SASS Wire Forum

03a3 help

evil dogooder

Picked up a sporterized 1903a3 for a good price. It's a shame because it's a nice rifle. It's there companies out there that make parts to restore these guns or do i need to search for original parts?

I'm trying to de-sporterize a MK III Enfield SMLE, and am having the same problems finding wood. Original stock sets, when they come up, are as much as some complete rifles are going for on the auction sites. I've found most of the hardware, as well as the upper wood, but I'm going to have to scab something onto the lower stock and make it match as best I can.

Good on ya, Evil!

There's a certain satisfaction unique to restoring an old firearm... and that alone is worth the effort, regardless of the expense to value rate.

Back around 1990 or so ol' Palouse gave me an '03 barreled action that had been poorly treated - his by now former inlaws had dismantled a perfectly good rifle with the intent of "sporterizing" it. They got as far as dumping everything military they could get off it, and buffing off the Parkerized finish. Then they became bored and set it aside for a few years, then gave it and one other to Palouse - he was generous and shared. :)

It took me over five years, but I finally managed to collect all the parts; Hank re-Parkerized it, and now it's as it should be. ;)

Top piece:

100_5442_zps3wmchhqt.jpg

numrich also sells parts.

I believe that's where I found the stock for my '03 (not -A3).

1903A3 Springfield Stocks

When it arrived, it looked like it had been whittled from a telephone pole, soaked with many decades of grease and grime.

I used the "Easy Off" method to clean it: Took it outside, sprayed it liberally with Easy Off oven cleaner, let it soak a while, rinsed, repeated, wiped down with a couple of old T-shirts, rinsed... and when dry, it was raw, bare wood, ready to take a new finish.

So Evil... have ya tried these folks for the wood you need? The Collector Source

Archived