SASS Wire Forum

I think it's time to pull the plug...

I think I've reached the end of my rope. :(

I'm one of those people who've posted here in the past about workplace woes... and today was what may have been the final straw.

In front of all my co-workers, the Boss comes to my desk and proceeds to quietly tear into me about a computer report she found next to a printer. Demanded to know why it was there; I told her I didn't know. Continued, asking how many times I'd walked past it and why I had not disposed of it. I told her again that I had not seen it; indeed I had sent the job to the printer, but ended up re-printing when the "job" didn't seem to work. It turned out that someone else had some from of special from stock loaded in the paper tray, and had pulled the report out as it was printed on her forms... I pointed this out to the boss, did not say WHO had taken it from the printer, and repeatedly told her that I had never seen the report. [by the way - printed reports are ALWAYS stacked next to the printer. At any time there will be several there.]

She continued to needle me. When I quietly told her that I didn't appreciate being reprimanded for something I did not do, she stated that she wasn't reprimanding me and continued to do so. I repeated that I had not left the report there, and had indeed not seen it.

She continued to needle me. Over and over... then she asked me if we should have a discussion in her office. I honestly told her that would not be a good idea, because I might say something she wouldn't want to hear.

I asked her to hand me the report and told her I'd shred it right then; she followed me into the shredder room and continued to berate me.

I was literally so upset - mad - at this point that I started to shake as if I had a serious palsy. I told her I couldn't finish the day, and left the office. Sat in my car for a while to calm down, drove home. I honestly think that if I hadn't been on all the heart meds I would've left on a gurney.

It was something similar - with the same boss - that put me in the cardiac ward a year ago. I'd hoped to last into next year, not wanting to sign up for Social Security 'til I hit 66.... but I really don't think I'd make it. Every time this woman comes near me I can feel my BP going up and palms sweating.

So... can anyone tell me what life's like when you're 65 years old, and quit after 21 years with the outfit?

Do not leave your job. If you have to ask about retirement you shouldn't retire. Document this incident including how this person made you feel and her continued harassment. Contact an attorney to see if you have an age discrimination venue to sue. You can bet your ass she's going to notate your personnel record. HR is NOT your friend! HR is damage control for management and the corporation.

I retired and wish I had not. There is a lot left in me. My tactic (and I was in a position to do this) was to turn a discussion like this around. I got one VP fired, while I motored on. But, choose your fights, as they say. If you let anyone get by after an unjust assault, you become s target. Never apologize, but get an apology, instead. She may have been given a mandate to force you into retirement (due to your age and salary range) or build a phony history in your record of errors, omissions, etc., that's why it may be critical for you to consult with an attorney.

My Good Hardpan -

I just pulled the pin myself, July 7. Similar reasons, but I only made it to 62 1/2. In our case The deciding factor was that I could get SocSec at 62 and it will cover the hgh cost of private health care. All our other expenses are nicley covered by ira, 401K & savings earmarked for retirement. We would have done it sooner, but the Health Insurance has been a nightmare with providers pulling out left & right. I was trying tomake it to 65 ofr medicare & buy supplemental, but the dayjob turned into a beurocractic nitpicking nightmare with the people being judged by automated "metrics". Can't tell you the number of times they dinged hitting senior staff over "breaks" - and did not care that you constantly worked late to take care of yours and other's workload.

As Cat relates, the new method is to irritate the living s**t out of senior staff until they quit on their own.... or die.

either way "the outfit" does not have to pay severance, unemployment, etc etc and can replace high paid seniors with fresh blood making 1/4 the wage, and who are willing to be abused slaves just for a job.

So... can anyone tell me what life's like when you're 65 years old, and quit after 21 years with the outfit?

What is life like? If you have worked the numbers and can afford it, "Life" is pretty much the same, only better!

and without the %#$%# !

and a lot more time for sleep, Cowboy stuff, fixing the homestead, taking care of Mrs Marvel, etc etc.

I can run out for errands or to the zoo or museum or event or show ANY TIME, not when the dayjob slavemaster allows.

I eat lunch when I want and take as long as I want. same for heading to the outhouse, and no one counting how many "breaks" you took.

Remember, "The Outfit" doesn't care a pin about you, and You are not your JOB .

What you "do" only defines what fills your time.

Find fullfillment elswhere!

Some folks look for part time work in a field they are really passionate about - volunteer ( or paid) "docent" or a guide in a museum, or in a hospital or whatever...

hope this helps

prof marvel

Thanks, Y'all...

Cat, it's not a matter of trying to stay - I don't want to end up in the cardiac ward again. And I already have a thick folder full of documentation of similar or worse events over the years. I've been "fighting the good fight" for some time, and just ain't got no fight left.

And as far as retirement goes, well... I'll need to find a job. I'm sure that'll be a challenge at my age, but hey ~ 25 years ago I held a Vice President grade job with a Fortune 10 corporation. This job was s'posed to be something less stressful; mebbe next I'll stock shelves in a hardware store.

Now, what I'd really like to do would be to be one o' them dudes who sits in a tower watching for forest fires. emo31.gif

That or a cowboy... emo32.gif

But first... gotta figger out how to sign up for Medicare. emo28.gif

Hardpan,

It happened to me a couple months ago. My boss-"Dumbass" as we called him; thought he should drive for 3 hours to meet me in a McDonald's parking lot and chew me at high volume for using my FREE cell phone minutes. His boss knows nothing of what we do in the field and she was even more abusive to those of us who were good at our job, as we just made her look stupid with her comments as she had absolutely no idea what we do for a living. When he said I didn't even deserve the raises I had gotten by going over his head; I left the scene and did one more job to take care of a contractor and then gave him an hour to come and get his car. I was fortunate to have a retirement account from a career in the phone company and with SS I will be fine. It sure is nice to be finally getting things done at home again. After a typical 14 hour day, I didn't even feel like mowing the grass. The homestead was starting to look abandoned! I'm loving retirement and think you might be on the right track with stocking hardware shelves. Just figure out what you need to live and go for it. The cardiac ward sure isn't worth the abuse in my opinion. Since I left -"Dumbass" has cost the company over $400K in damages due to his lack of ability to cover my old area and I am just grinning.

Best of luck to 'ya,

EH

Dear Hardpan,

I completely understand your situation. I am in a similar place. The best advice I can give is do what's best for your health because the company won't.

You've got a shoulder here when you need one.

Hugs,

CK

Cardiac arrest isn't worth sticking around,Hardpan. I retired at 55 with 35.5 years at the "broom factory"( which even isn't functioning now). With SS and a pension, and now a part time job, I'm doing okay. Much less stress and fresh air( part time job is mostly out doors) :blush:

Howdy,

I have a different suggestion.

Take a vacation.

If you have anywhere near two weeks of vacation coming, take it.

Leave town, go out west at least 500 miles from work.

Don't answer any phones. Relax. Play tourist.

This will let you unwind, recharge your energy and gain fresh perspective.

Two weeks at least, not just a few days or a week.

If the boss objects tell boss that it is obvious you must have a vacation.

Look at the terrible job you did yesterday.

Use the boss own words to get the heck outta there for two weeks.

Rest. Travel. Maybe consider a totally different lifestyle.

Best

CR

I pulled the plug at age 60. The job had been good until the last few years, when our department head and my immediate supervisor were two of the biggest dead beats on Gods green earth. Of course, since they knew all the dodges none of their employees was going to pull any of what they had done on them! For me, the deciding factor was that my Army Reserve retirement kicked in, and with all the active duty I had served was enough to survive on, and it also provided health insurance. All those "wasted weekends when you could have been working overtime and getting more money...." finally started to pay off.

After I retired I found that I had more money, due to less job related expenses and fewer visits to the doctor. The stress relief is just unbelievable!

The extra Social Security for working another year is not worth your life. As for another job, places like Home Depot prefer to hire older employees because they do not have to set back as much for retirement and other benefits for them. You could work the sporting goods counter at Wal-Mart if you need to, for instance.

What ever you do, our prayers are with you. Keep us posted and feel free to vent your frustrations here.

Duffield

I've got 1 year and two months 'til I pull the plug for the 3rd and final time. I'll be 62.

Two questions to throw at you: 1) how's your budget for retirement? 2) Do you have a hobby to keep you busy during your retirement?

If you can afford to retire and have something to keep you from watching soap operas all day, then retire. Your health should be one of your greatest concerns.

Good luck,

Barry Sloe

I was self employed for over 40 years. That means I had to deal directly with my customers. Some pleasant, most not.

June 23 2013 I found myself with no promised work and nothing in the shop. My wife was my only employee and I told her I was tired. She agreed. I said, "Let's quit". We turned the computers off, the lights out and closed the doors.

I was over 70 years old and had never been without a job to go to in my entire life, so it was obvious that I would have to get a job or go crazy. It took me two whole weeks to get over that crazy idea.

I did find that I had to cut back a bit on my "life style" because of lower income but the freedom was well worth it.

I did retain the Medicare Supplement insurance I had had since age 65 so medical issues are not a problem.

I would suggest you consider that every day you continue to work for "the man" is another day lost that you could have been doing something you like.

Those days are numbered and you had best grab them while you can.

I retired for a different reason, but the idea of what am I going to do now is still the same.

I got cancer and survived 2 major surgeries, 2 chemo/radiation programs and was told I had a 1 in 10 chance to live another 5 years. I kept working and the 5 years went by and the Drs said "Looks like your going to make it". I was 58 and decided to pull the plug and live the rest of MY life. It's been 0ver 20 years since I beat cancer and I've been retired 16 1/2 years. Left the big city, moved to another state and enjoy every day I have left. Sure I don't have the income I did when I worked, but we still do well and don't lack for anything we NEED.

Think hard my friend, you have the rest of your life to live...................

One of the best days in my life was when my micromanaging, just out of grad school, boss, came in and told me we had a meeting with "The Big Boss" and that I had better be able to defend all the job quotes I had just prepared. I handed her "The Letter", and told her I wouldn't be going to anymore time wasting meetings. The look on her face was priceless. And then, a great feeling of peace came over me. Found a job in camera sales and made just as much money as I had working for the State. With a lot less stress, by the way. Finally retired several years after that when the camera store went belly-up. (Is not my fault.) My point is, that if you are in such a stressful situation that it is affecting your health, you need to get out. Have faith that the Good Lord will open other doors for you,

Another thought,

I see you live in California, so I assume you own your home or other property. You could sell that high priced real estate and move someplace with a lower cost of living (like Missouri or Arkansas) and find yourself in a more gun friendly state to boot.

One of my veterinary clients was a Los Angeles policeman who rented out his LA home and lived comfortably on that income just outside of town here in Springfield. He was 40 years old, and seemed to enjoy being out of the pressure cooker.

I retired at 69, having started over from scratch at age 58. I'm loving' it!

You have several options as i see it, all with pros and cons.

1) Speak to a labor relations attorney. Determine if you have a case. The positive is that you could quite possibly have a successful suit against the company. The negatives are that if you're experiencing heart issues at this stage, you need to understand that litigation is a time consuming very high stress matter for most people. Also, even if your attorney agrees to work on a contingency fee, there will be costs involved, such as filing fees, that can get expensive.

2) Speak to HR and or her boss. The positive is that this is quick, direct, and easy. It should be formalized and a record made. The negative is that it may not go anywhere, and may cause her to attack you further, often indirectly. It can create a toxic work environment.

3) Take that vacation. It may allow you to get your batteries recharged and be better able to handle the job. The negative-you have to go back to the job.

4) Put in your two weeks. Quit and look for a new job. Positive is obvious, it gets you out of the environment. The negative is that it means looking for a new job, Finding one at your age, and becoming low person on the totem pole at a new job, and all that goes with it. There is a website for people over fifty looking for jobs, and other resources that can be helpful.

5) Retire. Take a realistic look at your finances and determine what retirement will mean for you. If you have to take on a part time job, it may very well be in retail. I can attest that retail is a headache all its own, but it is by far the least stressful job I have held as an adult. Expect pay to not be that great.

Whether a move should go with the retirement is something you would need to decide, based on your needs, desires and financial situation.

Sometimes, Pan, you just have to say to hell with it, throw everything up in the air, and walk out from under it.

I retired at 62 without any pension at all, just Unsociable Insecurity..... and wouldn't do anything different today.

Good luck.

PS, Prescott Valley is a really good place for getting your stress levels under control. Maybe you could come up for a visit and check it out.

Pull the plug and get out. There is absolutely NO employment worth a visit to the "Cath Lab" and a wonderful week in a Cardiac Care Unit. Ask me. Been there. Done that. Got a special pin for the Helicopter Ride. Check with HR. Bet with 20 plus years, your eligible for some form of retirement. If not ...... who cares.

If your over 62, your eligible for SS. If you keep saying "wait until" and get hit by a Muni Buss tomorrow, you accomplish what?? I was forced by medical conditions to retire 6 years ago. I had, at that time, no intention of retiring. While laying in a hospital bed, recovering, my Sweetheart looked up from her Burger (we were having lunch) and said "Your Done." No if, no and, no Maybe, just a simple "Your Done." As a card carrying Alpha Male I immediately argued with a strong .... Yes Mam!! I haven't looked back even for an instant. Disney world twice a year. Shoot every weekend in season if I want. I NEVER again will have to beg and plead for time off or for a couple of extra days of vacation.

I do not have to cow tow to ANY overbearing "Cement Head." Retirement does have a drawback. Nobody wants to buy your now useless alarm clock :) Anyone who suggests you "hang in there" is a fool.

Coffinmaker

Dearest Hardpan,

I totally believe you and understand your situation. I retired at 55 because I could no longer stand the "culture" in my workplace. That was the first year I could collect my retirement at that pay grade (one year after the last promotion). A previous manager of mine did the same thing. I could write pages about the problems with things there. I prefer to just put it behind me.

If you are financially able, do it.

Keep us posted, we care!

Sincerely,

Allie

I worked for a person that would belittle me in front of everybody once. I swore I would never let it happen again. Right now I am in a good place with a good job, but one can never know what may change may come tomorrow. If I was in your place and your age, I would make her look like a total fool in front of all upper management and walk out. Go down the street, walk in the hardware store and help those without a clue on how things work and never look back. Sooner or later she will get what she has coming, and I hope you are around to see it. Put yourself first, as I learned not to long back that you are the only one how can do that and we all deserve to be first at some point in our lives. There are a lot of cheaper places to live and enjoy your life as we all have expiration dates. The best thing to do is to make sure you enjoyed your life before that date arrives. Good Luck.

Maddog McCoy

CA being CA, there should be a number of state agencies that could help and I expect some of them will be very eager to help.

Do the math !

I retired at age 63 (2 months before being 64) because my SS monthly income was only about $16 LESS than if I had waited till I was 65.

And the amount I started receiving at that time equalled xxx dollars over the time span (14 months) until I would have been 65.

If I had waited until I was 65, I would have received a little more per month (approx $16), but it would have taken me about 14-15 YEARS at the age 65 rate, to make up the difference I started receiving at age 63 (2 months before my 64th BDay.

Do the Math and you may find out that retiring early isn't such a hard decision, especially if its just SS that you are relying on.

I hope I explained this well enough to understand.

Best regards

..........Widder

Thanks to you all... Wonderful encouragement!

Well... as far as pensions, we have a pretty lousy plan - I'll get a lump sum disbursed at year-end equal to a bit under a year's earnings. After that, it's SS and whatever I can make with part-time jobs. But I do have some savings... that'll tide me over for quite a while.

For what it's worth, this is a quasi-governmental agency... trying to do "punitive stuff" is pretty much like spitting into the wind. Not worth it. (Actually, I'm not that type anyway).

And Forty ~ you're on my bucket list! :)

Talked with friends this morning down near Fort Huachuca... might be making a expedition trip next year. ;)

Hi Hardpan,

Just as a ....... comment. You don't do the "punitive stuff" for yourself. "Getting Even" never really tastes all that good. You do the "punitive stuff" for those pour sods you leave behind, stuck in the Cubicle Farm with no equitable way out.

Coffinmaker

Howdy,

One thing about retirement: YOU WILL HAVE time to shop for the same items cheaper.

Some stores ask DOUBLE for the SAME items.

Working folk don't have time to shop, they pay what looks fair and have NO idea how

screwed that the prices are.

Im talking same item same size, same everything, for one dollar vs two dollars plusorminus pennies.

And I wander thru the Goodwill stores and find items that are NO LONGER MADE at bargan prices.

I might as well have it as anyone, I pay cash and I usually tell em to keep the change.

American manufacturers have great designs, they discontinue them, but nearly new examples are at goodwill.

Go figure.

Second: you can find a part time job, low stress maybe even kind of fun. Work a few hours a week

and add as much as ten grand a year to your retirement.

One friend worked at a Laundromat. He opened at 8 am and worked till noon.

He did what he could, if a machine broke he put an out of order sign on it and told the owner.

He opened the front door, smiled and made change and helped out in little ways.

He had a high pressure sales job for a big company all his life and didn't seem to miss it.

One day he died.

He had a very nice retirement.

Best

CR

Another thought,

You might consider having a doctor put you out on a medical leave for a little while. That will give you the time to collect your thoughts, make sure you have everything in order and determine what you can, can't and won't do from here on out. That may give you the time you need to get a clear view of YOUR path ahead before you jump in.

I live in Sparks Nevada near Reno. No state income tax. Gun friendly laws including CCW. Lots of good transplanted Conservative Californians. Lower cost of living and property values. I sold my mortgaged California house and bought a house here for cash with my proceeds. Several SASS clubs within easy driving distances. Good airport. Lots of fun stuff to do here. It is close enough to visit family if you need to.

To anyone who takes early retirement, I have a recommendation. Talk to a Social Security disability attorney about whether you would potentially qualify for disability benefits and follow up with an application.

If you are awarded disability while on early retirement, you will generally get more money monthly, and you will potentially be eligible for medicare sooner. Best of all when you reach full retirement age, your benefits will be full instead of reduced for starting your draw early.

If you lose, you are exactly where you are without the application-so there is really nothing to lose.

Under Social Security Disability guidelines, it is relatively easy to get disability at age 62 if you have any significant health problems.

Archived