SASS Wire Forum

SASS target distances, in the beginning dayz ?

Well nowadays it's big and close. So perhaps back then it was not as big and not as close? Just a guess on my part

Dang good guess. :D

I seem to recall it was as much a game of skill as speed back then.

As Snakebite used to say, "Ya can't miss fast enough to win!"

How far back do you want to go?

I recall everything from 6" KD plates set on posts (some shooters were using RIFLE caliber long guns back then...including .45-70s) at 10-20 yards to a 4'x8' "prairie dog" pistol DUMP target at about that same distance (and a couple shooters getting their tails booted by the PM for missing it) to cardboard IPSC targets that were scored by area hits...all at annual matches.

Back when I first started, I bought 10 bottle targets for pistol targets they are 4 inches wide and 12 inches tall and look like a whiskey bottle. The neck tapered like a bottle and the effective are for shooting was about 4 inches wide and 8 inches tall. We shot them at about 10 yards. I got them from Artzen Targets but they don't offer them any more. He also had some that were similar to a moonshine jug but I don't know what happened to them but we would use them sometimes for pistol or rifle with the rifle close to 15 or 20 yards. We also had the Cowboys from him and a set of playing cards. One thing I have notices is the shotgun knock down target have gotten much small over the years as his knock down targets are big (and heavy) As far as distance, I remember 7 yards on Pistol, 10 yards on shotgun and 15 yards on rifle as minimum distance with 25 as max.

How far back do you want to go?

I recall everything from 6" KD plates set on posts (some shooters were using RIFLE caliber long guns back then...including .45-70s) at 10-20 yards to a 4'x8' "prairie dog" pistol DUMP target at about that same distance (and a couple shooters getting their tails booted by the PM for missing it) to cardboard IPSC targets that were scored by area hits...all at annual matches.

THX, PWB for chiming in :excl:

Just steel with normal main-match guns is all.

Target distance-Think'n from the start of SASS to when things started to go silly close.

This is for a 'retro-match', be'n put on by the RR-Bar Regulators in Nov.

So far, we are planing on, 'on the clock' reloads and carry'n a prop and such. Maybe even a pre-staged 3rd pistol. ^_^

The theme of this shoot will be from the movie "Dirty Dingus McGee".

Any guidance here would be very much appreciated.

Maddog-Those are kinda the distances, I remember. ;)

OLG

Wow Ace that really took me back. I started in May 96. We only used one pistol back then on itty bitty targets way out at at least 10 yards. If a second pistol was written in to a scenario it was furnished by the club and always staged somewhere, like in the strongbox under the buckboard seat from which yes we shot all the guns or on the shelf of the gun rack in the jail. The far left/west stage was the saloon and the rifle targets were set out in a string along the west borderline road starting at about 15 or 20 yards and going all the way out to 75 yards. Goofy stuff both on and off the clock were written in to EVERY scenario and there was always a "story" to be read. Ahhh, the good ole days, I sure do miss 'em. It was a better funner game back in them days, I doan keer whut anybody says diffrunt

From the 9th edition, Shooters Handbook, Feb 2000

Targets 16 in x 16in

Revolver 7 to 10 yards

Shotgun 8 to 16 yards

Rifle 13 to 50 yards

I will look to see if I can find anything older, I got rid of a lot of stuff when I moved last year.

Maddog McCoy

• ​Targets are set at close to medium range.
  • Metal and paper targets of generous size are used. Reactive targets such as pepper poppers and falling plates are used when practical to enhance shooter feedback and spectator appeal.

1991 SHB p,10

1999 SHB p.23

This worked until demands were made to further define those terms and conditions in 2000.

You can see how far the targets are and read the stages for yourself.

http://www.reloadammo.com/co030897.htm

AWESOME!!! Thank you!

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

• ​Targets are set at close to medium range.
  • Metal and paper targets of generous size are used. Reactive targets such as pepper poppers and falling plates are used when practical to enhance shooter feedback and spectator appeal.

1991 SHB p,10

1999 SHB p.23

This worked until demands were made to further define those terms and conditions in 2000.

Do you have a link to those? I can't find them.

THX,

OLG

It was a different game back then for sure. Things have evolved. Not saying things are better or worse. Just different.

Me, I can shoot straighter better than I can faster. I can also laugh at the extra stuff. I preferred the old days but still have my share of fun.

My first SASS shoot the pistol and shotgun targets were at a reasonable(not as close as now) range but the rifle targets were 30 to 70 yards out. The closer rifle targets were squirrels and you had to hit the tail and make it move for the hit to count. The farthest target was the standard silhouette javelina. You started in a train car sitting at a table reading a newspaper.. At the beep you folded the newspaper shot the pistol targets from the train window while sitting then ran out of the car to the saloon and shot two bird throwing shotgun poppers then back to the other end of the car for the rifle targets.

Another stage had you sitting at a card table across from a bad guy holding a drink with a "house" pistol with 3 round on the table under your hat. At the beep you threw the drink in the bad guys face, put the hat on your head and then shot the bad guy in the heart with all three rounds. They had to hit the heart for them to count. Then you got up and shot a 10-10-4 stage.

Another stage involved a bag of oats that had to be carried between shooting locations.

IIRC the top shooter was averaging around 45 seconds.

As I started to think about this I realized just how much the game has changed in the last few years.

I forgot about the trough that allowed a clay rabbit target to be rolled down to run across one stage. It was to be shot with a pistol.

Archived