SASS Wire Forum

purpose of AR pistols?

Trigger Mike

Just for fun

not really practical

toying with the idea of getting a PTR 32 or 91 pistol!

Actually if you want to build a SBR, the HK system based pistols make a lot sense. Once your paper work is approved, remove the but cap and replace with the proper but stock - simple as popping one or two pins, depending on the firearm your working with. A PTR 32 as a SBR would be really cool, there are also a lot of MP5 style pistols available now if you are looking for a pistol caliber SBR.

Well, you're technically not carrying it if it's in your truck. I frequently have my AR or Mini14in my truck too. But I'm "carrying" a 1911.

The only use I see for an AR pistol would be as a possible room clearing weapon on an assault team. But generally you want something that's able to be fired accurately from the shoulder for that.

Or just to have fun with on the range...which I can understand. :)

You are carring it if your in your truck 12 to 16 hours a day .

And in Michigan its illegal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle .

This way I have a loaded AR15 pistol as big as a SBR .

With a lot more fire power and range then my 1911 on my side :-)

Unless you can shoot s pistol, accurately, at 200 yards, it don't matter WHAT ammo it's chambered for, you don't have a "200 yard pistol".

Trust me from experiance, 200 yards all day suported, 5.56 10and1/2 in barrel...the ammo does matter, your not shooting a pistol caliber, your shooting something made to shoot better than a pistol at range, better sights, ammo made to travel that far and further..and the most important reason, they are a hoot!

Unless you can shoot s pistol, accurately, at 200 yards, it don't matter WHAT ammo it's chambered for, you don't have a "200 yard pistol".

Trust me from experiance, 200 yards all day suported, 5.56 10and1/2 in barrel...the ammo does matter, your not shooting a pistol caliber, your shooting something made to shoot better than a pistol at range, better sights, ammo made to travel that far and further..and the most important reason, they are a hoot!

A Strikeforce red , green dot and back up sights and a Sig brace !

I think Im more qualified at 200 yards then 99% of any one with a pistol !

.....and the most important reason, they are a hoot!

There ya go.

They make a heck of a repeating flash bang device. I'd always warn other shooters at the range when I'd fire my 7.5" AR. The muzzle blast is obnoxious and the muzzle flash is huge. It was a fun gun to shoot and while I never shot it past 100 yards, fast center mass fits were easy at that distance.

what is the purpose of the AR15 style pistols? how can they be as effective as the rifle or a normal pistol? I've seen .223 as well as 9mm.

When I built an SBR I first built it as a pistol so I could use it until the stamp came in.

Archived