SASS Wire Forum

Help with primer feed on Older MEC sizemaster

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

I have an older MEC Sizemaster with a primer feed tray on it. The auto part of this system is missing. I can grab a chain that hangs down and have a primer drop. Got new spring set, no instructions and no you tubes on how to do it. I must be the dumbest cowboy on the face of the earth because I can't figure out how to make it an auto prime. I appears that no one has ever asked this question so there are no videos or forums that I can find that address it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Marlin (The Dumb)Buckhorn

I don't have my Sizemaster any more, but the chain runs between a lever and a hook on the bottom of the primer tray. Maybe somebody will have a picture. Or look on utube.

Do not have a Sizemaster , but years ago had a 650 , and currently have a 9000 , and those two had a similar-working system to each other. I would expect the Sizemaster to also have the same Rube Goldberg set-up as those two. Just one of the several aggravations of a MEC.

Mine makes great loads when everything is clicking and I am watching it like a hawk. :lol:

Good luck , Rex :D

Cliff Hangers picture is NOT relevant to the Sizemaster. His picture is for a progressive press, which mounts on the opposite side of the machine. Single stage MEC's mount their feed on the other side of the press.. Only have one bead chain, which is totally under the primer tray. They have a lever system, which extends over to the final crimp station, and is activated when final crimping the finished hull. There is a spring under the tray that connects to the actuating lever, up to the back edge of the primer tray.

Very hard to explain, but the OP needs to go look at one in operation. That will show him how everything works. The primer feeds are identical on the Sizemaster, and those 600 Jr's, that are so equipped. The 600 Jr's do not come with primer feeds, but they can be added.

RBK

I posted a video that I found on how to setup primer feed.

I admit I have never seen a Sizemaster or 600 Machine.

I did not know if it would help or not.

I have always used progressive MEC reloaders.

-----------------------------

Speed test hand fed primers vs primer feeder.

Manual for your Primer feed

MEC EasyPrime-V

Be sure the Actuator Arm Finger is resting on the crimp die and does not get pinched by the crimp die nut while performing the final crimp on a shell.

I have found that spraying the primer tray with silicone lube and then wiping it off after it dries with a soft cloth helps feeding when you get down to the last 10 or so primers.

Also be sure that when you insert the bracket under the nuts for the reprime punch and knockout bushing that they sit flush and do not end up sitting on a weld bead.

Ok, I looked at my Sizemaster, I have it set up but haven't swapped it out with the 600 jr. on the bench yet. Cannot post a photo tonight, but could sometime this weekend if you need to see it. There is an arm that is engaged that activates the primer arm to drop a primer, that arm is moved by a loaded shell in the last crimp station. When the chain is properly set and with a shell in the final crimp position it will move the primer arm to drop a primer for the next shell.

Try putting a finished loaded shell in the final crimp station and look at the rear of the machine to see what happens as you pull down on the handle. You should see the action that will operate and feed a primer.

JSS

Thanks everybody! I did print out the instructions for the EZ Prime "V". Have tried following them yet as I was frustrated and tired last night. I think I have a chance of getting it running properly now, I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Marlin

Archived