SASS Wire Forum

I think it's time to pull the plug...

Hmm.... most excellent advice.

I actually met with my healthcare provider (Kaiser Permanente) member services yesterday. As of last month I'm Medicare age, and have started the process to continue with their Medicare supplemented "Senior Advantage" program, which is actually quite good - very close to what I already have.

Wonder where one would find a Social Security Disability attorney... Google time!

Thanks, Allie!

That's encouraging!!

I'll be setting up an appointment with the SSI folks real soon - need to do that anyway to get the Medicare thing going...

Ya know, this gettin' old stuff ain't for the faint of heart! ^_^

When the guys at work tease me about being old, I tell them "anyone can live to a young age. It take fortitude to

be able to live to an old age." hope things work out!

I think I've reached the end of my rope.

I'm one of those people who've posted here in the past about workplace woes... and today was what may have been the final straw....

I can relate.

For 19 years I had a government job. Elected officials decisions were usually based on which way the political wind was blowing. I stayed oringinaly because I need a job and had a young family to photo identification for. I worked my way up Town Manger. When I learned my right hand man conspired with a elected official to get my job, I smiled and keep my mouth shut. When I had another job lined up ( twice the pay half the hours) I handed in my resignation. I didn't burn any bridges by telling them what I really thought. Gave my right hand man exactly what he wanted, he lasted 2 years.

Been at my present job for 20 plus years. Remember when John Wayne was behind the hay with his grandson, getting shot at by the kidnappers? Grandson was scared. John Wayne said he was scared to but he was going not to let the kidnappers know it. I use the same principle at work. A few coworkers have narsistic personalities and love to lay into others. Using JW example I smile and ignore them, drives them nuts. To get my blood pressure back to normal I'll look at the time on my iPhone. Timer is counting down from when all my financial goals will be met. I could retire now but my stubbornness and long term goals haven't been meant.

Don't take your management attacks as personal. They must have a horrible life that the only thing to make them feel better about themselves is try to bring others down to their level. Take a walk, think about you long term goals, smile and take a deep breath. And then...on the day you can afford too...time of your choosing, say "Bye."

Hardpan:

Are your skills, by any chance, applicable to a home-based business? I realize that it's not for everyone, but I have never felt better since I walked out of my old firm and opened a new shop with two friends. We all work from home, do the same work we did before (but now for ourselves), have no commute, and make more money than we did when we had to share with the bosses.

If you can make it work (with a bit of imagination) it may be an answer to your dilemma.

Best of luck in whatever direction you ride.

LL

When your end comes, hopefully many years from now, and you are surrounded by loved ones, I promise you will not be wishing you could have worked a few more years. Retire, adjust your lifestyle and enjoy life.

I retired at age 55 and it took me 3 whole days to get use to it. No regrets.

Duff, I intend to do just that! Going to make an appearance at a Boy Scout Camporee here in a bit... then some tinkering, some domestic stuff, play with some of my sharp toys and tools, mebbe help the Kid play mechanic... :)

The rest of the week was tense; boss pretty much avoided me and was quite curt and terse when she couldn't. But I have the letter writ, at hand, waiting 'til the next attack. ;)

Loophole, I'm not sure if at this time I have any "home employed" skills; I'll have to do a self assessment. But hey... I'd be happy stocking shelves in a hardware store for a while. Mebbe part-time at Sportsman's Warehouse, or even Sur La Table. :D The important thing will be doing something that's less pressure and more enjoyable, working with people who aren't martinets.

Thanks, Allie!

That's encouraging!!

I'll be setting up an appointment with the SSI folks real soon - need to do that anyway to get the Medicare thing going...

Ya know, this gettin' old stuff ain't for the faint of heart! ^_^

I was surprised how accommodating the SS people are. In and out in one trip, retroactive benefits and all. Go for it!

No, you DON'T need a Social Security lawyer, unless there is something bizarre about your case, which sounds to be straight-forward. It's gonna take months if you file Social Security Disability, which your should, because it's your health that is causing you to quit. That's not lost time, however. When the case closes, you'll get a check dating back to when you became disabled.

Consider contacting the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. She is causing you not to be able to do your job by her treatment of you, KNOWING that you have a health issue. It won't cost you a dime, and they can issue a cease and desist order in nothing flat, and at the very LEAST it will alert the company offices that she is placing the company at risk. For that matter, screaming at an old man with a bad heart is probably assault, a criminal act.

You don't have to do ANY of this; but knowing you CAN will help, because you have power in the situation.

Hp

I can totally relarte. I had given 43 years of my life to the facility. My boss took a vacation and put me in as her 24hr supervisor. She had a bad trip or something, but she came back and started to berate me in front of everyone. She had never done this before. She threw documents at me and told me that it was all "properganda" and it was documents I had gotten from our on in house pharmacy. I had given my life to the job. I am taking 2 kinds of pain meds and 3 kinds of heart meds.

anyways long story short, she had been hollering at me and I started for my office across the hall. I never got to my office. I turned around and told her I was retiring in Jan. not in late sept. like I had been planning. I had so much time on the books that it did;t hurt me much at all. I retired at 61. I lost a couple of hundred a month but I was out of the place.

do I miss my clients...hell ya

do I miss the training I gave to new employees heck ya

do I miss the grief the bosses had been handing out daily..HELL no!

I retired in 2008/09. I had been there for 43 years. and the closed down the whole facility in Jan 2015.

I feel much better, and I hope you can make it work.

drop em a pm or email (acole30@twc.com) if ya need to talk about it.

yer pard Curley

To anyone who takes early retirement, I have a recommendation. Talk to a Social Security disability attorney about whether you would potentially qualify for disability benefits and follow up with an application.

If you are awarded disability while on early retirement, you will generally get more money monthly, and you will potentially be eligible for medicare sooner. Best of all when you reach full retirement age, your benefits will be full instead of reduced for starting your draw early.

If you lose, you are exactly where you are without the application-so there is really nothing to lose.

Under Social Security Disability guidelines, it is relatively easy to get disability at age 62 if you have any significant health problems.

Does flatulence qualify? There are some days no one wishes to work with me.

I encourage you to explore the SS disability route. A friend of 40+ years was a self employed locksmith and at age 60 suffered a cervical spin injury at home. Even with prescription pain killers he was only able to work 9 AM to noon in the business. He couldn't do calls. His daughter & son-in-law who were his long time employees bought the business. He had applied for SS disability primarily to get medicare that saved him hundreds of dollars a month for medical insurance. Also, I have have the opposite of your work experience. It wasn't the work environment that made my decision to retire at age 66. I still do consulting for them. It was the 50 mile 1+ hr. each way commute that left me so tired by Friday evening that Saturday was lost to resting. My sleep apnea disappeared after retiring. I would expect your health to improve when the stress of work is gone.

P.S. KP has provided excellent cardiac care for myself, a long time friend & brother in-law. They use the highest rated hospitals for open heart surgery.

Quite frankly, I think that YOU have the upper hand. If she starts in on you, start right back. Tell her in a loud, clear voice, (not yelling, but so it carries), What you think of her, her "leadership" style, her competence, her ignorance, and anything else that comes to mind. What's she going to do, FIRE YOU?

I turned 62 this June, and I made it known that I wasn't ready to retire, but if they pi, annoyed me, I would. Somebody said that that kind of talk might get me fired. I told them,

"If you fire me, do you know what happens? My first stop on the way home is to the unemployment office. Tomorrow, I go to the Social Security office, When I'm done there, I head to the V.A. to apply for benefits there.

"Mean while YOU guys will be scrambling to come up with answers to the questions the Feds will be asking about why I got fired. (They do that when you file for unemployment). It's going to take two of you to get the work done that I do now. Your vacation schedule is shot, and overtime will go through the roof. While you're dealing with all that, I'll be sitting at home, sleeping late, sipping iced tea, and watching T.V. PLEASE fire me!"

A couple months later, the boss's boss, his boss, and HIS boss were in town. I was on vacation at the time, but when I got back, MY boss asked me about my retirement plans. I told him I'd probably work a couple more years, then let him know when it was time to replace me, and stay long enough to train him.

"As long as we don't pi annoy you" he said.

"Right".

Again, what's she going to do, FIRE YOU?

No you might not need a lawyer if your medical records demonstrate a disability that meets a listing or multiple ones that exceed the listings. Statistically, people with lawyers for representatives have shorter wait times and significantly higher success rates.

You can apply online at www.ssa.gov by yourself and can bring a lawyer in at a later date if you run into problems. If you look through their site long enough they tell you the rules and publish the listings and even give you access to the Program Operations Manuals-a smart fellow or gal could learn the entire business on their site.

I meet with individuals on a regular basis to educate them about how the system works and what they need to have to succeed. With folks age 62 and up I usually just tell them what it is going to take and let them try it on their own It's free to them and good relations for the firm and myself.

Note my inital post said to talk to a lawyer, not necessarily to hire one.

Thanks, all... I never expected such a wealth of advice... and very much appreciate that as well as the good wishes!

Quite honestly, I'd never even considered disability, nor filing any sort of charges against the outfit... I'm just not a vindictive sort at all. I'm thinking more of a "good riddance!" kind of parting.

My "soft" plan was/is to leave, decompress a while, find a part-time job doing something relatively mindless for the next year (when I hit 66) and supplement the reduced income with savings, then doing the Social Security thing. Living frugally, I can make that happen. And heck ~ might even find time to shoot again! Sheesh... I don't think I've shot a match in nearly five years between work exhaustion and volunteering a thousand hours or so with Scouts every year.

Let's see now.... I think I have a Dillon out in the garage somewhere... and as I recall, two or three sets of six-shooters in the back of the safe... :rolleyes:

But I will be making that appointment with the SS office in the next few days.

Excelsior!! ^_^

Do not leave your job. If you have to ask about retirement you shouldn't retire. Document this incident including how this person made you feel and her continued harassment. Contact an attorney to see if you have an age discrimination venue to sue. You can bet your ass she's going to notate your personnel record. HR is NOT your friend! HR is damage control for management and the corporation.

I retired and wish I had not. There is a lot left in me. My tactic (and I was in a position to do this) was to turn a discussion like this around. I got one VP fired, while I motored on. But, choose your fights, as they say. If you let anyone get by after an unjust assault, you become s target. Never apologize, but get an apology, instead. She may have been given a mandate to force you into retirement (due to your age and salary range) or build a phony history in your record of errors, omissions, etc., that's why it may be critical for you to consult with an attorney.

Good info. Contact an attorney!!!

Appreciate the suggestion, guys, but staying isn't an option.

It would literally kill me.

And I have a lot of life left in me, too... but want to enjoy what is left.

Hardpan!! You should file for disability!! When you do it, go through a lawyer that specializes in this type of case!! Saves time AND aggravation, and generally speeds the process. You will likely receive full benefits and it will automatically roll into regular SS when you reach target age.

I live in Sparks Nevada near Reno. No state income tax. Gun friendly laws including CCW. Lots of good transplanted Conservative Californians. Lower cost of living and property values. I sold my mortgaged California house and bought a house here for cash with my proceeds. Several SASS clubs within easy driving distances. Good airport. Lots of fun stuff to do here. It is close enough to visit family if you need to.

We sold our home in California and bought the "new" home in Prescott Valley for 2/3 of what we got for the old place. Even though we could have paid the full price up front we DID finance the new home on the advice of my well trusted financial advisor. Took a three year mortgage to cement out credit in PV. Just passed the two year mark day before yesterday and decided to wait the last year out. The difference was invested (I haven't touched a penny of it) and it earned me a lot more than the substantial increase in property value.

Think about the ways you can make it work... and please do come for a visit whenever you can.

PM sent.

I do not know about disability but there are other things I did learn.

Note: be careful what disabilities you claim. SS had been sharing info with ATF who then can limit or take away your right to gun ownership or possession.

My advice is a little different and is based on my perspective and knowledge of Ontario,Canada, labour laws.

If you have any kind of Disability Insurance, look into that. You sound depressed and that is a condition apparently brought on by the workplace atmosphere. You could be off recovering for some time at 70% of your wages or salary.

You should also seek expert legal advice about a toxic work place environment.

If the upper echelons of your company knew or knows about your issue or ones like it and ignores the problem, you could end up with a significant buy out or settlement.

As a supervisor and boss of many years, I would never have behaved as you described yours has. In fact, my employer used to send newly appointed managers on courses to ensure things like this did not happen. If they did, the manager was the one on the carpet.

Oh and don't just quit. That just works in your bosses favour

Haaaaa.... Charcoal, I haven't heard that in over 30 years! :lol:

Cliff and Henry, that bit of advice is spot on. I have a good friend who... well, I won't go there. ;)

Okay, status: The boss has been gone this week, and the place has been quite peaceful. I have an appointment with Social Security on November 17... and in the meantime keep my LOR ("Letter of Resignation") at hand.

Meanwhile... and no, I absolutely would not do this, but it's fun to hum along during the day. :)

Lots of good suggestions already! Here is one more:

HP, you can surely pull the plug, but do it on your own terms and timing, not someone else's. You will not be at peace with yourself until you can do something to change those dynamics and get out of the corner into which you have been backed. Turn the words around onto her! Being on the defensive is immobilizing! Stop doing that and go on the offensive. Sounds like you are taking it home with you; however, you can rest assured the other person is not! She is self absorbed.

Honestly, I have seen people act completely shocked when attention is turned around to confront their bad behavior instead of answering their questions. They don't know how bad it is, or that they are even doing it until you start asking them questions. Perceive yourself as calm and in control of your thoughts and emotions.

It's a card game--keep your poker face and don't show your hand!

Confrontational people are often hard driving when looking for answers that they themselves do not have the ability to figure out! It's just easier to find someone to blame. Their own frustration causes them to pick on others incessantly, and then push it past the limits of human decency and reason. It indicates a serious lack of management skill. Degradation is the weakest way to communicate with peers. They do it because they get something out of it--there has to be some kind of trade-off for them to put so much energy into being so toxic. Usually it is bedded in insecurity--to feel more important at your expense. Luckily, they usually move on to the next thang in a day to two if they don't get the response they're seeking.

I have been intimidated in many careers and jobs, and each one was a lesson in human behavior and relations. All of them taught me something--sometimes only that there are some demented folks out there.

While a letter carrier, I fought and won 3 EOE cases. I quickly learned to keep in mind when the supervisor jumps on you, they have been thinking about it for hours or days, and usually come at you with a planned attack. Additionally, they expect an answer right that second! Don't fall for that.

Please, step outside the moment and recognize behavior traps so you won't react to them. Strategize instead!

Say to her in your calm voice, knowing you are in control, and looking her straight in the eye--and up close if you can:

"It wasn't I", or "I don't know", or "I'll think about it and get back to you" and continue working. This will give you a chance to compose your thoughts and a response. If you wait long enough, she may get busy and forget! ... and if she does come back, you can say you were busy, and forgot..."what was that again? I'm not sure what you mean, can you clarify that?" "When?" Don't run away. She is looking for that. She is just a person. Don't give her words importance in your life. Make yours be important to you.

Only say one of those above remarks once, and don't try to explain yourself. Then when the manager badgers you --you must push back:

"I already answered that question", "I don't have the answer you are looking for", "Please stop asking me." "I hope you figure it out". Be calm and controlled.

You must draw attention to their bad behavior to make their experience so dissatisfying they will not come back for more:

"You sound very upset", "Why are you raising your voice to me?", "Why are you following me?", "PLEASE DON'T BE RUDE TO ME", "Stop harassing me."

...and make sure others can hear you and see you so she won't make up a story if you are alone! In fact, stay around others when she talks to you, or make sure the office door is open. She is unprofessional. Let her know. There are laws to protect you.

Go with God and confidence--stand up for yourself in a kind controlled way.

Remember, when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change!

CC xo

Wow! CC, that is wonderful advice.

I had a manager who I thought "was out to get me." I mentioned that I was paranoid to my lead. She told me I wasn't being paranoid, the manager was out to get me. So, I went to manager and told her I didn't like the way she was treating me. I told her that I wanted her to know that I was giving her a chance to change this before I went to her manager about her behavior. Shortly after that, she was transferred and rumor has it that she did not do well where she went and was asked to retire, which she did.

I know this could have backfired if I hadn't had my lead's support and she had a great reputation.

Regards,

Allie.

Archived