SASS Wire Forum

purpose of AR pistols?

Trigger Mike

Need holsters.....cross draw and strong side. Bandolier for spare mags.

Because we are Americans and can have things that dont have a purpose. Like super big houses, cars that go over 80mph, etc, etc.

Really they are mostly for guys who dont want to SBR a rifle. This gives you a 7.5 or 10.5 barrel (or many other lengths) without having to form 1 the rifle. Now you can add any number of different stabilizers.

i keep thinking surely i need one but don't know the reason yet. they are too long to be used in a car compared to a pistol, too long to be concealed. too short to put by the bed. at the police Course Shotgun Skills that I took they taught us firing from the hip is a waste but i see them everywhere so i figure maybe I'm not thinking right and need one.

That is like asking what is the purpose of Cowboy Action Shooting? All our guns are obsolete, especially the BP guys. We don't shoot at any distance, we don't even put 6 in the pistols as it isn't always safe. And we use ammo that is downloaded so much that most of it isn't even a good self defense load anymore. But we do because we can, and some others can't and that is a good enough reason.

That is like asking what is the purpose of Cowboy Action Shooting? All our guns are obsolete, especially the BP guys. We don't shoot at any distance, we don't even put 6 in the pistols as it isn't always safe. And we use ammo that is downloaded so much that most of it isn't even a good self defense load anymore. But we do because we can, and some others can't and that is a good enough reason.

Obsolete? Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Obsolete? Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

I was thinking the same thing. I use my SxS for clays and would like another that isn't cut down for feathered critters. These obsolete guns took down numerous game when they were the latest and greatest of firearms technology. I know plenty that still choose to hunt big game with a 45-70. Our guns, while not the most practical for every situation, are far from obsolete.

I think they are kinda like those Conan the Barbarian swords you can get.

Fantasy fulfillment.

'Merica. :D

It's Saturday.
I got to work today.
I'm catching up on new threads before I have to head out the door.
My friends, one and all, thank you for this thread.

I got grins, laughs, nods and chuckles as I browsed through the several replies, and that's a grand way to start a workday!

Some states don't allow a free American to buy the right to have an SBR so an AR pistol, generally with a brace fills that need/want/whatever.

Guns are good. :)

A 223 out of a 11" barrel is still more powerful than a 9mm. Even a 7'5 barrel does that. A 11.5" barrel with a brace AR is just shy of 26" and handles nicely from inside a car. A DRaco (Pistol size AK with no stock, just a pistol grip/10" barrel) handles better and is my pick though I do like my AR pistol. Both are decently useable at 100Y and in to BB distance. Haven't had a chance to shoot them past 100Y but based on the group, I don't think it will be much of a problem however....that's not the intended purpose. Ever hear of a get-off-me gun? (Think tiny little mouse gun) an AR pistol could be considered a get-away-from-me gun..... :D:D:D

From the comments about a "car gun", I'm thinking more of the noise of a short-barreled 223 inside an automobile.

Bad guy on ground with blood leaking from chest as a result of gunshots.

Good guy leaning back in seat with blood leaking from ears as a result of ruptured eardrums.

When I was young and stupid I fired a 4" 357 from inside a car.

Hate to think what a 7" 223 would sound like.

you could put a silencer on it. then again, lets say you have a silencer but the bad guy does not. The silencer won't help you as you will go deaf from his . the solution seems to be that in the interest of hearing and the healthcare cost associated with all that noise that everyone should have a silencer.

as for in the car, if you have wind noise and traffic noise it should deaden some of the noise of the firearm. i have shot at rattlesnakes from my tractor and the engine noise drowns out the pistol noise a good bit.

you could put a silencer on it. then again, lets say you have a silencer but the bad guy does not. The silencer won't help you as you will go deaf from his . the solution seems to be that in the interest of hearing and the healthcare cost associated with all that noise that everyone should have a silencer.

as for in the car, if you have wind noise and traffic noise it should deaden some of the noise of the firearm. i have shot at rattlesnakes from my tractor and the engine noise drowns out the pistol noise a good bit.

The silencer would make it longer though so............:D;)

But it would also add to the Cool Factor.

Some would say so.

Some would not.

;)

Wait a minute, I wouldn't want to get hit with my cowboy loads!! In fact I wouldn't want to get hit with anyone's cowboy loads! As far as obsolete guns, what's wrong with defending yourself with a .45 Colt or .44-40 or even a ,38 Single action?? 10 rounds of .44-40 from a lever action rifle is not a bad defense weapon. I'm not talking about "war" here I'm talking about defending yourself.

Can they be fired from the horizontal angle like the cool guys in the movies do?

If not, what good purpose could they possibly have?

I want to look cool when confronted, so I can intimidate the bad guy with my

gun handling prowess. :)

I carry a AR15 pistol with three 30 round mags in my truck every day .

First if all a hand gun is better then nothing !

Seconed is that your CPL is just that a concealed Pistol License CPL.

The purpose of a hand gun is to help you to fight to a long gun !

Since we are speaking of a AR15 Pistol you can Legally carry this in your vehicle

Under your CPL .

Now look at the barrel lingth of these Weapons we are talking much larger then a pistol and just under federal stamped $$$ SBR Short berreled Rifle !

These Pistols use the same AR15 Magazines and Accessories and Ammo !

So you now have a 200 pluse yard pistol.

This is a true get you home gun !

So for a short answer .

Why Not carry a AR15 pistol ?

>These Pistols use the same AR15 Magazines and Accessories and Ammo !

So you now have a 200 pluse yard pistol.<

Unless you can shoot s pistol, accurately, at 200 yards, it don't matter WHAT ammo it's chambered for, you don't have a "200 yard pistol".

if it has an optic and you shoot it from a supported position it can be a 200 yard gun. lots of things can be improvised supporting positions. No you probably wont hold it in a typical pistol fashion and be hitting small targets at 200 yards. (unless you are Jerry Miculek or something)

I carry a AR15 pistol with three 30 round mags in my truck every day .

First if all a hand gun is better then nothing !

Seconed is that your CPL is just that a concealed Pistol License CPL.

The purpose of a hand gun is to help you to fight to a long gun !

Since we are speaking of a AR15 Pistol you can Legally carry this in your vehicle

Under your CPL .

Now look at the barrel lingth of these Weapons we are talking much larger then a pistol and just under federal stamped $$$ SBR Short berreled Rifle !

These Pistols use the same AR15 Magazines and Accessories and Ammo !

So you now have a 200 pluse yard pistol.

This is a true get you home gun !

So for a short answer .

Why Not carry a AR15 pistol ?

Well, you're technically not carrying it if it's in your truck. I frequently have my AR or Mini14in my truck too. But I'm "carrying" a 1911.

The only use I see for an AR pistol would be as a possible room clearing weapon on an assault team. But generally you want something that's able to be fired accurately from the shoulder for that.

Or just to have fun with on the range...which I can understand. :)

Archived