SASS Wire Forum

my son may well have saved my life

Trigger Mike

my wife made burger with gravy. it was short on gravy and dry somewhat. as I was eating and talking to the children some went down the wrong way and i began to choke. i could not talk. i made the choking sign. i continued to struggle for what seemed an eternity. my wife came up beside me and said she did not know the hiemlich so my 11 year old son began to beat my back and my 7 year old beat the lower part. finally i felt a large piece break loose and come back into my mouth after a hard hit from my 11 year old son named Josiah. I began to finally spit out food and some blood onto my plate. the kids got grossed by it so my wife said for me to go outside if i need to spit instead of the kitchen. it took several more minutes to stop choking and spitting. my lungs still hurt today.

You shoul get checked out. There could be some esophageal damage.

And everyone should learn CPR and the Heimlich for just such an occasion as this. Glad you're still upright.

You had a close call pard. God isn't done with you yet! Treat those kids to something extra special!

Good thing those little gremlins love you, I'd say.

:-)

Now, you gotta take them out for ice cream!!

:-)

On a more serious note, were I you, I'd see an MD.... Your airway may be roughed up, or worse, you may have ingested (left behind) food particles into your lung(s), which often enough, causes pneumonia.

my wife went to see that movie about joey feel who died of cancer tonight so i took all 4 out to dairy queen and we ate there instead of bringing it home like we usually do. told my sons again tonight as well as last night thank you and hugged them.

How can anyone NOT know the Heimlich, it is simple as anything. Really. Take some First Aid classes, next time you might not be so lucky. Glad everyone is OK.

The Heimlich maneuver has been very good to my family. A good friend used it on me when I was choking, I used it on my son when he was choking, and my daughter used it to save a friend when she was about 15 years old.

I learned early on as a volunteer paramedic, if they are making noise they are fine. Leave them alone they will work it out. If they are not making any noise, go to work NOW.

Also the person who wants to kill themselves by holding there breath, let them. When they pass out they will start breathing again and wake up with a headache.

Glad your okay.

Also the person who wants to kill themselves by holding there breath, let them. When they pass out they will start breathing again and wake up with a headache.

I've given that advice to a friend or two who had the kids trying the "I'll hold my breath till I get what I want" routine. If they actually have the willpower to do it, they'll be breathing again before they know it.

Also, glad you're okay TM, good call on setting up a Dr's appointment.

Might not be a bad idea to contact your local fire department/ambulance crew. Around here, they offer classes quarterly for basic first aid and cpr certifications. It's never too early to know those skills. Plus, the earlier they start, the easier it is to remember everything as they get older. I was first certified in 7th grade. Been certified every 2 years since then.

Years ago, I was dating this gorgeous, petite little milky white thing with flaming red hair. Her young son, about 3 or 4, ate a Tostito (inhaled the thing whole) and was writhing around. She screamed at me to help him. This was before Heimlich. I tried to pry it out with my finger, but it was way down his airway! I grabbed him by his ankles, pulled him into the air and smacked him on the back sharply twice. No go. I let go of his ankles and performed a variation of what we came to know as the Heimlich. I was standing with him upside down, his knees bent over my shoulders, holding him against me with one arm, and I pressed three times, very sharply and hard up under his sternum. Out popped a pretty good-sized Tostito. Poor little guy was coughing blood and was scared half to death. We got him calmed downed and cleaned up and took him to 31Flavors for a large bowl of ice cream. We couldn't let go of the little guy until much later. Scared us all!

Many years ago (grade school age) one of my son's buddies had the same thing happen - a hunk of burrito caught in his airway. His older brother, who was maybe 12 at the time, did the Heimlich thing and whacked him 'til it was dislodged. The older lad, who was a young Boy Scout, received a very prestigious Lifesaving Award for his quick thinking and action.

Are your boys Scouts...? :)

not in scouts but they'd probably enjoy it. i got discouraged from scouts when my daughter came home from girl scouts and said they were taught that day that if she had 5 tomatoes and the girl beside her had none that she needed to give the other girl some to make it fair.

i did hug him two days in a row and thank him. his brother wanted to be thanked as well so gladly obliged. i sense some good in my sons. when the 11 year old was very small and afraid of a monster under his bed i reached under the bed to find the monster and the monster"grabbed my arm " or so my son thought due to my acting and though he was afraid he instantly grabbed me to pull me to safety away from the monster. I'm hard on him sometimes but i am looking for great things from him one day. I'm impressed by him sometimes,. today i went to take my tractor and till a piece of ground to plant and stopped to move several boards he had left and discovered an entire box of 1 inch screws scattered all around the area that would have certainly gave my tractor a flat. i got onto him for it but stopped short on purpose.

Archived