magic on them. :wub:

I have a pair of Uberti P models that I put Thurnderstorm hammers in and love them.I all so have a a pair of Lassiter done SASS NMV that have the works with 4" barrels.They are very nice.I have small hands and the lower hammers make it a lot easier for me to shoot GF.

I have had the hammers turned down on my 1860s and my ROAs and find them much easier to shoot.

I have a set of NMVs , did not like em much

added SBH hammers and slim Alamont grips , Now

I DETEST EM ,

going back to COLT clones

CB

But you're strange about a lot of thngs!

I put some Taylor dropped hammers in my Uberti Cattlemen. They work great for duelist but I'd switch back to the standard hammers for two handed shooting.

Archived