SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Supreme Coach Gun, Choke Question

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

This gun comes stock with Modified Cylinder and Improved Cylinder chokes. Is the collective wisdom here that cowboys with this gun tend to run those chokes as is or is the better play to change to something more open?

Thank you in advance.

Most people run them as is. I have never seen one modified, and any changes to the choke could not be visible externally

The ranges I shoot at do not need chokes. Modern 3gun yes as the targets are out a ways.

Yes Sir, I know I don't need the chokes but the gun comes that way. I guess I'm asking if there is a disadvantage to using them the way they come from Stoeger or if I should switch to Cylinder which is essentially wide open.

Thank you.

When I was running Stoegers, my cowboy pards advised me to get straight thru's from Goatneck Clem, which I did.

When I was running Stoegers, my cowboy pards advised me to get straight thru's from Goatneck Clem, which I did.

I'm the odd ball. I run modified in both barrels of my Baikal.

20160608_180607_zpsipv9hjur.jpg

I only have one shotgun with interchangeable choke tubes and it's a Mossberg 500 I keep loaded with buckshot behind a door.

But I do pattern my shotguns to see, one, how they are pattering, and two, where they are pattering. Some of my old doubles shoot a ragged hole at 10 steps. Some shoot low. I like about a 12" pattern at knockdown distance.

The advantage to changing from your original chokes that are supplied with the Stoeger when purchased to either Skeet & Skeet or Cylinder & Cylinder are two fold. First it will give you a larger shot pattern and secondly the most advantage you will find is felt recoil. I know all you tough guys will say that recoil doesn't bother me. Here is the bottom line less recoil gives your second shot accusation much quicker times. Think about this in a 10 Stage Match if you shave half to 1 second off your time per second shot accusation you add that times 10 Stages and see what you come up with. Little food for thought

Goatneck

Yep, most folks would follow GC's advice and grab a couple of open choke tubes for that gun.

A REALLY long shotgun target anymore would be a bird at 20 yards. Which is what cylinder choke does well.

Stick the original, fuller tubes in your bag in case you want to shoot Cowboy Trap or Sporting Clays at a big match sometime.

Whatever you do, do not just take the original tubes out and shoot past the open threads. You will damage those threads to where they cannot be used.

Good luck, GJ

Another advantage of cylinder chokes is when shooting shotgun pop-ups (soda cans, charcoal briquets and clays). With the larger pattern from the cylinder chokes they are easier to hit.

I put cyl chokes in both barrels of both of my Stoegers. First gun, I bought chokes from Stoeger, but they were expensive. Second gun, the Winchokes I bought had to be ground down a tad (at the threaded end) to fit flush with the muzzles.

I don't quite get what you're telling me here.

Replacement chokes are "Winchokes".

You can buy them at you local gun shop, Bass pro, Cabelas, Sportsman Warehouse.

NEVER SHOOT A SHOTGUN THAT IS THREADED FOR CHOKES WITHOUT A CHOKE SCREWED IN.

Cylinder bore chokes are readily available. Anything more open than this may result in unreliable patterns.

Stoeger's take Win-chokes or Browning std. Invectors. Same chokes in every dimension. They also fit Weatherby's, Mossberg 500's, and Savage shotguns.

I did extensive patterning with my Stoeger after purchasing it and found that IC chokes yielded the best overall patterns for our game. They provide adequate shot concentration to get enough shot on the KD targets to take them down solidly, and yet are open enough to work well on poppers. I found Skeet chokes simply too open with sparce patterns, and Modified chokes were simply too tight, giving very small, (very dense but small diameter), patterns. After nearly 7 years, my opinion has not changed.

RBK

Is shoot a 20ga sxs because of recoil issues. I run brass hulls,3/4oz shot, loaded so low they make factory low noise low recoil loads sound like magnums! I have a double full set of screw in chokes and vary them per match requirements. I usually run full/full which gives me 10-12 inch patterns with 75-80% with reclaimed shot at 20ft and pretty much will knock 'em down if'n ah hits 'em. IC opens things up to about 16-18 inches for 70% and may or may not flatten them but works great for tagging flying targets. So, if all we have is knock downs it is f/f, pop-ups get f/ic, etc. Works for me anyway and does not tear up my arthritic hands or shoulder or back!

YMMV

I have a Stoeger Supreme with the chokes as well. I notice a difference in spread at SASS distances and do sometimes miss (which I blame on the chokes ;) ). I might try the CYL chokes from Carlson as they're pretty cheap on Brownells.

Archived