SASS Wire Forum

whats the best pocket knife with clip ?

Trigger Mike

i like to carry a pocket knife with the clip so that it hangs on the top of the pocket. i use it fairly often to open feed or seed bags or packages, etc but they always lose their edge in no time at all. The clips start getting loose and the knives fall apart. what is a good brand that maintains a shar edge for longer and is more sturdy that does not start to fall apart over time?

Ive tried the smith and wesson but it is too heavy and pulls my pants down. Ive tried the cheap walmart but they fall apart, I've tried browning and it does ok but will not keep a good edge.

I have bought dozens of knives from many makers over the last 10-15 years and the one that always ends up back where it belongs in my pocket is my Benchmade Mini Griptillian. That one and my mini Swiss Army Knife. I am not kidding about "dozens of knives" either. I have tried every pocket knife shape, gimmick, clip. scale material, lock, etc.But for what you are looking for I recommend the Benchmade.

Pocket knife thread

(see post #29)

...also keep a Benchmade automatic clipped behind the seat in the vehicle.

with a few others scattered within easy reach.

I realize that this choice is a bit off the usual path....

But I carry a Myerchin titanium rigger's knife. The clip is extremely durable, the blade holds an edge, you can open it with one hand, and it's light. If any of your work involves rope or line, the marlinspike on the back is really handy for getting the knots out.

http://shop.myerchin.com/TF300-Gen-2-Titanium-Captain-TF300.htm

Great tool.

LL

I carry 2 every day. One is a CRKT M21-04 and the other is a CRKT M16-03 Classic. The M21 is slightly bigger (about 1/4" longer but has a deep recurve on the blade) and that one stays clipped in my off side front pocket for 'socializing' or heavier cutting. The smaller M16 stays in (it has a clip but I don't use it) the strong side front pocket for everyday use.

I carry a Gerber that's served me well for several years. Holds a decent edge but still needs sharpening. It is a bit difficult to put an edge on it. Hard steel.

A Benchmade Scallion is my everyday knife. Kershaws and Bokers are good.

I look for a knife that is built right: made so it hinges from the top of the clip. Otherwise it can open when you push you hand into a pocket.

For hard and routine work, a smaller fixed blade will be more robust.

I second the Chris Reeve; specifically the Sebenza. It always comes out on top of the survivors tests. Note that it's not cheap. I've been using one for 15 years, so the annual cost is not that great.

I've got a couple of Kershaws that are holding up well

I love my Kershaws! I got two of 'em, one in my pocket everyday and one in my gun cart!

I have a nice Benchmark sans clip which detached itself with no unusual force applied....just normal wear. I tried several glues which all failed and finally contacted the factory in hopes that they could repair it. "Sorry, that model is discontinued and we have no parts nor can we repair it". Needless to say I haven't bought another Benchmark.

Kershaw. I had one I REALLY liked. Point broke when I dropped it about 20 feet onto a sidewalk. Finally lost it when I had to get through some shrubbery. Something managed to catch on the exposed end of the clip and pop it out of my pocket without my noticing it.

Howdy,

Ive lost two clip knives. Just reach down and its gone.

I took the clip off my current carry, then put it back on so I can use the clip if needed.

Benchmade mini griptillian. And you can build one to your own spec.

Colors, and bright or black hardware.

Ive considered purple and black 'Batman' knife....just haven't done it.

I sharpen knives with crock sticks. I look at the edge and when it disappears, its sharp.

If you can see the edge its NOT sharp enuf.

Best

CR

I have went to buying folding box cutter knives for the type of stuff you are doing and save my pocket knife.

With them it is easy to always have a razor sharp blade and you can use it for tasks that you would never consider using a nice pocket knife for. They are relatively inexpensive so if you loose it is is not such a big deal and if it breaks it will not make you cry.

Most important is to get one that allows changing blades without tools and that holds the blade securely.

I have several I bought from home depot about 10 years ago that I really love but unfortunately they are no longer made.

I have went to buying folding box cutter knives for the type of stuff you are doing and save my pocket knife.

With them it is easy to always have a razor sharp blade and you can use it for tasks that you would never consider using a nice pocket knife for. They are relatively inexpensive so if you loose it is is not such a big deal and if it breaks it will not make you cry.

Most important is to get one that allows changing blades without tools and that holds the blade securely.

I have several I bought from home depot about 10 years ago that I really love but unfortunately they are no longer made.

In a different life I had to cut quantities of paper that dulls a knife quickly. The above was my solution too. If you should have to cut meat in a social situation it cuts long and wide but not too deep.

Case makes a single-blade liner-lock knife, with a thumb-bob for one-hand opening. Nice, slim knife available with or without a clip and either stainless or carbon-steel blade. I suggest the carbon steel (CV or chrome vanadium) blade, as it takes an edge easy and holds it longer. The CV steel blade will take on a patina and does require minor maintenance, but is much better.

I've carried this one for a long time. Very well-made. Comes with yellow grip scales...very attractive. About $100 or maybe a bit less at True Value Hardware or maybe Ace Hardware.

Model Number: 3154L CV - Made in USA. Blade is just over 3" and overal length, closed, is just over 4".

Here's a picture:

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA111/Case-Yellow-Synthetic-TrapperLock-4-18-inch-Closed-3154L-CV

You didn't put down a price range or if you want a self opener or manual.

It makes a big difference.

I've carried a knife ever since I was a Boy Scout a long time ago. I really see no need for a knife costing more than about $50 or so mostly because I will either break it or loose it. For me the design of the knife is more important than the price. I have passed on a lot of good knives because of what to me is poor design. I want a knife that hangs securely in my pocket but isn't to tight to deploy one handed, I want it to hang so that as I draw it the thumb stud falls right under my thumb. The last thing you need in a fight for your life is to have to rotate the knife to get it open, most knife designers seem to be ignorant of this necessity and put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife. You must be able to open the blade one handed either by spring assist or with a flick of the wrist every time.

I have found the Beretta Airlight to fit my needs but they have gotten very expensive and hard to find since they have been discontinued.

I carry my knife on my weak side and I practice drawing and opening it every time I remove it from my pocket.

My S&W Baby SWAT has held up very nicely over the last 15+ years I've carried it. The best $25.00 I ever spent! Rugged, holds an edge well and easy to re-sharpen when necessary.

* And the clip is as tight as the day I bought it. It's never loosened.

If your primary use is feed sacks, pacckages, etc, I would recommend a folding razor knife. I have one by Dewalt. Folds in half, has a clip, has extra blade storage, the blade is retractable, and I've had it/abused it for over 5 years and it has held up well. I worked in a farm and fleet store as well as an oil field shop where I was constantly opening boxes and cutting shrink wrap. It was a tool that got used many times a day, every day. It is a lot easier to flip around a blade or put in a new one than it is to constantly be putting your edge back on your knife. I still use that knife, but as my job has changed, so have my needs for a knife. I usually use my benchmade griptillian, but the Dewalt still gets used and has its place.

If you're wanting to stick to a conventional pocket knife, you can't go wrong with SOG, Kershaw, or Benchmade.

I tried a Kershaw, biggest piece of crap and waste of money. I had it a week and the blade broke. I only ever used it to cut open boxes. My Gerber has held up cutting sheetrock, shaving and splitting small pieces of wood, etc. Couldn't talk me into having a Kershaw if you gave it to me.

I tried a Kershaw, biggest piece of crap and waste of money. I had it a week and the blade broke. I only ever used it to cut open boxes. My Gerber has held up cutting sheetrock, shaving and splitting small pieces of wood, etc. Couldn't talk me into having a Kershaw if you gave it to me.

That doesn't sound like any Kershaw I've used. IMO, either you got a defective product that QC didn't catch or you were sold a counterfeit. I've got a buddy that was in the Marines in Iraqi Freedom. He carried a Kershaw overseas. Still has the same knife. It's all he had ever used until one of his military buddies showed him a SOG last year.

When buying a quality knife, beware that there are dozens of cheap fakes being made in China and marketed here. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably counterfeit.

When buying a quality knife, beware that there are dozens of cheap fakes being made in China and marketed here. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably counterfeit.

+1 on that.

I don't know about the other manufacturers, but Benchmade has their "Life Sharp" program. As long as you own it, you can send it in for a new factory edge free of charge, minus shipping there. Before they do any work, they take it apart and look for their proof marks. If you were sold a counterfeit, you just lost your knife, as they destroy/dispose of all counterfeits on site.

Archived