SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Hammers

Hardtack Henry

Howdy...I've been away from the Wire for some time and there have been a lot of rule changes since then. My question is: Are lowered hammers allowed on Ruger Vaqueros and if so what is recommended? Bisley or SRH?

Howdy HH.

Super black hawk hammers are a drop in part for Vaqueros, and legal for all categories. Bisley hammers will not work for vaquero.

Mackenna

Hardtack Henry, on 20 Sept 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:Hardtack Henry, on 20 Sept 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Howdy...I've been away from the Wire for some time and there have been a lot of rule changes since then. My question is: Are lowered hammers allowed on Ruger Vaqueros and if so what is recommended? Bisley or SRH?

Gamer.. :lol: ..are yours NMV's or the original Vaquero's? A lot of folks are changing the hammers out for the Montado hammers. They are made for the NMV's...the Ruger Vaquero Montado. They are lower and wider than the original ones on your NMV's. Talk to Jughead and Smoke Jensen. They both have them on theirs.

Gamer.. :lol: ..are yours NMV's or the original Vaquero's? A lot of folks are changing the hammers out for the Montado hammers. They are made for the NMV's...the Ruger Vaquero Montado. They are lower and wider than the original ones on your NMV's. Talk to Jughead and Smoke Jensen. They both have them on theirs.

Montado hammers are the exact size and shape of SBH hammers with different serrations on the hammer spur. And are easier to get.

Boggus Deal #64218, on 20 Sept 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Montado hammers are the exact size and shape of SBH hammers with different serrations on the hammer spur. And are easier to get.

Thanks BD...I don't shoot Ruger's but I know 2 that I shoot with do use the Montado hammers on their's. I didn't know they were more or less the same as SBH hammers.

Thanks BD...I don't shoot Ruger's but I know 2 that I shoot with do use the Montado hammers on their's. I didn't know they were more or less the same as SBH hammers.

My pleasure. Larsen E Pettifogger posted a pic a few days ago on here of them side by side. I'm going to find it and borrow the photo from him.

Ruger hammers are all pretty much interchangeable. Doesn't matter if it is an old Vaquero or a New Vaquero. In the photo on the left is a hammer out of an old Vaquero. On the right is a Bisley hammer. The Bisley hammer has a hump on the back on this can rub on the slot in the backstrap on some Rugers. As an experiement I tried putting Bisley hammers in plough handle old Vaqueros and they rubbed. Oddly enough they dropped right into several New Vaqueros. The rules now allow swapping of hammers regardless of their profile.

P6083159_zpsygqmp2zk.jpg[/u

If the Bisley hammers rub just remove a little material from the backstrap. (Or you can do it the hard way and try to grind down the hammer.)

[url=hP6083152_zpszin7bo9f.jpg

"The rules now allow swapping of hammers regardless of their profile." But it looks like everybody is doing it? Confused.

???? The rules allow the swapping of hammers and a lot of people are doing it. I don't understand your question.

Ruger hammers are all pretty much interchangeable. Doesn't matter if it is an old Vaquero or a New Vaquero. In the photo on the left is a hammer out of an old Vaquero. On the right is a Bisley hammer. The Bisley hammer has a hump on the back on this can rub on the slot in the backstrap on some Rugers. As an experiement I tried putting Bisley hammers in plough handle old Vaqueros and they rubbed. Oddly enough they dropped right into several New Vaqueros. The rules now allow swapping of hammers regardless of their profile.

P6083159_zpsygqmp2zk.jpg[/u

If the Bisley hammers rub just remove a little material from the backstrap. (Or you can do it the hard way and try to grind down the hammer.)

[url=hP6083152_zpszin7bo9f.jpg

+1 Although, I prefer to modify the Bisley hammer. It's the cheaper of the two parts and if you ever decide to go back to the original hammers, you won't have the huge gap between the hammer and the gripframe.

+1 Although, I prefer to modify the Bisley hammer. It's the cheaper of the two parts and if you ever decide to go back to the original hammers, you won't have the huge gap between the hammer and the gripframe.

On a lot of them the Bisley hammer drops in as Ruger puts a pretty big gap in there to start with. Cosmetically whatever works. The main point is that Bisley hammers will fit.

Hardtack Henry, on 20 Sept 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

"The rules now allow swapping of hammers regardless of their profile." But it looks like everybody is doing it? Confused.

I think Larsen is pointing out that until lately Bisley hammers were only allowed on Bisley's. That's correct isn't it Larsen? A shooter could have the original hammers lowered or swap for a lower profile hammer like a SBH or Montado, just not for a Bisley.

I think Larsen is pointing out that until lately Bisley hammers were only allowed on Bisley's. That's correct isn't it Larsen? A shooter could have the original hammers lowered or swap for a lower profile hammer like a SBH or Montado, just not for a Bisley.

Yes, the rule for a long time was that if you wanted to use a Bisley Hammer you had to also use a Bisley grip frame. That is no longer the rule.

Since we are discussing Ruger hammers we might as well discuss the Single Six hammers. On the left is a Vaquero hammer, on the right a Single Six hammer. The bottom sections of the hammers are the same. (Saves Ruger a lot of tooling costs.) Only the upper part of the hammer is different to reflect the different frame heights between the large and small frame Rugers. The hammers will interchange. That is why there is still a rule prohibiting installing a small frame hammer in a large frame. (And visa versa.) Essentially all Ruger single action hammers will interchange except for the Bearcat.

The second photo is a .32 Mag Single Six with a Bisley Hammer installed. (There are no SBH style hammers available for the single six.) On the single sixes you pretty much have to grind the hump off the hammer or you will have a very deep and cosmetically poor looking slot in the backstrap.

P9200354_zpsdvwte18e.jpg

P9200358_zps4b082wo4.jpg

Where could I purchase the Montado hammers? All I find is hammer kits to include new trigger and springs, etc. Just want the hammer.

Brownells, Midway,

Ruger.....(sometimes they will sell 'em)

Sometimes here:

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

Question has been asked here in 2013:

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214821

and again in 2013:

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214567

Good luck, GJ

Midway has the kit available for all types of vaqueros and blackhawks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1500376370/power-custom-montado-hammer-and-trigger-kit-with-wolf-spring-kit-ruger-single-action-blackhawk-super-blackhawk-large-and-small-frame-vaquero

If you want the super blackhawk hammer (I use these and love that big fat thumb pad and lower profile)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/841361/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-super-blackhawk-hunter-stainless-steel

Or just the Bisley hammer

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/797832/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-bisley-vaquero-stainless-steel

These are all stainless. Blued parts seem to always be special order with Ruger revolvers.

Where could I purchase the Montado hammers? All I find is hammer kits to include new trigger and springs, etc. Just want the hammer.

Don't get hung up on the word "Montado" or chances are you will come up short in your quest for hammers. The "Montado" and SBH (Super Blackhawk) hammers have the same profiles. The difference is that the Montado has shallow cast in checkering on the hammer spur and the SBH has deep serrations. The serrations give a better grip to your thumb. The Montado is a special model that is sold solely through one distributor - Davidson's. The hammer is also found on the SASS matched pairs sold by Ruger. They are limited production and most of the time if you call Ruger they will either say they don't sell them or they are "reserved for production" which means they are using most or all of the hammers in production guns. None of the parts distributors lists "Montado" hammers. They all list SBH hammers. If you truly insist on an actual "Montado" hammer with the shallow checkering chances are you won't find them. Also, the kit that has been referenced is not a Ruger product. It is a completely different animal than simply droping a new hammer in your gun. The kit is a half-cock kit so that the gun works more like a Colt style action.

In the photo from left to right is a stock hammer, a "Montado" hammer, the SBH hammer and a Bisley hammer.

topview_zpsor932ig2.jpg

Don't get hung up on the word "Montado" or chances are you will come up short in your quest for hammers. The "Montado" and SBH (Super Blackhawk) hammers have the same profiles. The difference is that the Montado has shallow cast in checkering on the hammer spur and the SBH has deep serrations. The serrations give a better grip to your thumb. The Montado is a special model that is sold solely through one distributor - Davidson's. The hammer is also found on the SASS matched pairs sold by Ruger. They are limited production and most of the time if you call Ruger they will either say they don't sell them or they are "reserved for production" which means they are using most or all of the hammers in production guns. None of the parts distributors lists "Montado" hammers. They all list SBH hammers. If you truly insist on an actual "Montado" hammer with the shallow checkering chances are you won't find them. Also, the kit that has been referenced is not a Ruger product. It is a completely different animal than simply droping a new hammer in your gun. The kit is a half-cock kit so that the gun works more like a Colt style action.

In the photo from left to right is a stock hammer, a "Montado" hammer, the SBH hammer and a Bisley hammer.

topview_zpsor932ig2.jpg

+1

Ruger will not sell me the Montado hammers because it would violate license agreements that they have with distributors...this is what customer service told me anyway. I'm still seeing folks getting them installed but I have no clue where they are getting them.

Ruger will not sell me the Montado hammers because it would violate license agreements that they have with distributors...this is what customer service told me anyway. I'm still seeing folks getting them installed but I have no clue where they are getting them.

Well, then go back and read Larsen's advice (with BD's confirmation) and act on THAT. You are way too focused on a name (Montado) instead of what the lower wider hammer designs can do for you (by getting a Super BlackHawk hammer, for example).

If Ruger has now decided that they won't part with the Montado hammers as parts, then that is what they have decided. You might as well go try to move a different mountain than that one.

Good luck, GJ

I'm still seeing folks getting them installed but I have no clue where they are getting them.

Guess you ought to ask one of those folks "that you see" who have recently installed Montado hammers, then.... :lol:

Did you not read what I wrote? I suspect most of the folks that think they have Montado hammers actually have SBH hammers.

Customer service also told us the other day they NEVER made a Montado with serrated front strap. His words were, "Well, I'm not calling you a liar for saying they are out there but we never made a Montado with a serrated gripframe."

I'll throw another hammer question into the mix for Larsen.

What hammer will fit the Ruger Old Army's? I think some people use other hammers but narrow the actual hammer face to work with the caps.

Thanks

Ike

Not Larsen but without major modifications, no other hammer will work in an Old Army. The OA only came with the one style of hammer and there are many gunsmiths who will well SBH or Bisley spurs onto the OA hammer.

Not Larsen but without major modifications, no other hammer will work in an Old Army. The OA only came with the one style of hammer and there are many gunsmiths who will well SBH or Bisley spurs onto the OA hammer.

+1. There is only one hammer for the ROA. If you see anything else they were custom made.

There's a lot of experience gathered in this thread, so I might as well add on too.

I have a pair of New Model Blackhawks (very early production according to serial number if that matters). Would any of the discussed hammers ("Montado" hammer, SBH hammer, Bisley hammer) work well in these revolvers, or would extensive fitting be required?

Thanks for any information!

DGD

There's a lot of experience gathered in this thread, so I might as well add on too.

I have a pair of New Model Blackhawks (very early production according to serial number if that matters). Would any of the discussed hammers ("Montado" hammer, SBH hammer, Bisley hammer) work well in these revolvers, or would extensive fitting be required?

Thanks for any information!

DGD

They will all work. The Bisley may require more fitting than the others. Larsen has had better luck than me, in that respect. I would not consider any of them completely drop in. Also, has been said above again and again, the Montado and the SBH are the same hammer with different checkering on the spur.

Customer service also told us the other day they NEVER made a Montado with serrated front strap. His words were, "Well, I'm not calling you a liar for saying they are out there but we never made a Montado with a serrated gripframe."

I'm thinkin' you called BS on that statement?

^_^

Montado%20grip%20frame2.jpg

I'm thinkin' you called BS on that statement?

^_^

Montado%20grip%20frame2.jpg

That's why I asked you for that. Wasn't trying to be an ass. Just trying to help. That was originally one of there big selling points for the Montado. Grooved/serrated front strap.

Archived