SASS Wire Forum

Divisional championships and regional realignment

Whiskey Kid

Because SASS gets cash from matches above the state level.

And the NRA gets fees from any sanctioned match, as do other disciplines. You sound as though you resent this? Organizations need money to operate, even if it means a profit to the organizers. We have a great organization that gives us the opportunity to play and commune with friends we may never have known. Like many others, I hope and pray that it can continue. Financial security is one of the keys.

Just a thought -

CR

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the NRA gets fees from any sanctioned match, as do other disciplines. You sound as though you resent this? Organizations need money to operate, even if it means a profit to the organizers. We have a great organization that gives us the opportunity to play and commune with friends we may never have known. Like many others, I hope and pray that it can continue. Financial security is one of the keys.

Just a thought -

CR

+1

Just a thought -

CR

No resentment, just facts. SASS needs all the cash it can get right now. SASS needs to determine the optimum number of matches above state championship it can have to create the largest number shooters. This includes the location of the matches. Having a regional match for example a great distance from the centroid of the shooter population in that region is not optimum.

Here is a thought.

Currently any SASS registered shooter, in good standing, can attend just about any of of the local, state, regional, divisional, national and world championship matches. Some states and the Regional and Divisional championships limit the category winner to that particular state, region or division. A shooter has to have a current address within the outlines of that State, Region or Division, in order to win that category championship.

Whereas, the National and World Championships open it to all SASS registered shooters from anywhere worldwide. No restrictions.

My suggestion is to open the Regional and Divisional championships category winners to any current SASS registered shooter in good standing from any current address worldwide.

For example, this would allow someone that is on the outside lines of a Regional or Divisional grouping, to attend that match due to a number of differing factors, such as....it being closer, a group of friends/shooters they prefer, weather, time of year, family school timeframe, cost factors, vacation travel trips, living outside the USA, etc....and they would be able to win that category regardless of their current address. or whichever region or division they are grouped in, just like the SASS National and World Championships currently do.

This would allow more flexible scheduling for a larger group of shooters to attend a wider number of desired shoots.

Oklahoma Dee

The whole point of a regional or a state map is so people who reside in that state or region to be able to be a champion at that level. That is why the tier structure was created.

Nothing wrong with cherry picking if you are the cherry picker and they are your trees, but people tend to get upset if you start picking from other peoples trees!

The whole point of a regional or a state map is so people who reside in that state or region to be able to be a champion at that level. That is why the tier structure was created.

Nothing wrong with cherry picking if you are the cherry picker and they are your trees, but people tend to get upset if you start picking from other peoples trees!

But that is part of the problem. I live in extreme Northern Tennessee. In every map I've seen I'm in the Southeast Regional, which puts me going to South Carolina for my regional event. There is a FAR greater likelihood of me going to the Mideast Regional in Middletown, OH. I'm not saying that Tennessee belongs in a different region by any means. But in my opinion we should be able to attend and win whichever regional is closest and/or a better time to attend. Call it Cherry picking if you want I don't care.

But that is part of the problem. I live in extreme Northern Tennessee. In every map I've seen I'm in the Southeast Regional, which puts me going to South Carolina for my regional event. There is a FAR greater likelihood of me going to the Mideast Regional in Middletown, OH. I'm not saying that Tennessee belongs in a different region by any means. But in my opinion we should be able to attend and win whichever regional is closest and/or a better time to attend. Call it Cherry picking if you want I don't care.

Next years SE regional match is in the Memphis area.

The Mid East region is going away.

I don't think we can assume we know where all the regional matches will be held in the future. Things change.

Next years SE regional match is in the Memphis area.

The Mid East region is going away.

I don't think we can assume we know where all the regional matches will be held in the future. Things change.

That's good to know. But we will still have the problem of folks living on the outer edges of an established region that may prefer to go to a closer regional than the one they're in. I should probably just shut up though as the likelihood of me attending one, much less winning, is slim to none.

Agree with Oklahoma Dee. A regional or divisional match deserves as many shooters as possible. Distance and costs make it tough to get time off work and raise expenses. Cody James just shot in the Western Divisional in Norco. He said it was so well run and the stages were a blast. We will be attending next year.

Just because I might could come to your state or region and win, doesn't make me the best from that state or region. You should represent you are from and let others represent their own areas. Not saying you shouldn't shoot those matches, just that you shouldn't be crowned champion of that area.

Just because I might could come to your state or region and win, doesn't make me the best from that state or region. You should represent you are from and let others represent their own areas. Not saying you shouldn't shoot those matches, just that you shouldn't be crowned champion of that area.

Absolutely!

I'm going to discuss this topic at or club this Saturday and turn in our vote and talking points.

But speaking of Regionals...This is our last year of hosting the SE Regional (near Charleston SC). We are close to making our max # of shooters for this match (300). If you are considering attending, please email your application to me and I'll sign you up; you can pay when you get here (ShamrockSadie@gmail.com).

http://givhansferry.homestead.com/

To Misty and the rest of the Wild Bunch.

Thank you for creating SASS and thanks for all you do to keep the organization going. SASS (and things like the SASS wire) are the glues that binds us together. Without the organization, this sport would not be what it is. Of course, any organization needs people -- and SASS attracts some of the best and nicest people we have the pleasure of knowing.

The truth is that about 90% of us never have been and never will be contenders (myself included). But that is not why I shoot SASS. It is fun, it is great entertainment and, you meet some really great people. I shoot SASS rather than pay a psychiatrist. It's cheaper and way more fun.

The Regional's, Divisional's and Annual matches are much more than just shooting. They are multi day events that include shooting, night black powder events,long range, costume contests, dancing, time with friends, pot luck dinners, fancy dinners, prizes, vendors, buying new cowboy stuff, finding new places to go, adventures along the way and much more.

I know they cost more and take more time, but if I've got to load the trailer -- I figure I might as well go for a couple more days and get the most fun and bang for the buck.

I'm not sure what advise I would give Misty and the Wild Bunch except keep trying and keep up the good work. It does not go unnoticed.

We were sad when 5 Dogs Creek gave up the California State Championship and it went to Sacramento but the 5 Dogs club had lost membership and could no longer support a major event. 5 Dogs, what a great Cowboy shooting range and what great memories. It's a long way but this year we have decided to travel to Sacramento in April for the 2017 State Championship in Sloughhouse.

Can't wait for the new adventure.

Misty, Keep up the good work.

Conejo

Wondering how the TG meetings went and what discussions came up this weekend about regional realignment at the big matches. Any TG's care to chime in?

Whiskey Kid

No body out there talking about this as to whether it's "A" or "B".

Mercy lots of folks would like to know and me being one of them.

What's the matter nobody cares any more???????

Jackrabbit #414

Wondering how the TG meetings went and what discussions came up this weekend about regional realignment at the big matches. Any TG's care to chime in?

Whiskey Kid

There was one at the SW Regional, They bantered about this subject...As I understand, not much was resolved.

Archived