SASS Wire Forum

Powder question for 45 LC reloaders

Dutch Coroner

Howdy- for RIFLE stuff, .45 Colt-

I favor 250gr LFP bullet, loved Clays powder, back when it wasn't unobtainium, learned to work with Trail Boss, even with it's desire to not meter well in my powder measure ( ok, it was like to give me an apoplexy ) . Found that mid range loads, crimped well, worked best as to accuracy, and no unburned powder in the bore, and fired cases were FAR LESS sooty.

Now for revolvers- prefer loads in Schofield brass- smaller case is more forgiving of lighter ( that is , between ridiculously little powder that no intelligent person would think should work well, and no, it does not , and mid range ) loads IF crimped well and hot enough primers are used ( I like Winchester's Large pistol Standard or Magnum primer , myself. Have never had one fail me ; my guns will set off CCIs reliably, though. Not blind to the truth that many guns out there have a Federal Only style of tune, which makes you "lock time" longer! But, I digress ).

And I'm seeing TB be unobtanium recently, too. That's one of the many reasons it was not on my recommended list to the OP.

If you want to really buy a powder and load, try 700-X, WST, Clay Dot, Red Dot (Promo). One of those is available at almost any on-line source right now.

Good luck, GJ

I use a book minimum charge of 700-X behind a 160 grain Badman RNFP in my .45's and haven't needed to clean guns in quite some time...

I know, I know, those're baby bullets but my arthritic wrists like 'em better than 200 grainers...

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Clays, Unique, even Bullseye (carefully) and a 250 gr. RNFP bullet, all of which produced grunge.

I now use Trail Boss, because I only load here in a Canadian winter (and avoid hibernation). Also, it was what I could find.

I get some grunge with TB, but, you will note I am a WARTHOG.​ so the charge I use does expand the case a bit.

300 rounds through any of my 73's (45 or 38) and they're always filthy. I've played with a bunch of powder loads and bullets over the years. And some are better than others. For me, the only thing that really made a bigger difference was shooting loads with hotter powder charges. (Which I don't prefer)

Even with that the 45lc is still a filthy shooter.

I'd find a Powder that meters well, with recoil and FPS that is comfortable to shoot. Just wipe the gun down after every couple matches.

My 2 cents. for what it's worth😉

Regards,

Ringer

Archived